GSdx - "Texture Filtering"
(08-15-2015, 04:19 PM)vsub Wrote: And btw how is MSAA a hack but TF,AF and FXAA are not(they are not in the HW Hacks)
Isn't "Allow 8-Bit Textures" also a hack

Those are not a hack because they aren't changing the emulation directly, where texture filtering is. Those are post processing effects done on the gpu.  Allow 8-bit textures is actually reducing the number of hacks as it's allowing 8-bit textures to be passed to the gpu instead of converting them up to 32bit like everything else.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Sponsored links

(08-15-2015, 04:19 PM)vsub Wrote: And btw how is MSAA a hack but TF,AF and FXAA are not(they are not in the HW Hacks)
Isn't "Allow 8-Bit Textures" also a hack

better question is why isnt Scaling a hack in the hack section cause it does more harm them msaa does in much broader sense too

Scaling is hack according to devs
If we had it your way guys, there would be nothing on the main config page for GSDX, just a button that says "Hacks" Tongue

(08-15-2015, 09:41 PM)refraction Wrote: If we had it your way guys, there would be nothing on the main config page for GSDX, just a button that says "Hacks" Tongue

yah i just saying it make no sense Scaling does more harm then MSAA does cause not everyone uses it and even when people do the issue it cause are no where as apparnt as what happens in scalling, and pretty much everyone use scaling and everyone can see the harm it does. or does it  benifts out way the harm it does and their for not cosider a hack?

Scaling/FXAA/MSAA/TF/AF are all enhance graphic quality there for they should all be in the main window, and the hack section is general there to FIX issues maybe hack section shouldnt be called HW hacks and  be called HW fixes cause it there to fix thing that rendering in HW causes
There is no doubt that scaling is a hack, however it is also a resolution option rather than just a hack fix for some games. MSAA should possibly be with the scaling and AF options in all honesty.

IMO all the resolution and aliasing/filtering options should be together on the main page and everything else should be in the hacks tab. That said the new OpenGL options are actually increasing the compatibility and emulation so disabling them is more of a speed hack.

tsunami2311:
Your reasoning makes sense, however: If we try to force every option into the perfect group, we'll end up with 20 groups and no more names to call them Tongue2

Let's stay on topic for now. The "how should GSdx handle bilinear filtering?" tick box with confusingly 3 states.

It's confusing users for years now (questions on what to select there appear regularly).
The fact is that there is one correct setting, which is "on demand", and 2 extra settings that are clearly hacks to change that normal rendering.
I realize these extra settings are somewhat useful to people, so they'll stay in some form or another.
The only question now is: Where? Smile
(08-15-2015, 10:23 PM)rama Wrote: tsunami2311:
Your reasoning makes sense, however: If we try to force every option into the perfect group, we'll end up with 20 groups and no more names to call them Tongue2

Let's stay on topic for now. The "how should GSdx handle bilinear filtering?" tick box with confusingly 3 states.

It's confusing users for years now (questions on what to select there appear regularly).
The fact is that there is one correct setting, which is "on demand", and 2 extra settings that are clearly hacks to change that normal rendering.
I realize these extra settings are somewhat useful to people, so they'll stay in some form or another.
The only question now is: Where? Smile

I would say TF options were confusing ALL these years I thought
TF-Checked= 3d/2d
TF-Box=2d only

I never knew
Box= on demand

till few weeks ago. Get rid of check box and use dropbox? it what  you's want to change everything too no? demand does the lest damage keep it as defualt? or instead of having hw config section the main window just have another window like we do for hw hacks?
Why not separate the GSdx options in 2 categories: hacks and features.

Features: any improvment that pcsx2 provides, that does not exist in a real ps2. Examples: Upscaling, MSAA, shaders, etc.

Hacks: any option that exist to work around an accurate emulation, or used to make a "feature" work properly. Examples: Skipdraw, CRC hacks, filtering options -since "on demand" is on by default, we don't really need an option for it, just for the other 2 that will override it -,etc.

The best thing about this setup is that it is very similar to the current setup with few changes.
(08-15-2015, 10:23 PM)rama Wrote: ... The "how should GSdx handle bilinear filtering?" tick box with confusingly 3 states. ...

what's so hard to decide that? Huh

default. how the game does it. means accurate emulation!?! and extra/force option. that should only be needed/available for upscaling and influence most 2d stuff tho. and why disable it? does it increase any speed? the standard bilinear? ...
(08-15-2015, 02:16 PM)vsub Wrote: Dark Cloud 8 

Don't play with my heart you bastard. You are too used to telephones I'm guessing.