GSdx - "Texture Filtering"
Biggrin  so you miss all of those great Dark Cloud 3-8 games
No idea how did I type that rather than Dragon Quest 8

Sponsored links

(08-15-2015, 11:15 PM)dabore Wrote: what's so hard to decide that? Huh

default. how the game does it. means accurate emulation!?! and extra/force option. that should only be needed/available for upscaling and influence most 2d stuff tho. and why disable it? does it increase any speed? the standard bilinear? ...

The reason to disable it is because in 2D games, where pixel art/sprite art is prominent, the lack of a filter can increase sharpness of the sprites and game world. Depending on the 2D game, I will disable filtering.

I'm wondering, if the three tick box method doesn't work, what about bubbles? Disable, PS2 (Normal), Extra (Full), or something like that. Bubbles makes it easy, only have one bubble allowed to be activated and you know right away what you're selecting.
well... yeh. that'd mean default. the exact behaviour. relevant only for upscaling tho. and...

[rant]it's a lil tricky definition how default that 2d is to be upscaled tho. if the 2d in the game is rendered with filter too - maybe cause it's not pixel precise art - this can look weird. in that cases or generally hardcore pixel art games you just gotta render it in it's native glory. and blit it to the screen unfiltered. that's that done as precise as possible real quick. ofc this got it's scaling issues too. the irregular duplicating lines on arbitrary scales. does custom resolution help there? cause there's only that render to screen size trick. texture sample this 2d with coordinates from the screen resolution. pixel precise on target. might get a lil better picture. i dunno how alpha transparency samples in that tho. and how that works if you need sharp alpha clipping. but the "scaling" is a lil different. i thought about that a couple of times already. i got no idea howto implement that tho. or howto modify the custom resolution to get it that precise and easy.[/rant]
Quote:what about bubbles?

Cute name, I wish they were called bubbles, but they are called radio buttons.

Quote:it's a lil tricky definition how default that 2d is to be upscaled tho.

The fudge? I hate grammar nazis, but this sentence gave me cancer. That whole rant is something else. 

Anyway, the whole rant depends on how do you define a 2D game - which can be murky -, and what people prefer, sharp, filtered - which is completely subjective -. 

The nice thing about 2D games, is that they can be just run in native with almost the exact quality as the upscaled if not better - less bugs -. So you cannot really improve it much - without fancy filters -, but you cannot break it much either, since you can just play it in native with the best result possible.