GameIndex.dbf naming consistency
(02-02-2015, 08:22 PM)Bigbenn01 Wrote: I personally use hyphens for the ISO names I rip, since Windows doesn't allow colons to be used, which is quite unfortunate.

From what you listed I like this the most; Final Fantasy XII: International which is how I would name my ISO's if I could. On games that wrap a word with tilde or hyphens, just name do Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix, since that makes sense to us English users.

I'm the same way, I use hyphens. My FFXII IZJS .iso files are named as follows:
Final Fantasy XII - International - Zodiac Job System (J).iso
Final Fantasy XII - International - Zodiac Job System (J) (v0.22).iso

The (v0.22) is the version number for the English patch I used.

(02-02-2015, 08:36 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: How about following the names on gamefaqs.com?

Based on a search I just did on FFXII and FFX-2, GameFAQs.com seems to follow the same system that Ryudo uses, which I already expressed my objections to.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

I like using just one hyphen for naming within Windows; Final Fantasy XII - International Zodiac Job System. I agree with you on the "objection" to how Ryudo brought up titling. I don't think ":" indicates that the game has to be different than a game without the ":".

Doing a quick read-up on colons and their use in a title, they are clearly used for subtitles or further explaining the title. The question then is, are we sure that International or Zodiac Job System a subtitle, and I believe it is.
Oh sorry I should have explained my objection better. I actually quite like his idea that a colon should only be used for different games, and apparently there's basis for this since GameFAQs seems to be doing the same thing. What I was objecting to was the fact that his method would only yield consistent titles, not accurate ones like avih wants. They wouldn't be accurate because if if you look at FFX-2 International + Last Mission and FFXII IZJS's exact names, you can see that they are formatted the same way, each subtitle in its own line, but with Ryudo's method, these two titles would be formatted differently, which in turn means it's not accurate to the real names. If we instead chose to replace each line break between subtitles with a hyphen, then we would have an consistent AND accurate system, since both FFX-2: International + Last Mission and FFXII IZJS would have titles that read like this:

Final Fantasy X-2 - International + Last Mission
Final Fantasy XII - International - Zodiac Job System

I take accuracy to mean displaying the title as close as possible (if not exactly the same) as how the games themselves show it, which in the case of the Final Fantasy games, that means no colons or even hyphens. But since that can get confusing, I believe adding in some sort of punctuation mark is needed. We just need to decide on which one(s) and how to use them.
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
(02-02-2015, 08:46 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: I'm the same way, I use hyphens. My FFXII IZJS .iso files are named as follows:
Final Fantasy XII - International - Zodiac Job System (J).iso
Final Fantasy XII - International - Zodiac Job System (J) (v0.22).iso

The (v0.22) is the version number for the English patch I used.

Yeah for my ISO files I use a similar setup. I generally put the game name and then either (PAL) or (NTSC) behind it, to differentiate. In the case of a patched version like ToA for example, I use Tales of the Abyss (Undub Patched) or if it turns out to be a full Japanese game I use NTSC-J.

I'm still lost on what exactly the difference is between PAL and PAL-Unk or NTSC and NTSC-Unk though..
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
I don't want my filenames getting too long so I don't use PAL or NTSC. I just use the country code. So instead of NTSC-U, NTSC-J and PAL, I use U, J and E.

For my undubs I make a separate paranthesis in the filename. Like so:
Final Fantasy X - International (J).iso
Final Fantasy X - International (Undub) (J).iso

Although I've been thinking of switching it so that the Undub parathesis goes after the country one. I'm just so used to looking for the country code at the end of the filename XD

How do you handle games with multiple discs? For MGS3 I just did this:
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence Disc 1 (U).iso
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistence Disc 2 (U).iso

I don't like that method though because then if I have a game with multiple discs and I have an undub version for it, both Disc 1 filenames will be grouped together, as opposed to them being grouped by version. This is what happens for my Star Ocean undub:
Star Ocean - Till the End of Time Disc 1 (U).iso
Star Ocean - Till the End of Time Disc 1 (Undub) (U).iso
Star Ocean - Till the End of Time Disc 2 (U).iso
Star Ocean - Till the End of Time Disc 2 (Undub) (U).iso

I've been also considering adding in the serial numbers to the filenames, although I don't know what the point of that would be..it just looks cool. Thoughts?

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
You guys and your complicated ISO names...

I just name mine the name, and maybe (Disc 2) if it's a multi disc.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well now we know who doesn't own multiple copies of the same game. Tongue I can't talk. The only game I have two copies of is ICO. So I guess when you think about it, I don't really need the country codes, save for that one exception. I guess it's just nice to have more information in the filename. Smile

What sucks is that all of my images are gzipped now, so if I decide to change afilename, I'm also going to want to change the filename of the .iso itself that sits inside the .gzip, which means I have to unzip it, rename it, and then re-zip it. So much work. XD

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Agreed Blyss, simple and easy. Although for multiple discs I do Title - Subtitle - Disc X.

I don't keep multiple copies of games, ripping is quick and easy and I always make sure that a rip works correctly if I used an English Patch, like with FFXII.
I have two copies of FFX... normal and International. And two copies of FFXII, normal and IZJS. That's it for multiples.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yeah I have those too (along with KH/KH:FM and KHII/KHII:FM) but I don't count those as multiples since the filenames are different so there's no need for me to differentiate them by country code like I need to do with my ICO images. Smile

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games