GS - PCRTC: [Bug Report] The King of Fighters 2000 [SLPS_251.56]
(10-23-2015, 11:32 PM).r5 Wrote: I haven't tested this yet but something like this happens in Devil May Cry 3. If you select 60Hz output, the image gets squashed and you'll get a black horizontal bar on the bottom.
Is there a resolution change between 50 and 60hz for DMC3? In KOF 2000 it's 640x256 regardless of 50 or 60hz mode, and it doesn't make a difference.

Sponsored links

(10-23-2015, 11:41 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Is there a resolution change between 50 and 60hz for DMC3? In KOF 2000 it's 640x256 regardless of 50 or 60hz mode, and it doesn't make a difference.

Stays at 512x512, independent of 50/60Hz.
EDIT: I thought about the possibility of the squashed output being the actual resolution of all assets and PAL mode just stretches it vertically. I can confirm that this is not the case for DMC3 when looking at official artwork and what the game outputs.
I just started Metal Slug 3 [PAL] and by pure coincidence it happened to have the same issue as DMC3. Fine at 50hz, but at 60hz a black bar is at the bottom. The black bar in this game is smaller than KOF 2000 and when playing textures apppear there that aren't missing from the rest of the game. So something is drawing it there and that might be why the bar is rendered on screen.

EDIT: No, it's only in the menu's and the very bottom of a level where there's a black bar in Metal Slug 3, if you are higher in a level the entire screen is used.
The thing is, apparently it's not a recently introduced bug. Can you guys try an old version of the emulator? Because I've tried with 0.9.8 and it was already there.

Is it possible that nobody ever noticed it before?
(10-24-2015, 07:37 PM)nachash Wrote: The thing is, apparently it's not a recently introduced bug. Can you guys try an old version of the emulator? Because I've tried with 0.9.8 and it was already there.

Is it possible that nobody ever noticed it before?

I tried stable 1.2.1 with DMC3, same thing. I wonder if GS dumps would help.
Sorry for the double post, but there's another case of the emulator not handling the aspect ratio/resolution (or whatever it is) correctly. In the demo of Gitaroo Man, the aspect ratio is 16:9 and the resolution is reported to be 640x576 but the image is incorrectly zoomed in.

Here's a GS dump, hopefully it'll be of help.

.7z   GitarooMan-BadScreenPos.7z (Size: 569,16 KB / Downloads: 256)
I think bug is related to this GSdx code
Code:
        if(dr[i].height() > 512) // hmm
        {
            int y = GetDeviceSize(i).y;
            if(m_regs->SMODE2.INT && m_regs->SMODE2.FFMD) y /= 2;
            r.bottom = r.top + y;
        }
It seems to compute the bottom position of the screen. It generate an height of 144 instead of 256.

If we remove this line
Code:
            if(m_regs->SMODE2.INT && m_regs->SMODE2.FFMD) y /= 2;
you will obtain the full screen + an extra black bar at the bottom.

Edit: it seems related to interlacing.
I just pushed a new git build that will print a warning message in dev build. Could you run it on the game and report it to me.
You can search CRTC in the log. Here a typical message.
Quote:Set GS CRTC configuration. Interlace Interlaced. Field Type FIELD. Mode PAL 640x512 @ 50.000 (49.76)
I am not sure how many people in this thread have a build environment installed to create debug builds...
Well potentially it will be printed if the good option is activated but I don't know. Recompilation is 1 minute so I never search the option.