GSDX Question
Wink 
Well, its a GSDX Specific Question. Please don't scold me for that. I want to know the differences between GSDX Hardware and Software mode.

Hardware modes is much faster and but sometimes have graphical bug and glitches. While Software mode is slower but very accurate in rendering graphics.

Note: They are not Game Specific. It's a general Question about GSDX.

So my Questions are
  • Why Hardware mode is buggy(sometimes) while Software mode is accurate? Hardware mode shouldn't have any problems like graphical glitches/bug.

• Can't Software mode render Graphics at higher Resolution than Native?

• Are post-processings enabled in Software mode? If so, then why?

Thanks for the Support. Smile
[Image: recodersignature2.png]

Sponsored links

emulating functions in software works around the issue that hardware doesn't necessarily replicate the same abilities as the GS.
(11-12-2011, 08:30 PM)recoder Wrote: Well, its a GSDX Specific Question. Please don't scold me for that. I want to know the differences between GSDX Hardware and Software mode.

Hardware modes is much faster and but sometimes have graphical bug and glitches. While Software mode is slower but very accurate in rendering graphics.

Note: They are not Game Specific. It's a general Question about GSDX.

So my Questions are
  • Why Hardware mode is buggy(sometimes) while Software mode is accurate? Hardware mode shouldn't have any problems like graphical glitches/bug.
    <br /><br />

• Can't Software mode render Graphics at higher Resolution than Native?
    <br /><br />

• Are post-processings enabled in Software mode? If so, then why?

Thanks for the Support. Smile

why do you think SW mode is more accurate and slower than HW mode

it is not because it only uses CPU to render stuffs no that isn't 30% of the reason because it codes are much longer , accurate and more complex
so it require more time to be run ! >> slower games

HWmode in the other hand is a whole different story GPUs aren't ment to emulate or can be used in emulation directly so HW use DX functions and somehow Gabest has manged to do so but it cost him at the beginning to write hacks instead of codes with time hacks has been replaced to accurate and short simple codes
but it cannot be replaced completely that is why we CRC hacks and HW mode hacks and a whole bunch of hacks that are activated by the command "if" Wink

and running SW mode at higher res would throw everything SW stands for in the window because it will require some work from the GPU not to mention losing it accuracy and complexity
I think SW mode is sometimes more accurate because sometimes in dbz bt 3 the characters should flash when charging for a super kick(forgot its name Tongue2) but in hardware mode it doesn't glows while in software its perfect.

You mean GPU aren't meant for emulation process? Wow thats weird.
GPU are designed to compute rasterization (rendering) efficiency. At the beginning, you didn't have any control of the GPU pipeline. Nowadays, you have a limited control of GPU through shaders (and some registers), but it is not fully progammable as a CPU. A GPU is composed of thousand of float execution unit so it is much more faster than a basic CPU. However there is a very high latency, so you must batch thousand of operation to be efficient.
The GS was built on a different model vs todays GPU's it was built to be a poly and fillrate monster and capable of quick state changes. While todays GPU's you are all about shaders.
Quote:While todays GPU's you are all about shaders.

Which are managed by context handlers in either dedicated hardware or software(driver) schedulers.
Switching the context of a shader has a noticeable affect on performance which is why multiple hardware schedulers are used now (on nvidia)

AMD was using software scheduling in the driver on their VFIW designs, which explains why so many titles suffer in performance until optimised drivers are ready, which partly explains their smaller dies (Fermi's scheduler takes up a significant area)
Hmm. seems to get a clear idea though thanks Smile
"Can't Software mode render Graphics at higher Resolution than Native?"
- No, it can't.

"Are post-processings enabled in Software mode? If so, then why?"
- Yes, as they simply work correctly in sw mode. They're disabled in hw modes due to missing GPU programmability.
No it doesn't works in Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 NTSC. Hardware modes looks fine while software mode has lines around characters.

Hardware mode :

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30090]

Software Mode :

[Image: attachment.php?aid=30355]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)