GT4 (ntsc) + best settings
Wink 
This is for GT4 NTSC only

This topic's purpose is to define what you how you can do to get best speed and graphics, but also to list the remaining issues.

Known bug:
- GT4 doesn't start? (Old pcsx2 release issue)
=> Try latest pcsx2
=> Disable intro movie (options>misc>...)
=> On older release (setting VU clamp to extra fix this)
=> Get the pnatch patch for skip intro movie

- Cannot pass licences, and many tracks crash?
=> Go 480p (options>screen>...)

- Huge slowdowns at the start of a race?
=> Go 480p

- Crash during race loading -in 480p maybe anyway-?
=> set internal resolution lower than it is right now

- Slowdowns in some part of track (for wide screen): try setting game resolution to 16:9 and gsdx to stretch. Don't play fullscreen, just resize the windows to the size of your monitor. It does reduce the framedrop (It's better than nothing).

-

Recommanded configuration for 60fps @95%: (even in slowdowns it doesnt go under 55 so it is hardly noticiable)

*Hardware*
Cpu 4Ghz+ C2d (e8xxx or e7xxx)
Cpu 3.8ghz+ C2q (q9xxx)
=> you need your cpu to support sse 4.1 to run it smoothly

Graphics 48xx, 38xx ati series
8800gt, 9800xxx, GT 2x0 nvidia
=> you need a good card that support dx10

Recommanded configuration for 60fps @80%:

*Hardware*
Cpu 3.6Ghz+ C2d (e8xxx or e7xxx) 3.8ghz c2d (e5xxx)
Cpu 3.4ghz+ C2q (q9xxx)
=> you need your cpu to support sse 4.1 to run it smoothly

Graphics 48xx, 38xx ati series
8800gt, 9800xxx, GT 2x0 nvidia
=> you need a good card that support dx10

*Software*

Plugins: (always try to get the last one)

Graphics: gsdx 1.1.14
=> Dx10 hardware
=> Vsync on
=> native off, set internal resolution to 800x600, 1024x800, 1280x1024, depending on your graphic card. Try native if your card is just not good enought.

Pad: Lilypad 1.9.10 (support vibration, works great with xbox360 pad)
=> I would recommend to associate right stick vertical axis to triggers -with x360 pads- so that you get analog acceleration and breaking like in forza for instance)

Sound: SPU2-X 1.1.0
=> interpolation linear is recommended, none is fine and slightly faster)
=>set time stretching on
=>set disable effect processing off (except if your cpu is 100% all the way)

===============
Cpu:
=> Make sure dual core mode is enabled
=> Set fps limit to auto (forget about vu skip or frameskip)

Game fix: None

Patch:
=> Skip intro (optional), see known bug

Speed Hack:
=> IOP X2: on
=> INT Hack: on (doesn't change much seems to stabilize the framerate)
=> EE speed X3: on (try X2 if the game seems slow)

Advanced: (for 0.9.6+ releases only -works for somme before but just to be safe...-)
--best cpu saving cfg, without drawbacks)--
EE round mode: Chop
EE clamp mode: none
EE: denormal are zero and flush to zero on
VU round mode: Chop
VU clamp mode: Extra (none work fine but use more cpu!!!)
VU: denormal are zero and flush to zero on

Ok so now you are ready to enjoy GT4 in good conditions... but not in the best one. Here is the goal of the topic: gt4 is almost fine but there is some issues that we need to look at. The pcsx2 team has is doing a GREAT work, and the project is very active. As a gran turismo series fan, it is our mission to make sure our favourite title ever is part of it Tongue.

Bugs that needs to be fixed

(those you cannot go around at that moment):

- No car reflection (try SW mode and see the difference)
- No road reflection (try SW mode and see the difference)
- Issue about the way circle items turn (wheels, loading menu animation, looks fine in software mode) => the center isn't fixed
- Intense lights kills the framerate (see known bug for partial solution)
=> opera cannot be played smoothly whatever resolution you choose
(issue way less important in svn 377)
- Blinking lights (on night tracks such as opera or hong kong you can see light blinking weirdly and so does headlights)

Feel free to ask me any questions about the game, or to correct what i said or my spelling -i'm french, i do my best-. I really hope that those ennoying bug will get fixed sonner or later.

PS: Keep in mind that i have tested hundreds of possible settings on many SVNs.

Thx to everybody helping improving Gt4 enjoyability on pcsx2 Smile!!!!!

my config (please post yours when reporting bugs):
Win7 beta 7057 (x64)
Q9400 @ 4ghz
Ati 4870 512mb
4gb ddr @ 1ghz

Sponsored links

.. I'd like both of you to keep in mind a few things.

1) For help, general comments or anything else please refer to the general discussion forum <- No settings here. Bug reports only. Moved to general. That is not some sort of "speed guide with hacks on forum".

2) This forum is meant to be SPECIFICALLY an aid to the coders, NOT to the users. As such, it is strictly regulated. <-- if you need to talk with someone about something, do it somewhere else or in pm, both of you. Don't post back and forth 8 times in that forum

3) There will be no support for modified versions of pcsx2, nor any link to unofficial builds. <-- that does include suggesting to use them, yes.

EDIT: besides, renamed. most of what you say is eiter gsdx related (which means it does not belog to bug reporting forum) or regarding speed (same...)
...one question bout 480p video mode, is it a 30, 59 or 60Hz mod? The picture is better on NTSC under 480p mode!

cheers...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
i guess you mean its 60fps, and yes i looks better, it is less buggy, it is less charge on the video card... it is a cool feature to bad pal version didn't get it
(03-16-2009, 04:24 AM)standrs Wrote: I was hoping to see such a thread opened, but since nobody did it i will do it myself Ninja. So here is the topic of GT4 real bugs.

You didn't search well, because I made almost the same thread a few days ago, but on the correct forum part --> http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4770.html

You repeated most of the things and you added some information on the config that (for me) depend on the rig so I didn't mention that. But I disagree on some parts, or I'm not sure it will work everywhere like that because for example it doesn't for me :

Quote:- Crash during race loading -in 480p maybe anyway-?
=> Set internal resolution lower than X2 supersampling (ie don't go over 1280x1024 it will crash -and i don't know the exact limit-)

I don't know where you found this because I never crashed during race loading with 480p mode and I finished the game. And my internal res was above 1280x1024 xD As I said it may depend on the rig..

Quote:- Slowdowns in some part of track (for wide screen): try setting game resolution to 16:9 and gsdx to stretch. Don't play fullscreen, just resize the windows to the size of your monitor. It does reduce the framedrop (It's better than nothing).

Yeah it's better than nothing I tested it, well the framedrop is a little less important but that doesn't change anything on some specific places, we will have to wait for a proper fix I guess :'(

Quote:Graphics: gsdx 1.1.14
=> Dx10 hardware
=> Vsync on
=> native off, set internal resolution to 800x600, 1024x800, 1280x1024, depending on your graphic card. Try native if your card is just not good enought.

I played a lot using my desktop res in GSdx internal res, that was fine, but in fact the game looks better using the two same values in internal res. A visible example would be on the texts in the menus and the champ text descriptions which are less blurry, the cars look better too in race.

Quote:Speed Hack:
=> IOP X2: on
=> INT Hack: on (doesn't change much seems to stabilize the framerate)
=> EE speed X3: on

For the X3 EE speedhack, it also seems to depend on the rig, maybe it's fine for you but for me it's unplayable on some locations the image just flickers like hell, X2 is running perfect.
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.7Ghz - Geforce GTX 280 1Go OCed @ 640/1400/1200 Mhz - 4Go RAM Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series - Windows Vista Ultimate x64
i'm sorry for the post repetition i saw yours, few days ago... but the initial purpose was bug description and ways to baypass them for people with good cfg.
Maybe we could merge our posts...

can you try 1400x1050 it did crash on my computer
X3 seems quite fine to me... except without vsync (is that enabled for you)

thx goldenX
RIG = PC
omg, you DON'T need 4ghz. I would never overclock my e8400 to 4.0, and i don't recommend it to anyone at all! My is on 3.6ghz. It runs good, temperature is always 39°c and i will not make it faster.
(03-16-2009, 07:00 PM)fischkopf Wrote: omg, you DON'T need 4ghz. I would never overclock my e8400 to 4.0, and i don't recommend it to anyone at all! My is on 3.6ghz. It runs good, temperature is always 39°c and i will not make it faster.

Indeed it's not needed to have a 4Ghz for GT4 (that's why I mentionned 3.5 to 3.6 in my thread which is "enough"), but it helps if you want an almost constant 60 FPS and especially if you want better graphics by pushing the internal res. GT4 is still one of the most demanding PS2 game to emulate don't forget that Wink So it will depend on the way you want to play it, if native res is enough for you or not Wink
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.7Ghz - Geforce GTX 280 1Go OCed @ 640/1400/1200 Mhz - 4Go RAM Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 - Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Series - Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Yo ppl, I finaly got my NTSC version of GT4, & guess what, the fps is lower then on PAL version, in fact, fps is the same, where PAL got 35-50, NTSC got's also, but problem is that NTSC vs PAL is full 60fps vs 50, & there is a minus of 10fps! What should I do? BTW, game is playeble, good playeble... But I'm running it on limit 30 so it's half speed constant! xD

Cheers...

Edit: ...now in game video sequences work, menu etc.! xD
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X