GSDX Persona 3 Problems
I am doing a walkthrough of P3 for my YouTube channel but I am having some issue getting GSDX to work correctly with the game.

I get stuff like this happening in the Dorm and a lot in the main area of the school:

[Image: pcsx2-r18882010-12-2402-51-27-30.jpg]

I am using GSDX 890 SSE3 0.1.14, D3D10 Hardware, 1280x720 59hz, no interlacing, 16:9, native internal D3D Res, NLOOP and Texture filtering.

These settings give me the best fps while recording, but I still get some dips here and there curing conversations and a stead -10% to -20% fps at the school.
"I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" -- Laughing Man

[Image: ach.png]

Sponsored links

Try with the latest beta:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-off...ta-plugins
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Thanks Shadow Lady, that fixed a few things, but not the lag which I think might be traced back to my CPU. Did a few tests and it seems the lag I am getting is caused by PCSX2 and Fraps fighting over cpu cycles.

I set my window resolution to a much smaller 16:9 one that I can upscale to 1920x1080, 640x360, and the lag seems to be gone now but I have not tested it at the school or in battle, which is where the most significant lag was at.

And while the weirdness in my screen is gone, there is still a few places where the graphics seem to glitch, but it is hardly as noticeable as what I had before.
"I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" -- Laughing Man

Might I suggest using PlayClaw instead of FRAPS. Its a far superior recording option IMO. FRAPS made a name for itself back in the day when it was the only game in town, but since then it has become stale and *****. There is a better alternative now.
(12-27-2010, 05:12 AM)Xionanx Wrote: Might I suggest using PlayClaw instead of FRAPS. Its a far superior recording option IMO. FRAPS made a name for itself back in the day when it was the only game in town, but since then it has become stale and *****. There is a better alternative now.

Thanks for the tip, I might use this with some of my other walkthroughs, but when I use it with PCSX it causes GSDX to crap out, no video what so ever. Can't load the game properly unless it is not running and once it is running the game, starting PlayClaw causes the video to go blank.

It might be my settings though, still fiddling around with it.

EDIT:

Ok so I got it to load a game with PlayClaw running, still no video though.

You have to turn off Overlays in playclaw. There is a bug/flaw.. something in the way GSDX renders DX10 and DX9 hardware graphics. If your using overlays in PlayClaw the overlay, rather then being transparent, becomes completely black. If you attempt to use DX9 and playclaw, overlays are not shown at all, however it will cause PCSX2 to crash the very second you try to record.

Yes, I blame PCSX2 and GSDX for these errors and not PlayClaw. Why? Because I have used playclaw for virtually every PC game I own and never had these problems, so its only logical that there is something about the way PCSX2 and GSDX render that causes it. Likely the errors that your getting with FRAPS are related. Try TAXI or CAPTHA or etc.. one of the video capturing tools will probably work with it.
(12-28-2010, 06:58 PM)Xionanx Wrote: You have to turn off Overlays in playclaw. There is a bug/flaw.. something in the way GSDX renders DX10 and DX9 hardware graphics. If your using overlays in PlayClaw the overlay, rather then being transparent, becomes completely black. If you attempt to use DX9 and playclaw, overlays are not shown at all, however it will cause PCSX2 to crash the very second you try to record.

Yes, I blame PCSX2 and GSDX for these errors and not PlayClaw. Why? Because I have used playclaw for virtually every PC game I own and never had these problems, so its only logical that there is something about the way PCSX2 and GSDX render that causes it. Likely the errors that your getting with FRAPS are related. Try TAXI or CAPTHA or etc.. one of the video capturing tools will probably work with it.

Actually I am not getting any errors with fraps, its just graphical glitches and lag which is normal for fraps if I use a large resolution (it is perfectly lag free in my new res of 640x360). I have tried running PlayClaw with GSDX in DX10 and no overlays but it still causes the video to become black. This is a known issue over at the PC forums, quite a few people have had this.

As far as I can tell, its not related to settings but rather how PCSX2 operates in the directx coding, which somehow conflicts with PlayClaw.

For now I will continue recording P3 with Fraps, but PC has worked on my other games and I like what I see (full frames, 34 to 56, in Borderlands where Fraps gets only about 20 to 28).

I would not quite call it a Fraps killer just yet, its too young and has some compatibility issues, but it is getting there.

@OP: After getting the newest beta of PSCX2 (0.9.7 r3878) correctly configured, all issues (including the floor issues you posted above) have been resolved while cruising at 60fps during combat etc. The half-shadow problem for the main character is there, but it's such a great tradeoff.