GeForce GT 230m and VAIO CW viability
I know, I know. I read all the stickies and guides and got the message about notebooks. I still decided I would try PCSX2 out to see what the new lappie could do. The results were mixed, so I wonder if I'm configuring something wrong. Full specs:

Intel Core2Duo P8700 (2.53ghz)
8gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230m, 512mb (specs here)
HDD: only 5400 RPM (I know, I know)
Windows 7 (64)
PCSX2 0.9.6, normal install and plugins

I went through all the configuration settings provided by the handy guide, then popped in DQ VIII for a test. It runs fine at first (80+ fps), but at a certain point it begins to hang up. CPU usage skyrockets and fps drops to around 20. Sound also gets choppy. This is during the opening movie, by the way, always at the same point. If I leave it, it will eventually slow-mo through the movie. I can then walk around, but still slow. When I open up the game's menu, it speeds back up again. This suggests, to me at least, that the hardware just isn't good enough, but I thought I would see what the experts think. It is strange, though, that it can play the opening movie full speed to a point, then hang up at the same spot every time.

I figured that using the actual game disk (instead of ISO) would be okay, but maybe I need to use an ISO instead for more speed, even with the relatively slow HDD rpm?

I also tried using D3D10 as well as D3D9, with the same result. Switching between SSE3 and SSE4.1 also didn't seem to do much.

Under the CPU config, it reports "features" as MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, and SSE4.1. All the boxes below are ticked by default (EERec, VU0rec, VU1rec, and MTGS).

Quick verdict or tweak suggestions?

Sponsored links

laptop cpus aren't the best they overheat very fast and the speed isnt so good 2
making a iso will bring some speed but don't hope to much
try tweaking around speed hacks and different settings
download the newest beta 2 thet cud give you additional speed