Gameplay stuttering while showing 60fps HELP!
(12-17-2014, 02:58 PM)markyrocks69 Wrote: Forget vsync. There is absolutely no reason to use it in pcsx2.

Why?

(12-17-2014, 04:24 PM)belmont1990 Wrote: Another thing that may be crucial - one thing that I changed in bios from when I got this pc were ram mhz from 1333 to 1600 (pentium g3420 supports 1600 and my ram is 1x4gb ddr3 1600mhz) and that's it, no more tweaking at all. Could this be the culprit? Honestly I really don't think so.

No.

Sponsored links

I think, this thread is misleading the op to the problem.
the reported problem of the op was micro-stuttering while playing games.
but, now the discussion leads to refreshing the bios as the solution, which is not at all associated (or) related to the problem Tongue.
  • so to summaries it up, i will provide some key solutions for the op to try:
  • try setting the preset to safest.
  • disable pcsx2 from 3d program's settings in nvidia control panel, which doesn't provide any favorable results.
  • since, you mentioned the stuttering were only in pcsx2 and not in any 3rd party apps (or) games, make sure you post the emulog when, you notice micro-stuttering.
  • make sure you set priority of pcsx2 to high in task manager.
try these steps and report your results back Wink
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I honestly don't think updating bios or changing any cpu settings will also change anything, if games are running smooth in 60fps while vsync is enabled then it is possible on current bios/settings and machine.
I'm at work right now and found out some programs to play in windowed borderless mode, maybe running pcsx2 thru some of this programs would eliminate video stuttering?

Another option could be capping fps for ntsc games to 60.00fps from 59.98fps as it is now, but this option is always grayed out so no clue how to try this.

EDIT: ssakash I will try your suggestions as soon as I get home Smile
The bios is responsible for everything. Everyone keeps windows updated, drivers updated. My question would be why would you not want to keep the bios updated? I'm not going to argue about it. I couldn't care less. But doing it just eliminates one more thing that could possibly be wrong. I guess the manufacturer of the mobo just like has updated bios for fun. I'm sure it does absolutely nothing.

I do know one thing my machine runs pcsx2 smooth as butter and my bios is updated. The updates are there to support features of newer hardware that was released after the original bios was created. Using outdated could be robbing you of performance. It's kinda like building a new skyscraper on top of a 50 year old foundation. Standards change for a reason.
(12-17-2014, 06:32 PM)belmont1990 Wrote: Another option could be capping fps for ntsc games to 60.00fps from 59.98fps as it is now, but this option is always grayed out so no clue how to try this.

No need to do that. 59.94 fps is the correct frame rate for NTSC. When people say that they run PS2 games at 60 fps, they actually mean 59.94 fps.

If you want to try 60 fps, set your monitor's refresh rate to 60 Hz and then disable frame limiting and force Vsync via the Nvidia Control Panel.
Forcing vsync in nvidia control panel doesn't seem to affect windowed games/programs like pcsx2 is, tried enabling this with triple buffering but no effect at all.

I wonder if running pcsx2 thru "windowed borderless gaming" would do any better...
Someone on reddit said he was using it with pcsx2 with success but that was only about compatibility and not stuttering.

First I will try this ^ and ssakash suggestions, then if it wouldn't work - disable windows composition and cap pcsx2 fps to 60 via nvidia inspector, should avoid tearing (60hz monitor) and remove stuttering occuring due to vsync.
PCSX2 uses a borderless window.
(12-17-2014, 06:28 PM)ssakash Wrote: I think, this thread is misleading the op to the problem.
the reported problem of the op was micro-stuttering while playing games.
but, now the discussion leads to refreshing the bios as the solution, which is not at all associated (or) related to the problem Tongue.
  • so to summaries it up, i will provide some key solutions for the op to try:
  • try setting the preset to safest.
  • disable pcsx2 from 3d program's settings in nvidia control panel, which doesn't provide any favorable results.
  • since, you mentioned the stuttering were only in pcsx2 and not in any 3rd party apps (or) games, make sure you post the emulog when, you notice micro-stuttering.
  • make sure you set priority of pcsx2 to high in task manager.
try these steps and report your results back Wink

Setting pcsx2 to safest just basically turns off majority of speed hacks which op said he already tried.

The defaults in nvidia control panel are set to apply the 3d programs settings. So disabling it will most likely do nothing. If anything go into the Nvidia control panel and change the gpu performance from adaptive to maximum performance. That will keep the card from throttling itself if it feels it's not busy.

When I first came on here with similar problems the first things I was told was 1. Make sure everything up to date. 2. Disable speed stepping 3. Set gpu to maximum performance.

Have you defragmented the harddrive lately or run check disk? Your harddrive could be failing. Have you used the 4gb patch for pcsx2? It's possible it's running out of usable ram. Have you tried windows visual settings to max performance? I don't think throwing another program at the problem is going to fix it. It's most likely a issue with your hardware.
As i had read in numerous forums this issue and VERY similiar ones are about problems with vsync and aero composition in Win7 - lots of people had stuttering issues in programs/games.

Hdd was scanned for fragmentation and it is only 2%, besides IF it would be the problem then simply enablin vsync in emulator would NOT solve hdd themed issue.
Maximum performance doesnt give me any advantage, I think that NvCP just dont work with pcsx2.
Never heard of any 4gb patch for pcsx2, what is it and for what reason? Again its unlikely as my ram usage is about 1.5gb from 4gb overall while running pcsx2.

Didnt tried Windows Visual Settings, BUT this sound like may be something that could matter, where can I find this settings?

BTW, Thank you VERY much guys for great support, I think we will pinpoint this issue and resolve it for all users.
(12-17-2014, 10:00 PM)belmont1990 Wrote: Never heard of any 4gb patch for pcsx2, what is it and for what reason? Again its unlikely as my ram usage is about 1.5gb from 4gb overall while running pcsx2.

To allow PCSX2 to use up to 4 GB of RAM. Some games require more than 2 GB of RAM.

Did you try disabling Windows Aero?