Games suddenly running at only half speed
Hey, I've been running PCSX2 1.0.0 on a Windows 8 Boot Camp partition of my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina for the last week or so, and it's been perfect. I've played through a couple different games and am currently halfway through Kingdom Hearts. Until recently, everything I've been playing has been at a consistent 60 fps with 4x scaling.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, games are running at only 30 fps, and absolutely nothing I change in the settings (besides frame skipping) gets it any higher. I've tried turning off V-Sync, changing to native resolution, deleting the ini files and reconfiguring from scratch, reinstalling my drivers, rebooting windows several times, and on and on. I've dug around a bit, and it seems that only two other people have had this problem, and it never got resolved, so I don't know what to do. It seems like PCSX2 is trying to regulate its framerate, but is doing so with a clock that's going at half-speed.

I should also note that this is the second time in the last week or so that it has happened to me. The first time I spent half a day or so researching it and trying to fix it. Then, as randomly and suddenly as it stopped working, it started working just fine. Now it's going half-speed again, so I figured it's time to see what can be done.

Sponsored links

You might want to post your macbook's specs.
That's a case where is hard to decide if the correct forum for the thread is Mac or Windows issues Smile

Let's suppose the Windows issues are in place, in that case the first suggestion would be to verify the power saving settings and grant it is on a performance plan.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(03-19-2013, 12:44 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: That's a case where is hard to decide if the correct forum for the thread is Mac or Windows issues Smile

Let's suppose the Windows issues are in place, in that case the first suggestion would be to verify the power saving settings and grant it is on a performance plan.

Please do your research before posting. Bootcamp is a way of running Windows natively on a Mac.

Anyway, yeah. Checking your power settings should be a good start. Also, download Core Temp or something to see if you're being throttled because of overheating.
(03-19-2013, 03:41 PM)metalmallow Wrote: Please do your research before posting. Bootcamp is a way of running Windows natively on a Mac.

Anyway, yeah. Checking your power settings should be a good start. Also, download Core Temp or something to see if you're being throttled because of overheating.

Sorry if I did offend someone, Linux installed on PC is still Linux on PC, and so is Windows also.

Installed on Mac hardware they become installed on Mac hardware with all similarities and differences it has toward PC, just it.

I don't know much about Mac, I do admit but I know what a dual boot software is.
Mac hardware is basically regular computer hardware. The key is that Apple integrates its hardware and software seamlessly, something Linux and Windows have no hope of achieving.
(03-19-2013, 06:21 PM)metalmallow Wrote: Mac hardware is basically regular computer hardware. The key is that Apple integrates its hardware and software seamlessly, something Linux and Windows have no hope of achieving.

That's OK, let's not start another Mac vs PC war. In my answer to the OP I just wanted to say I could not be sure what I'd recommend for PC is equally valid on Mac, still worthy a try.
What war? I just pointed out the only difference Macs have to regular PCs. In the OP's case, treat it as you would a Windows problem.
Wow. Well played, forums. Turns out my system was set to go into power save mode when not plugged in, and that was, for some reason, limiting the emulator. I changed that and now it's working great again. Thanks!

And yeah, this was kind of a weird one. I am running Windows natively on my Mac, but doing so requires special drivers from Apple, so I see how it could have been a little different. I figured it was close enough, though, that it should be on the Windows thread. Smile
The important is only it worked Smile

You are welcome, and I did not really thought this thread to be at the wrong forum and do admit stating that was hard to decide the correct forum was open to misinterpretation, for that I apologize.