GTA Liberty City Stories slowdown
(02-02-2018, 05:35 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: The fact that they're checked before they merge of course is a good thing and I'm aware of some of the improvements that have been made since 1.4.0 but the fact is they're still development builds. Kinda like beta drivers would be considered. Personally I think it's best people be patient and wait for the next official release of PCSX2 rather than download a new development build practically every other day. Not exactly a practical option in my opinion. That's my main point.

I get your point.
downloading directly latest git withtout testing with stable version could be a bad idea.

That said, suggesting trying dev buils when you have tested on stable is a kind of "last resort" solution. and can be considered if you ask me.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

i always use the dev builds and never found any problem with them, a lot of progress has been made since the last stable release and we don't see one since a long time ago, so it does not hurt to try them :-)
(02-02-2018, 05:35 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: The fact that they're checked before they merge of course is a good thing and I'm aware of some of the improvements that have been made since 1.4.0 but the fact is they're still development builds. Kinda like beta drivers would be considered. Personally I think it's best people be patient and wait for the next official release of PCSX2 rather than download a new development build practically every other day. Not exactly a practical option in my opinion. That's my main point.
People should try the development builds. They're not very beta in the sense that a new build will often break things, and the improvements since 1.4.0 aren't exactly minor. There's a bigger chance it fixes something broken in 1.4.0 than the other way around. And you can keep your 1.4.0 stable version installed and just unzip v1.5.0 to a completely separated folder. You won't mess anything up and can keep using v1.4.0 for most games if you want to.

If people don't try the v1.5.0 builds we can't tell if issues has been fixed or if new issues have been introduced. And without that knowledge we will not be able to make a good v1.6.0 stable build.

Just because we release new builds every couple of days doesn't mean you always need to update. But if you run into an issue with v1.4.0 or an older v1.5.0, it's always worth trying the latest build just to see if it fixes your issues. You can simply delete it again if it doesn't help.
That's exactly what I do when I test out a dev build. Separate folder. Any way the reason I say dev builds can be potentially unstable and cause other issues is because I remember testing out a 1.5.0 build and if I could remember which one I would certainly tell you guys. But anyway I remember loading GTA SA which isn't my fav game due to it's racist\sexist content but anyway one key thing I noticed under the dev build was that all post processing effects were removed which the game had full post processing effects under stable release 1.4.0

On top of that the dev build offered no compatibility improvements in any games. That's why I don't recommend people use dev builds. Besides if PCSX2 truly has talented coders\developers as I believe it does you guys should have no problem figuring out what the real issues are and how to fix them in the next stable release. With everyone having access to these dev builds it takes twice as long to sort through what the real issues are as opposed to the issues posted by people who really don't know what they're talking about.

Why make the PCSX2 team's job harder than it has to be? You guys are more than smart enough without giving people access to dev builds.
(02-02-2018, 10:38 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: On top of that the dev build offered no compatibility improvements in any games. That's why I don't recommend people use dev builds. Besides if PCSX2 truly has talented coders\developers as I believe it does you guys should have no problem figuring out what the real issues are and how to fix them in the next stable release.

I don't know where you come to these crazy conclusions; but if you check the Orphis buildbot logs; just a few days ago a GIF revision fixed a game that hasn't been working properly since 0.9.8 - which was over 6 years ago! These problems don't just get magically fixed, they take a lot of time to sift through logs, dump textures, it's alot of work - it's exactly what we're working towards for 1.6.0

Quote:With everyone having access to these dev builds it takes twice as long to sort through what the real issues are as opposed to the issues posted by people who really don't know what they're talking about.

Why make the PCSX2 team's job harder than it has to be? You guys are more than smart enough without giving people access to dev builds.

What exactly do you mean here?
Quote:I remember loading GTA SA which isn't my fav game due to it's racist\sexist content
Blink I guess you live in the U.S...
Quote:esides if PCSX2 truly has talented coders\developers as I believe it does you guys should have no problem figuring out what the real issues are and how to fix them in the next stable release. With everyone having access to these dev builds it takes twice as long to sort through what the real issues are as opposed to the issues posted by people who really don't know what they're talking about.

that's the basis of beta testing.
We don't have full time devs, all of them are doing this on their free time. We need a solid basis of beta tester (bug squad) to make Git Revs that finally lead to stable releases
lol GTA SA is it different in the European\Australian version or PAL version I should say?

As for everything else with the dev releases I think we all raise some valid points there. I don't think anything more needs to be said about it. You guys are very talented and that's basically what I was trying to say in my previous post and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
(02-02-2018, 11:14 PM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: lol GTA SA is it different in the European\Australian version or PAL version I should say?
Nope.
It's because of the way of thinking/tolerating.
whatever Wink
Quote:On top of that the dev build offered no compatibility improvements in any games. That's why I don't recommend people use dev builds.
Nobody is forcing you to use the dev builds. To each his own. If you like you can also go back to 1.2.1 or lower.

Quote:With everyone having access to these dev builds it takes twice as long to sort through what the real issues are as opposed to the issues posted by people who really don't know what they're talking about.
Would you mind telling us who is gonna test and report all those games then ?
In a way when people report a bug they basically did the testing for us. Sometimes (rarely) those bug reports are invalid but most of the time they are worth checking out and keeping an eye.
At least they toned a lot of that down in newer versions of GTA thankfully.