GTA: LCS 10% slowdown spikes
v1.5.0-dev-3203-g56b861250
[Image: Screenshot-422.png]

Intel Core i7-A8750H @ 2.20 GHz
GTX 1060 6 GB
16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz

In Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, I get a short, sudden ~10% speed drop every now and then. In Vice City Stories and San Andreas, however, things are different. VCS has drops of almost 20% in speed, but they're much shorter and less frequent, while I had absolutely no such issues in SA.

Meanwhile, this guy with a similar setup (read description) didn't seem to have a single problem in his 3 year old showcase, PLUS he claims to have set 8x internal resolution, which lags horribly if I try it!

The speed issue doesn't make the game unplayable and I'm pretty sure I can adapt to it if no solution is found, but I'd definitely prefer to have a better experience.

Thank you in advance!

Edit: this thread now also focuses on the removal of the trail effect that makes the game very blurry. The YouTube video I linked is not relevant any longer as the performance impact makes it a bad workaround for "disabling" the effect.

Sponsored links

try EE cycle stealing at +1 instead of sliding at the very left....
also kindly check the CPU usage via the task manager.

*i have that san andreas game thing.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Keep in mind that LCS was a massive crawlfest even on the original PS2
only he has the PC version.....all because he demanding a save states or cheats or 4K codes

if he set to x8 native he will get slowdowns similar so R&C series
Nah. My main concern are the "trails" (and the slowdown spikes, of course) that cannot be disabled in LCS but can be in VCS. By setting a very high internal resolution, the effect is hardly noticeable, but that takes a lot of performance. I don't want it -- is there a cheat for this or something?

And, again, how is it possible that the author of the video I linked managed to have such great performance at 8x internal resolution?
I wouldn't call your setup similar to one that guy have there. He got cpu that run 4 GHz on all cores without turbo, and 4,4GHz on single core turbo. All that assuming he didn't overclocked, which is probably not true since he got K processor. This giving him ~200 points better STR out of the box. 6 vs 4 cores probably won't matter for PCSX2 too much (+HT). GTX 1060 vs 1070 also make difference. Btw. make sure there is no throttling in your case.

About disabling trails. Try some skipdraw settings, maybe it helps.
(07-31-2019, 12:52 AM)smartstrike Wrote: try EE cycle stealing at +1 instead of sliding at the very left....
also kindly check the CPU usage via the task manager.
Didn't help, FPS goes very low at times.
CPU usage is at about 30% while playing. No difference when the game slows down.

(07-31-2019, 12:23 PM)kozarovv Wrote: Btw. make sure there is no throttling in your case.
About disabling trails. Try some skipdraw settings, maybe it helps.
Sure, I'll buy a new laptop cooler.
...yeah. :/

Even after removing layers 1-999 I get the same problem. Thanks anyway.
Edit: oh whoops, I thought it was to remove the slowdown spikes. Never mind then, thanks
(07-31-2019, 01:50 PM)BorbingoBoy Wrote: Didn't help, FPS goes very low at times.
CPU usage is at about 30% while playing. No difference when the game slows down.

whats the EE% reading if that is at maxed the CPU cannot handle that anymore
for GS% it's video card cannot handled it
(08-01-2019, 01:05 AM)smartstrike Wrote: whats the EE% reading if that is at maxed the CPU cannot handle that anymore
for GS% it's video card cannot handled it
It doesn't fix the slowdown issue and both EE and GS never reached 100%.
Edit: disabling MTVU might have slightly reduced the amount of slowdowns, but they still happen. I guess I can live with it.

The game is still super blurry from the trails that cannot be disabled in the game itself. I tried skipdraw settings and figured the range where I assume the effect is in, but I noticed that everything that's removed slowly appears back every now and then. How do I prevent that?
It's possible that you're running the Software renderer. Check your Gsdx settings and make sure that you are running in OpenGL Hardware.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!