GSdxOGL - Hardware Renderer
First, let me express my joy that for the first time ever I was actually able to play games in PCSX2 yesterday. I have tried everything, even the whole 32-bit chroot compile and install, over the last two or three years, but yesterday it worked out-of-the-box for the very first time. That box in particular is greg's ppa.

The GSdxOGL plugin works very well when using the software renderer, but the hardware renderer is painfully slow.

I understand from some other threads here that GSdx is still in progress being ported to OpenGL, and the OGL port of it lacks some of the functionality of the orignal Direct X version.

Exactly how far apart are these?

As far as I can tell, hardware Direct X is working well for windows users (I have no windows systems to test this), but hardware OGL is crippled.

Sponsored links

By the way, specs:

PCSX2: svn 5213-2 (gregory hainaut's ppa)
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
CPU: Core i7 2700k (oc: 5.0Ghz)
RAM: DDR3-1600 16GB
GPU: GeForce GT220 DDR3 1GB (oc: GPU @ 700Mhz, MemClk @ 900Mhz)

My graphics card isn't top-of-the line, but it's stable at that overclock and peforms very well with other games and emulators for linux.
I'm not a developer but have followed the project fairly closely for the past few years, so I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly how far apart Directx and OGL will eventually be.
Windows GsDx DirectX support is mature compared to the linux GsDx which is relatively new. Hardware OGL on gsdx is currently known to be slower than software OGL at the moment, and it's included as a work in progress; work started in earnest on the software OGL version around nine months ago (as far as I remember, from browsing the changelog at pcsx googlecode) so give the hardware time.
I'd expect you to get decent performance in many games in software OGL with Gsdx, as The software OGL works pretty well for me in many games with a Phenom II overclocked to 4GHz and four cores assigned to rendering; but even at that it produces only about 30 FPS in demanding games like Gran Turismo 4. However, improvement has been steady and a lot of work is going into OpenGL hardware support. Keep waiting and speed improvements will happen Smile
With a CPU like that and a GPU like that, I'm not sure you'll ever really get a lot from hardware mode. Might even be worse than software.
Yes it needs time Smile

1/ I have some serious bug on my AMD drivers, most of games just crashes. I'm dreaming to a working opengl3.3 opensources drivers but probably won't happen before 2014.
2/ I need a better opengl debug/profiling tools. There only 1 on linux apitrace, hopefully it is opensource so I can improve it. Well actually there is another tools gDebugger but I can't even open file without a crash of the tool...
3/ Recently I spend most of my free time to improve the GLSL backend of zzogl. It is important because there is some copyright issues between pcsx2 and nvidia cg.

Be patient. it would take months to have a usable opengl backend for GSdx.
Do you know how often you will be updating the PPA greg?

And my attempts with the hardware Gsdx is crashes as well. Tongue
Well if you have an AMD GPU, I don't kow how to fix the crash. My scedule is full at the moment, I try to update it after some various fix.
(06-17-2012, 02:50 AM)agent00skid Wrote: With a CPU like that and a GPU like that, I'm not sure you'll ever really get a lot from hardware mode. Might even be worse than software.

Are you sure that makes sense?

It seems to me, by experience with other games and emulators, that the speed of software rendering can always be improved upon by hardware rendering (when the hardware renderng is properly implemented).

Also, the 2700k is still a high-end cpu, though it's not top-tier since last quarter, and I have it pumped up just about as far as it will safely go.
My GT-220 is getting old for sure, but it does very well with a high overclock.

One day I'll have money and make a proper supercomputer.
(06-17-2012, 08:00 PM)gregory Wrote: Yes it needs time Smile

1/ I have some serious bug on my AMD drivers, most of games just crashes. I'm dreaming to a working opengl3.3 opensources drivers but probably won't happen before 2014.
2/ I need a better opengl debug/profiling tools. There only 1 on linux apitrace, hopefully it is opensource so I can improve it. Well actually there is another tools gDebugger but I can't even open file without a crash of the tool...
3/ Recently I spend most of my free time to improve the GLSL backend of zzogl. It is important because there is some copyright issues between pcsx2 and nvidia cg.

Be patient. it would take months to have a usable opengl backend for GSdx.

Thanks for the news!

I am also interested in zzogl, but at the moment it produces very garbled graphics.
I haven't noticed any significant difference between 0.3.0 and 0.4.0 Sad

I don't know if you have any idea what ever happened to Peter Bernet who seems to have dropped off the face of the internet.
If you could find him, his advice on opengl implementations would be invaluable.
He also created similar DirectX/OpenGL plugins for PCSX with nearly identical features and performance, which leads me to belive he found a way to seamlessly wrap or translate the APIs.
(06-22-2012, 04:16 PM)quequotion Wrote: Are you sure that makes sense?

It seems to me, by experience with other games and emulators, that the speed of software rendering can always be improved upon by hardware rendering (when the hardware renderng is properly implemented).

Also, the 2700k is still a high-end cpu, though it's not top-tier since last quarter, and I have it pumped up just about as far as it will safely go.
My GT-220 is getting old for sure, but it does very well with a high overclock.

One day I'll have money and make a proper supercomputer.

Don't take my words too strongly, not very versed in PCSX2 performance.

Could just see your GPU being a bit old, and know a 2700k is pretty powerful, so aren't sure transitioning graphics from what remains available from the CPU to the GPU would be better. Though it's still possibly it might be a lot better.