Giving PCSX2 a shot again
Hello I might use some help

I am searching for the way to install the latest revision of PCSX2 on Linux Mint 20 computer.

NAME="Linux Mint"
VERSION="20 (Ulyana)"

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu Focal Fossa"

I am using a i5 8400 with the UHD graphics 630. But I think about ordering a GTX 1650 Ti videocard to play some games.

QUESTION: The GTX 1650 Ti, is it going to run most games for PCSX2 with my CPU?

Secondly I am trying to figure out which is the latest stable version PCSX2 that it's possible to install.

#1. I installed Snap and the PCSX2 version from there, it won't launch at all.
#2. The revision on synaptic is 1.5.0 (i386) it's not clear but it seems like the latest version could be 1.6 or 1.7.
#3. By adding the PPA, I get the following error:

sudo add-apt-repository ppaTongue2csx2-team/pcsx2-daily

W: GPG error: TTTT://ppa.launchpad.net/pcsx2-team/pcsx2-daily/ubuntu focal InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DD6EEEA2BD747717

#3. I tried to install another PPA for stable version, Gregory's ..? I lost the link but it would not install on Focal.

--> What should I do.. it appears that the 1.5.0 from synaptic is the only revision available to me.

Thanks.

Sponsored links

There is an appimage on the download page that seems to work happily with my debian, should work just as well on your ubuntu since appimages are self-contained.

Its got the daily and a couple back from there.  

The cpu is a good cpu for PCSX2 and is able to run most games well.  That 1650, if I remember right is a prebadged 1050 yes?  If so, it should be able to do 3x or 4x fine.. but I think you may need the binary blob drivers for it to get the best performance.  The open source nvidia drivers are well.. rubbish.  I'm quite happy with my little rx570 and I do believe the 1050 is a pretty comparable product.. slightly slower, but not leagues apart.  My gpu seems bored with my setup, so running at 1080, maybe even 1440 or 2k internal resolutions should be doable.. but I cannot attest to the performance of the closed source nvidia drivers...
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(03-29-2022, 07:22 PM)scythefwd Wrote: There is an appimage on the download page that seems to work happily with my debian, should work just as well on your ubuntu since appimages are self-contained.

Its got the daily and a couple back from there.  

The cpu is a good cpu for PCSX2 and is able to run most games well.  That 1650, if I remember right is a prebadged 1050 yes?  If so, it should be able to do 3x or 4x fine.. but I think you may need the binary blob drivers for it to get the best performance.  The open source nvidia drivers are well.. rubbish.  I'm quite happy with my little rx570 and I do believe the 1050 is a pretty comparable product.. slightly slower, but not leagues apart.  My gpu seems bored with my setup, so running at 1080, maybe even 1440 or 2k internal resolutions should be doable.. but I cannot attest to the performance of the closed source nvidia drivers...

Thanks I just found the appimage, the first one on the top of the list:
pcsx2-v1.7.0-dev-120-g715672481-x86_64.AppImage

It will load and I can play game, good news!

It looks like the 1650 is more capable then the 1050ti according to a review the 1650 is also the amazon choice with a huge amount of reviews and 4.5 stars out of 5. It looks like the best deal right now for entry level video card.

I don't know what is running the game at 3x and 4x yet... right now I try to play a game with 1315 x 935 pixels that is the window size of the game.
Ok I have the GTX 1050Ti installed with 2 new 4 pin case fans and the i5-8400. So far so good, I have 60FPS on every games I tried (GTAIII and GT4). 1 core of the CPU will peak at +- 75 ~ 80% almost all the time, It's heavy on one core of the CPU.

(For the sake of evolution, my next CPU, in a couple years hopefully, will have a faster single core)

But It's a success so far, I am having fun with the PS2! What a great console and games

Thanks