Ghosting/Double Image/Motion Blur
(02-17-2013, 03:28 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: the real reason to this post is to advise to get the newest SVN and try the new hacks on the GSDX plugin. There are two new entries there you can input TC offsets to the x and y axis. From another thread I read you could start inputting 500 and if it changes something try adjusting till getting the best possible result.

I got the newest svn release (5560?) and set the tc offsets to 500,500 but it didn't seem to have any effect either. Meanwhile I tried again on Grandia 2 where the issue doesn't seem to be present. Yet there are multiple games where this effect occurs so I can still be rather sure that this is not a effect intended by the developer.

(02-17-2013, 11:31 AM)devina40 Wrote: that effect is supposed to be there when you rotate the camera and run around Inaba. It doesn't really occur in the TV world though, nor in Dojima's house.

ok sorry I just tried it in the TV world and Dojima's house and the effect is not there. It's still weird though that it occurs in games like virtua fighter and such for me too. I'm sorry if I came across as mean to anyone Wacko

Sponsored links

(02-17-2013, 03:42 PM)fuerchter Wrote: I got the newest svn release (5560?) and set the tc offsets to 500,500 but it didn't seem to have any effect either. Meanwhile I tried again on Grandia 2 where the issue doesn't seem to be present. Yet there are multiple games where this effect occurs so I can still be rather sure that this is not a effect intended by the developer.

ok sorry I just tried it in the TV world and Dojima's house and the effect is not there. It's still weird though that it occurs in games like virtua fighter and such for me too. I'm sorry if I came across as mean to anyone Wacko

Actually that ghosting image has been "haunting" some games indeed, what they were trying to say is this particular game has this kind of effect as "feature", maybe a lot more subtle, or so I understood.

The point on CrossX patch is to address this kind of effect, don't try only the proposed numbers, you might have hit a perfect multiple, try 250 and then 125 or 375, depending if an eventual shift get to a side or another, you got the idea. Anyway, I'm not granting the patch will work but may be worthy a try.

PS: One the problems of emulation is console are normally meant to play on TV and computer monitors are different and tend to expose "issues" that are naturally eliminated by the TV itself. Among the most common are pixelated images, deinterlacing problems and so on. (edit, not confusing with tv world, just features actual TV masks or conversely, monitors expose or make evident).

The actual issue is almost always associated with PS2 "native" post processing that the emulator's core or the GS plugin can't translate correctly yet, what in the end brings the ghost image as result. Upscale tends to reinforce it because in creating extra points it actually ends creating a very noticeable ghost image.
Imagination is where we are truly real
@nosisab Ken Keleh yeah that effect in P4 more like a motion blur than what we usually call ghosting(missplacement).

Kind of bad choice of words on my side to say it happens with speedhacks/slowdown;p. I ment it's visible alike on the screenshot when game isn't running at full speed, when it does(and P4 is very light + works well with MTvu), it smooths out and doesn't bother much, at least on my eyes(and I'm not a hardcore - blah, getting sick from all that stupid 3D technology @_@).

And yeah very similar stuff commonly happens by deinterlacing problems in NTSC games, you can try different modes(with F5), bob tff/bff usually doesn't add any motion blurr, but also can keep some screen shaking depending on the game;c. Even better if game supports it, you can turn on progressive scan(often semi-hidden feature which activates by holding X+Triangle when game boots).

For all those effects you dislike even when they work as planned just look bad, you can always try skipdraw hack(and for few chosen games "AgressiveCRC") from gsdx config. It can delete alot in some games soo experiment starting from some smaller numbers, but anyway you'll have to learn accepting some of those effects which it doesn't delete, or find other way. (And on a side note I can tell you it doesn't affect that P4 effect.)