GSdx10 much slower than 9 ... why?
Hi,

With both PCSX2 0.9.6 and the public beta 1888 (using plugins native to each), I'm unable to use GSdx10 even though I have a DX10-compatible graphics card (Radeon HD 3200).

dx9 works at pretty much full speed, but is sometimes a tiny bit slow. My impressions in reading in the setup guide and elsewhere is that dx10 should be at least as fast, if not faster. However, dx10 is so slow as to be unusable. Is there an obvious answer to this question?

I'm not at the PC right now so can't give full specs, but here they are in brief:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 4850e (2.5ghz dual core)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: Radeo HD 3200, 128MB sideport dedicated vram

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Sponsored links

are you, maybe using Win xp ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Whoops, I knew I'd left something out in my short, lame specs list. Sorry.

I'm using Win7 Pro with the latest DX and C++ packages installed.
Also the latest catalyst drivers for the Radeon.
The vga card is super weak, it's no surprise the dx10 mode is slower on this.
(03-29-2010, 09:07 PM)rama Wrote: The vga card is super weak, it's no surprise the dx10 mode is slower on this.

Oh. Well, I figured the card was weak, but had the notion that it would be "optimized" for dx10 as opposed to 9.

So I guess the end result is that in order for DX10 to be faster than 9, you have to have a relatively fast card?

Thanks.
I can't say for a fact, but I can say that in my experience certain games just run better for me in dx9. But the newer games I believe I ran in dx10
Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo PM8600 @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 512 MB

Desktop
AMD Phenom II x2 550 (unlocked to 4)@ 3.5ghz
4 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Sapphire 5770 1GB
Thanks all!

I figured that since the PS2 is "relatively old" that my "relatively new" GPU could handle it. Oh well.
Since DX9 seems to work okay for now, I can live with it, but I'm glad my curiosity is quelled.
But still GSDX10 is more optimized and runs better almost on all games...in others there are graphical bugs due to incompability
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
Hmm. I've tried this with several games and it's all the same: DX10 is so slow as to be unplayable. Even the PS2 BIOS screen (the one with the colored lights and transparent cube) is crazy slow, so it doesn't seem to be game-specific for me.

Well, I guess I'll keep messing around with it and hope that 0.9.7 might bring a change, whenever it comes out (the beta plugins released on March 20 gave me problems, so I've avoided them so far).
It's clearly your graphics card, which can't handle DX10. No new emulator version will change that I'm afraid
[Image: newsig.jpg]