GSDX Internal Resolution
I manage to config and run PCSX2 well, but yet I still have some confusion 'bout GSDX. If I had learnt DirectX perhaps I didn't need to ask but I had not, so I think I need the confusions explained to me.

Okay, there're 3 resolution options: native, scaling, and custom res.

1. What is exactly the native resolution of the PS2? I see something looks like game resolution, which shows up on the title bar: NTSC games are usually 512x448, PAL's are 512x512, and 640x448 in progressive scan mode. Usually, not always. But whatever it is, the screen aspect ratio is always 4:3. If I change the window size to a square ratio, PAL games which are 512x512, look like crap.

2. How to correctly set the custom res? I see many ppl out there set it to their screen resolution, which is something like 1366x768, but I'm not sure if it affects the visual experience compared to using scaling.

3. The scaling option is to multiply the original res. But set it to 2x increase the GPU usage to 99% and slow down some GPU intensive games. But the native res doesn't look nice. So I want to use 1.5x res by manually modify the custom res. What should I do? (This question is related to the 2nd one)

4. According to Shadow Lady and Refraction, the blur effect in Final Fantasy X "is meant to be there" and is the result of "too accurate emulation". But I did not see it when playing FFX on my PS2. What is accurate here while it does not appear on the PS2 itself?

Sponsored links

1.Native is the game real resolution(the one you get when you play on your PS2)
2.Custom resolution is to just set the resolution to the exact resolution you want
3.Scaling is using the native resolution multiplied by the option you choose.
Using Scaling x2 on game that have native resolution 640x448 is the same as settings the custom resolution to 1280x896.
If you want 1.5 native on that game you should set 960x672 on custom resolution
Good to add that analog TV's didn't really had "pixels", but converting it would result in non-square pixels resulting square resolution being seen as 4:3 and that's also why trying to fit that "square" into an actual square results with a crap;P.

Internal res in pcsx2 also isn't resolution of the game we see in the end, it's just resolution in which surfaces are drawn, that's why custom res of your display res isn't really better than multiply of native.
Regarding the FFX blur effect, it is there on the PS2 (actually it's in a ton of games if you look out for it), but it's just quite a bit more subtle. For some reason, it doesn't scale well with increased resolutions and becomes obtrusive like that.
i think upscaling is an safer way of making a res because if you double the res it is less likely to get res related graphical glitches but if you have 1.5 then this will defy the propose of creating it Smile
(08-29-2011, 06:49 PM)Dusk Wrote: Regarding the FFX blur effect, it is there on the PS2 (actually it's in a ton of games if you look out for it), but it's just quite a bit more subtle. For some reason, it doesn't scale well with increased resolutions and becomes obtrusive like that.

its DoF.
real output for ntsc is 720x480 pal is 720x576. they different but they both scale to 4:3. anyway it's more or less unimportant for the internal rendering resolution that is used for the framebuffer.

most of the common effects should work quite well using a multiple or as close as exact custom fit to the frame buffer resolution and aspect ratio that is displayed on the gs window. using 4:3 resolutions is most of the times the cause of buggy behaviour, offsetting or ghosting.

also causing alota trouble is the 2 crtc read circuits of the output merger running different resolutions and stuff while that's not being noticed by gsdx.
Non-square pixel? So if I want to set my own custom res, I should follow the original width/height ratio? For example I have a NTSC game, whose native res is 512x448, to use 1.5x scale I have to set the custom res to 768x672 right? I use to think that I have to set it to 800x600 or 1024x768 to keep the 4:3 ratio.

The blur effect in Final Fantasy X can be fixed by set the skipdraw=1, I know. But I still want see if the blur effect disappears when I hook my laptop to my 25 inch TV. I'm going to try it now.
If that's the case you should be comparing "Native" output against the PS2's output, using higher resolutions will just make it more noticeable.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64