Gamepad not responsive in pcsx2?
Well, I tried unplugging and replugging the controller when it wasn't working, wouldn't that have solved the usb not coming back appropriately? I also knnow it still worked while broken in pcsx2 for other programs. (which I think rules out the cords, if not anything else)

Any idea how I can narrow down which of these is causing the issue?

Sponsored links

Try a different set of USB ports the next time it doesn't work. Two USB ports often share the same connection to the mobo. That's why USB ports often appear as pairs. Use a different t pair the next time it breaks. All USB problems I have are not necessarily solved by replugging in the same USB plug but always by pluging into different ports.

That it works for other programs is on the other side a different problem. I would've expected that there is something wrong on a lower level and that all programs don't work.

If it happens that the controller doesn't work using pcsx2 but works for other programs it would be good to try restarting pcsx2.
Restarting PCSX2 didn't seem to solve the problem, I went through 4 separate restarts of it yesterday trying to get it to read again. But I'll try changing ports next time, and report back with more.
Alright, just cropped up again.

Screenshot of the test window when not working.

Attempted to restart pcsx2, no results. Unplugged and replugged controller, both to same slot, slot below it, and slot on back of computer instead of front. In each slot, it reads and responds to other programs, but not to pcsx2.

Any further thoughts to test?
if you are still active a similar problem was solved by a user.
The controller isn't a 360 controller, it's an off-brand (dreamgear) wired ps3 controller (running off generic drivers, because lack of support), though it does have lights indicating that it could be set to various players. I have no idea how that would be done from the controller, or how I could correct it, but I'll do some digging and see if I can puzzle something out when/if this occurs again.

Thanks for the link, hopefully my problem is really that simple.
Right, I can update something on this. It's not related to the controller itself, unless it's more widespread. The same issue is occuring with a Nyko brand Ps3 controller (wired), and the same problems just started occuring. (And just as intermittently)

Hope having another malfunctioning model helps to chase this down.
Are both controllers of xinput type or use xinput wrapper?
The previous was a dreamgear wired ps3 controller, but just set up as a 'generic usb gamepad with X number of buttons and y number of sticks'.

The current one I went and installed the xinput stuff from microsoft and the sd3 DS3 usb stuff from here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller and then plugged it in (and it picked up by default, working fine excepting it's vibration feature.)

So the current uses a wrapper, by my understanding, and the previous one doesn't?