Games slow down only in-game
Hi everyone,

I'm new to PCSX2. I've started to play 2 games on it, but the same pattern exists. The game runs normally in the menu's, but slows down in the actual gameplay.

My specs are as follows

Operating System
Windows 10 Education N 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 4210U @ 1.70GHz
Haswell ULT 22nm Technology

RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 09V1VC (SOCKET 0)

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
DELL 1800FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)

Storage
111GB OSC SSD 120GB (SATA (SSD))

Games run
Ace Combat 0 (USA)
Ace Combat 5 (USA)

Sponsored links

if you get a decent PC that should be fine.
that one is definitely too weak. you'll have to play your games on your real PS2 for now.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-26-2021, 09:43 PM)jesalvein Wrote: if you get a decent PC that should be fine.
that one is definitely too weak. you'll have to play your games on your real PS2 for now.

I see. But PCSX2 is quite an old project. Shouldn't it be able to run on the processor and motherboard at least? I presume the RAM just needs updating. I think this because I am able to run games like assassin's creed II and others released close to 2010 without much drop in FPS.
There's a difference between emulating a console and running a native PC game. For emulating a console, it has to translate the instruction of that console's CPU, and more complex the CPU of the console is, the more power is required especially with the PS2.
[Image: cGzK8nC.gif]
(12-27-2021, 09:28 AM)Abrarium Wrote: I see. But PCSX2 is quite an old project. Shouldn't it be able to run on the processor and motherboard at least? I presume the RAM just needs updating. I think this because I am able to run games like assassin's creed II and others released close to 2010 without much drop in FPS.

assassin's creed II is a PS2 game ? since when ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
As already stated, emulating games requires a more powerful CPU, vs running a native PC game because it takes a lot more work.  To be honest,  for PCSX2 your CPU is very under powered.  They recommend that you have a single thread performance (STP) of 2,000.  Some games can even be more demanding and require an even higher performance.  Your CPU has a STP of 1,374,so it would struggle running most games.  You're really better off either updating your CPU or replacing your PC.
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(12-27-2021, 09:37 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: As already stated, emulating games requires a more powerful CPU, vs running a native PC game because it takes a lot more work.  To be honest,  for PCSX2 your CPU is very under powered.  They recommend that you have a single thread performance (STP) of 2,000.  Some games can even be more demanding and require an even higher performance.  Your CPU has a STP of 1,374,so it would struggle running most games.  You're really better off either updating your CPU or replacing your PC.

Ah I see. Thank you for the info everyone.

(12-27-2021, 09:36 AM)jesalvein Wrote: assassin's creed II is a PS2 game ? since when ?

I meant a PC game. Sorry for the  confusion.