GSdx mipmapping?
I know that mipmapping and hardware mode flat out do not get along, and never really have (at least, far as I can tell). I also know that the way the PS2 handles mipmapping is pretty much insane, and getting GSdx to support it in hardware mode at this point would involve wiping it clean and rewriting the graphics plugin from the ground up. What I want to know is if it's being worked on in any significant way.

Don't get me wrong here, I have a ton of fun with the program as is and I know software mode makes things cooperate as long as your system has the requisite oomph. Really, I just have a dream of being able to play Ace Combat 5 and the R&C games at an absurd resolution and want to know if it's something I can really look forward to and get excited about

Sponsored links

I don't think mipmapping will be implemented any time soon.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
To my knowledge nobody is working on this.
Gabest is showing up from time to time (like once per year) and releasing funny stuff. So maybe at some point he would surprise us. But it is not really probable. He is currently working on OpenCL which might solve your problems as well but using a different solution.
Pseudonym was the main pcsx2 coder of the gs plugin. Lately he didn't show up that regularly. And rewriting the HW mode is probably quite low in his priority.
Gregory played with gsdx a lot due to linux portability. But I think the core/architecture of the plugin was not touched very often by him. And since there are a lot of other stuff to implement/port I would not expect that he rewrites an entire plugin.

So bad news for you. But since cpu's get stronger and stronger usage of the software mode is almost common nowadays for games that suffer in HW. Upscaling for SW is not implemented so far but would need much less coding. Unfortunately upscaling in SW would increase requirements again a lot which can might be compensated by many-core cpu's.