GTA Liberty City Stories slowdown
Hi, I'm trying to emulate GTA LCS but it keeps slowing down during hectic moments. Can anyone help?

Specs:
Intel Core i7 4710HQ @ 3.5GHz (8 CPUs)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860m
8 GB RAM

pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2267
LCS and VCS US NTSC-U version
[/url]
[url=https://imgur.com/a/gJ1hH]settings

But Vice City Stories runs smoothly with no slowdowns.

Sponsored links

Is it real slowdown on your PC - like FPS dropping below 60, or internal? The games have internal performance problems which can be reduced by changing the EE Cyclerate slider.
(01-31-2018, 04:33 PM)CK1 Wrote: Is it real slowdown on your PC - like FPS dropping below 60, or internal? The games have internal performance problems which can be reduced by changing the EE Cyclerate slider.
I think it's my PC.
(01-31-2018, 03:23 PM)Gummy Wrote: Hi, I'm trying to emulate GTA LCS but it keeps slowing down during hectic moments. Can anyone help?

Specs:
Intel Core i7 4710HQ @ 3.5GHz (8 CPUs)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860m
8 GB RAM

pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-2267
LCS and VCS US NTSC-U version
[/url]
[url=https://imgur.com/a/gJ1hH]settings

But Vice City Stories runs smoothly with no slowdowns.
Are you by any chance using a Laptop ?
| AMD FX 8800P (6TH GENERATION) | RADEON R7 | 15.6" (1920x1080) | 12GB DDR3 |512 GB SSD | B&O AUDIO |
[Image: 3qDRIkgl2iQh.png]
| INTEL CORE i7 4700 MQ (OC'ed to 3.6) | INTEL HD 4600 (OC'ed to 1350) | 15.6" (1366x768) | 6GB DDR3 | 750GB HDD | BEATS AUDIO |

http://fb.com/not.windows

(01-31-2018, 09:20 PM)Gummy Wrote: I think it's my PC.

Heh, my old laptop has the exact same CPU/GPU. The i7-4710HQ can handle a fair amount of games but is still below the recommended STR for demanding ones and you'll notice slowdowns in such games. That said...

Is your slowdown the in-game framerate, meaning you can see with your eyes that fewer frames are coming out, or is the FPS counter in the window frame dropping? If the FPS counter in the window frame is dipping below 59.9 FPS, that's a sign that your CPU (or GPU, but that 860m should be fine if you don't push past 4x native and keep MSAA disabled) isn't able to keep up. If your CPU can't keep up, lowering the EE cyclerate can, but not always, help. If it's just the game's framerate itself looks slower, then increasing the EE cyclerate can help, but going back to your CPU, this is probably not gonna work well unless that's a lightweight game.
It's the emulator. PCSX2 is notorious for slowdowns in both those games even on the most powerful CPU imaginable. The best thing you can do is make sure MTVU is turned on and make sure you tick Allow 8-Bit Textures. That should help quite a bit. I've used both AMD Phenom II X6 and AMD FX 8 core based processors and had little or no slowdown in those games with those settings. Just don't forget to untick Allow 8-Bit Textures when not playing those games. I wish you the best.

Take care.
The only other thing you could try would be reduce your EE by one. I don't recommend anything lower than that. I also don't recommend using dev builds of PCSX2 as they can be potentially unstable. Your best option in my opinion is use the latest official stable release 1.4.0 with default settings and go from there.
Based on the image you provided I think you played with your settings to much. Best start with a clean install.
(02-02-2018, 04:24 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: I also don't recommend using dev builds of PCSX2 as they can be potentially unstable. Your best option in my opinion is use the latest official stable release 1.4.0 with default settings and go from there.

Dev builds aren't unstable, commits get checked over pretty well before they merge. Really if you're using 1.4.0 at this point you're setting yourself up for disappointment, since there's been a LOT of improvements since.
The fact that they're checked before they merge of course is a good thing and I'm aware of some of the improvements that have been made since 1.4.0 but the fact is they're still development builds. Kinda like beta drivers would be considered. Personally I think it's best people be patient and wait for the next official release of PCSX2 rather than download a new development build practically every other day. Not exactly a practical option in my opinion. That's my main point.