GSdx - "Texture Filtering"
Okay, I see the (positive) difference between "forced on" and "on demand" in the FF12 GUI.
This is a hack though and maybe it should be treated as such.

The Breath of Fire screens show the negative effects of "forced on" vs "on demand".
With forced filtering the text is smeared together / barely readable.
(It happens to also hide the upscale artefacts, but those are a different issue.)

I believe the "filtering off" option is the least popular one at least?

Sponsored links

(08-15-2015, 02:04 AM)rama Wrote: I believe the "filtering off" option is the least popular one at least?

I'd say so,  the textures are very low quality and very blocky, presumably due to the memory limits causing developers to use really poor textures, then hiding the awfulness by filtering them, blurring the colours together.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Does SW use on demand like a real PS2?
(08-15-2015, 02:04 AM)rama Wrote: Okay, I see the (positive) difference between "forced on" and "on demand" in the FF12 GUI.
This is a hack though and maybe it should be treated as such.

How is it positive? The "forced" one adds a bugged dark background  to text similar to the one in the wiki example:

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/GSdx

Quote:I believe the "filtering off" option is the least popular one at least?

There are games like Disgaea 2 which has internal blurring, and the filtering doubles that blur. I know that is how it was intended, but having the option to disable the second blur - and a pnatch hack to remove the primary blur - is really nice.

Plus, it fixes many minor upscaling filtering glitches like this one from Mana Khemia:

None: (ignore the left side, I missed that up in the editor)

[Image: hUmBtRa.png]

Forced and demand:

[Image: 3NUId6Q.jpg]

And this one from Dark Cloud 2:

Forced and demand:

[Image: DWx0MCl.png]

None:

[Image: UAQdSc8.png]

Forced also adds dark pixels on the outline of some sprites:

On demand: (notice the candle flames and chains)
[Image: V3nstSL.jpg]

Forced:

[Image: ZUA8DZ5.jpg]
K.F :
In FF12 it also filters the blocky gui elements, which can be desireable. That's much like your Mana Khemia example making a point for forced off. I can see there's also some problems added in FF12 though. Those gui elements get extra bounary pixels that nearly bleed over into visible artefacts.

In any case, so far it looks like everyone is using this as a form of hack. It might be better to put it there, at least?
(08-15-2015, 01:25 PM)rama Wrote: In any case, so far it looks like everyone is using this as a form of hack. It might be better to put it there, at least?

You mean the option to force it? or have a filtering level in the hacks?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Probably to move it into the hacks window...Dark Cloud 8 looks kinda blurry with forced on.
At native with half on,it looks blurry
With full on,it looks really blurry
I'm still confused. Texture Filtering On demand mode isn't a hack, since it's an accurate representation of how the PS2 does texture filtering... so that option can't just go to the hack window. Having the ability to turn it off is nice because games that feature sprites and pixel art look better without texture filtering. The only "hack" that could be considered is the full on texture filtering, but why move just that one level to the hacks page? The current GSDX window looks fine, if anything anisotropic filtering is the real "hack".
And btw how is MSAA a hack but TF,AF and FXAA are not(they are not in the HW Hacks)
Isn't "Allow 8-Bit Textures" also a hack
(08-15-2015, 01:08 AM)refraction Wrote: those screenshots are too small to tell

And at last I could upload the 1920x1080 PNG screenshots:

[Image: pcsx2201508142344508.png]
[Image: pcsx2201508142344392.png]
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30 DDR5
Monitor: Asus PG278QR