General FPS problem.
Hey, i'll try to keep this brief.
After about 2 weeks of playing with plug-ins and add-ons, i've finally found a set up which gives me playable games with little graphical errors, bar the minor ones.

However, with FPS, they are going up and down fast. They are making gameplay feel.. wierd. I'm averaging out at about 35-40 FPS, however in some areas (loading screens/small areas/save screens) it can reach 300% speed, even though frame limiter is on 50. This sometimes causes the thing to crash. This isn't as much the problem as the sloppy gameplay from FPS going from 25 to 50 to 35 to 45 to 51 etc.

This happens with both games i have (Final Fantasy 10/12), and i have no other games to test out of its just the games.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ at 2.7GHz
nVidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB DDR3
4GB Ram @ 800MHz
Asus M2N-SLI motherboard
500W Stock power supply
Windows Vista 64bit

Plug-ins used:
GSdx10 0.1.4
Gigaherz's CDDVD Plugin 0.7.0
SPU2-X 1.1.0
Using 2xCycle Rate, with INTC Speed Hack and IOP 2x Cycle Rate enabled.

I've played around with the options and not come to any conclusions.

Whilst i'm making a thread, i might as well ask about another problem. The terrain in Final Fantasy X sometimes has glitches in, as well as the shatter-effect of battle scenes not showing. I know there's a FFX hack but not with the graphic plug in i use.

Any help is much appreciated, let me know if you need any more information.

Sponsored links

The battle effect is because you're using a very old version of GSdx.

What i'd suggest for speed is getting the latest beta and enabling the "VU cycle stealing" set to slight. And make sure you're using GSdx r1473 with DirectX10 (hardware) renderer and try enabling the "native" checkbox on it.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't think to check for newer plug-ins, the KOSMOS GS and the one im using now seemed to be the only one that didnt made the program crash, so i thought i was stuck with this one.

I'll give this a bash and hopefully all will go well.

Edit:
Managed to install the beta version, but i can't find the VU Cycle Steal option. After googling and finding this thread (http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-8681.html) it seems i should have it with the download, but i haven't. The guy in the thread fixed it with a reinstall, but i don't want to lose my saves and have to experiment for 2 weeks to find my right set of plug ins again ._.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You're still launching the old PCSX2 0.9.6, try installing it to another folder maybe? (title on the beta is "PCSX2 (beta)" and compile date is different too)

What kind of crash do you get with the normal GSdx plugin btw?

Oh also try making an ISO of the game as running from the disc may cause some more slowdowns.

Edit: you can backup your bios and memcards to use with the beta.

Oh yeah, feel stupid now.
Okay running off the beta version, created an ISO. Used my previous folder.
The FPS seems more stable, hovering around 40-50, with the odd dip to 20-30, however the graphics seemed to have gotten worse, like really bad anti-aliasing. It seems to be only on certain things, and things in the background, either that or it's just me. Some screenshots to show the bad graphics and random FPS drops.

The crashes were to do with my processor not being compatible, but with the selection i had i had about 3 which were actually compatible.

Lol seqi .. we almost got the same computer ... ima check now how FFX works on mine but will take a time (i will post screenshots)

Edit: Ah nvm, it isnt laging anymore since i changed it to the BETA PCSX2
(07-28-2009, 06:58 AM)Seqi Wrote: the graphics seemed to have gotten worse, like really bad anti-aliasing. It seems to be only on certain things, and things in the background, either that or it's just me.

Well you can disable the "native" check then and it should be fine Tongue

You should also use the Linuz ISO CDVD plugin to load your ISO, and maybe change the clamp options from "config > advanced" to "none" to win a couple more FPS.
Alright ><
This best work! It's 6am and i want sleep damnit.

Graphics are fixed, FPS being sucky now, nggghh ._.
Hovering around 35-45, again with the odd lagspike down to 20 or so for a second or two every 30 seconds or so.
(07-28-2009, 07:13 AM)Seqi Wrote: Well as far as i'm aware there's a number of ways to speed up, which could be upgrading your hardware, or just trying stuff like is being suggested here, fiddling with options. If you take off limiter in speed hacks or CPU (can't remember), it has the option to go higher, but it works differently to normal FPS in games, where as higher fps makes the game faster, like on fast-forward.
Unless i'm wrong, only been playing with it for a few weeks. >:

Well if you got MSN i could send you mine PCSX2.ini file and then you could check if it works better for you then cause my is running on 50 FPS all the way and time :3 (PM me if you want it, meaning your msn lol)

EDIT: WTH!? when i once started to walk down it suddenly ran down by itself and it is still doing is Wacko i cannot control it haha, any ideas why?
No idea man, try using a different controller input or something :|

If it's any addition, FPS seems to be dependant on area. I could run from one area into the next and get an FPS drop, then into another and it's back at 50.