GSDX hardware/software mode toggle
I'm having a spot of bother with the F9 key to toggle hardware/software rendering.

In the game "Black" (Criterion) you have to start the game in software rendering mode in order to be able to see the sky. If you start the game in hardware mode, when you start a mission the sky will just be a featureless black void.

However I launch all my PS2 games from shortcuts using the "--cfgpath" command-line switch to point to a specific folder of ini files that I've created for each of my games with the optimal settings.

For Black I set up gsdx.ini with software rendering as the default so i can start any mission properly, thinking I can toggle to hardware mode with F9 to speed things up once I get in-game. What I'm having trouble with is that F9 does not toggle from software rendering to hardware rendering if the default is software rendering, it just stays on the default setting. However, if the default is hardware rendering, F9 will toggle correctly.

In the end I cobbled together a solution with save states, but it'd be nice if F9 would simply toggle between hardware and software mode and not worry too much about the defaults in the same way that F6 to toggle aspect ratios works.

Kind regards
Dave

Sponsored links

toggles both ways for me.
I think there is some kind of bug

If default mode is D3D?(HW) you will be able to switch between HW and SW modes

If default mode is D3D?(SW) you wont be able to switch between HW and SW modes,it "switches" from SW again to SW mode

If default mode is D3D?(Null)you will be able to switch between D3D?(Null)and D3D?(SW)modes.

If default mode is SDL 1.3(SW),if you try to switch,it will switch to black screen(with the speed of some software mode)and if you try to switch again,it will switch again to some software mode but the screen will stay black and the F9 key won't do anything anymore until you close=>Resume the game window(or go to the GSdx settings window and close it)

If default mode is SDL 1.3(Null),you will be able to switch once to black screen and the hotkey will not work anymore until you do one of the above.

With SW(Null)...switches once to D3D?(SW)and then pressing F9 just re switches to D3D?(SW) mode

And finally Null(Null),pressing F9 switches to D3D?(HW)and from then on,switches between D3D?(SW and HW mode)
Well as long as the program does what the code says it to do soo, it's not a bug, just a feature;P. We call it switching for easy understanding, but it's clearly stated as forcing software in the code. Personally I wouldn't touch it at all, just to allow some hacky workaround for one game, especially if there would be even slightest chance it could kill the current usability of it which forces reset of stuff that can get glitchy over time(like random ghosting in TOA), as it seems to do more than just switching in current state.

Considering it's just a stupid workaround not a fix in any way, the OP could as well run the game once, press F9 to switch to software, then restart it and it would start in software, then F9 and hardware again.;] But seeing the other "mega important bug report" thread it'll probably be much more troublesome for him to do it, than for anyone else changing the code for his liking. *sight* And my seeing-the-future skill tells me this is exactly reason nobody will bother.:3
Hmm,actually this may be a feature(how it's maded to work)because I just tried GSdx-r2693 and it was the same.
If you start pcsx2 with GSdx in SW mode,you won't be able to switch to HW mode with the hotkey
Quote:Considering it's just a stupid workaround not a fix in any way, the OP could as well run the game once, press F9 to switch to software, then restart it and it would start in software, then F9 and hardware again.;] But seeing the other "mega important bug report" thread it'll probably be much more troublesome for him to do it, than for anyone else changing the code for his liking. *sight* And my seeing-the-future skill tells me this is exactly reason nobody will bother.:3

<snort of derision>
Fixed in r5164.
(04-19-2012, 09:24 PM)avih Wrote: Fixed in r5164.

Many thanks indeed, that's great.

Kind regards
Dave
I used this alot last night while trying to finish Black (I never finished it even the on PS2!). Unfortunately it seems that a significant amount of memory is leaked each time the you switch renderers and after a while I started seeing initially slow performance and then out-of-memory errors. Just FYI.

Kind regards
Dave
Its broken again rama Laugh!