Gameplay stuttering while showing 60fps HELP!
(12-18-2014, 01:23 AM)willkuer Wrote: If your screen refresh rate (or data transfer rate) is 60Hz and you get frames with 59.94 Hz vsync really has to do a bit. If it doesn't buffer correctly you should get some problems with a frequency of 0.06Hz.. which corresponds to once in 17 seconds...

What problems? He doesn't have screen tearing problems. Where did 17 seconds come from? Even if you run a game at full speed, the frame rate doesn't lock at 59.94 fps constantly; normally it fluctuates between 59.xx and 60.xx fps.

Sponsored links

(12-18-2014, 03:12 AM)markyrocks69 Wrote: If you think that then you must believe in the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and Peter Pan.

Well I don't think the hard drive is the problem here as I have a 5400Rpm (Yuck) hard drive and it's never bottlenecked pcsx2 before.

@OP do you have antivirus installed and when last did you do a full scan?
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
Okay guys so I tried setting ntsc framelimit in ini file of pcsx2 to three different values, tried 60.00 (get constant choppy animation, looked like 30 fps pc game) 59.00 (choppy after every few seconds along with sound chop) and 59.99 (much like standard 59.94, so game gets choppy every few seconds to about 1-2 sec. but without any fps drop or sound distortion).
So actually tweaking this section gives some difference, that may be vital for resolving problem, I wonder if pal 50 games would also get choppy every now and then, must check this out later on.

I have avast antivirus 2015 free and windows defender turned on, never had issues in any other games/emulators, i did fullscan about 2 weeks ago, maybe less.

Also will try to capture movie with this issue, but one user from this forum tried to do it and video looked clear and smooth - actual gameplay did not.
(12-18-2014, 08:41 AM)Donovan24 Wrote: Well I don't think the hard drive is the problem here as I have a 5400Rpm (Yuck) hard drive and it's never bottlenecked pcsx2 before.

@OP do you have antivirus installed and when last did you do a full scan?

It may not be the problem but for whatever reason on my rig I had a ssd hooked up to sata 3 connection and I could see in my system resources monitor it was going to 100% usage and coinciding with frame rate drops in pcsx2.
(12-18-2014, 10:30 AM)belmont1990 Wrote: So actually tweaking this section gives some difference, that may be vital for resolving problem, I wonder if pal 50 games would also get choppy every now and then, must check this out later on.

Is there any improvement? From what your said, it sounds like it is the same or worse.
Actually seems worse (stutter all time) but it changes a thing, so maybe some specific value would be better/perfect?

Also found this
http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questio...casionally

Maybe there are some unnesecary proceses that DWM must take care of so it stutters?
I also tried setting in Nvidia CP "perform scaling on GPU" instead of Display which I had right now, also did not help.
Do you think that running as administrator OR high priority mode would be better? If so, how can I set high priority becasue I can't see this anywhere...

EDIT: I tried tweaking some settings in pcsx2vm.ini in inis folder, changed ntsc fps to 60.00 plus disabled aero - had stutter with tearing, then forced 60fps limit with dxtory, gave me less tearing but stutter STILL exist, its just crazy.
Then noticed option "vsyncqueue=2" and tried setting this to 0, 1, 3, 4 but no change at all for me.
Also tried reverting ntsc framelimit to standard 59.94 and using no aero + dxtory 60fps limit, had same result, maybe some lesser stuttering than actually 60fps ntsc in pcsx2.

It seems this problem is related to what vsync actually does in pcsx2, as i read enabling aero in win7 is NOT the same as enabling vsync, so what can be so special about this option? I was always thinking that its just cap fps to monitor refresh maximum (60hz for me).
Do you guys have absolutely fluid gameplay while running pcsx2 in windows 7 x64, with aero ON, program Vsync OFF? Some people would not even notice this, but it is especially clear in faster games (castlevania, devil summoner).

Do you think that installing recommended windows updates could help? Idk if microsoft throws some changes to how aero/vsync works with updates but it seems to be last resort, all other things just dont fix this, and while most of you have smooth fluid gameplay at vsync off, so it means that it can't be pcsx2 code fault.
OR
Maybe I should install some specific directx build? or some NETframework update to improve AERO working? (As far as I know aero is dependant of framework...)

Another thing worth sayins - STUTTERING ALSO EXIST IN SOFTWARE MODE.
Have you tried the Dynamically toggle Vsync depending on frame rate option?
xemnas99, yes tried this as one of the first options, it gives overall worse performance than no vsync, game changes speed every few seconds and that is VERY annoying, even more than this slight stuttering that i ran into and try to resolve.
I think that I will update my win7 with every recommended update i have listed and try again - there are many posts about aero working/ not working after updates so it does have some effect on its performance.

Eventually I could set fps cap with msi afterburner to exact 59.94 (like pcsx2), aero ON, vsync OFF - maybe capping at the same fps as pcsx2 will provide some result.
Another idea - disable frame limiting, set vsync ON via pcsx2. EVENTUALLY cap to 59.94 with this too.

That would be only ideas left for me.
If you disable frame limiting, I think Vsync will also be disabled. Also, PCSX2 doesn't really cap the frame rate. 59.94 fps is the target frame rate, but in practice the actual frame rate varies between 59.xx and 60.xx.
Too long a thread to read all suggestions already given. Do you have MSAA active at the hardware hacks in the GSDX plugin, if so try disabling or reducing it.
Imagination is where we are truly real