God of War slowing down during intensive scenarios
(03-28-2013, 08:18 PM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: Remember that emulation needs a lot of juice. Many people think because they can run all pc games that any emulator will run fine. But yeah, I agree, your gfx card is the weakest link in that setup.

I honestly believe there needs to be sticky that states the difference between programs programed for pc and program emulated threw PC seeing emulation need on and order 2x more power, if not more to emulate at full speed. Way to many people come here saying it not my computer and blame the emulator as cause.

Im mean for god sakes bsnes/ Higan needs Duo core or higher to emulated SNES accurately and at play able speeds and even some i7 cant run full speed on all snes games with accuracy profile. sure zsnes and other can do it on much lower specs but there no where as accurate and last i checked emulators need to emulate the original hardware as accurately as possible which require more horsepower then something programed specifically

Sponsored links

Emulation is like being a translator of a language you don't know very well. Sometimes you get the meanings correctly and quickly, sometimes you don't understand very well what was said and may need to come up with something to fill the gap.

Beside the sheer power needed just to do that translation in due time you still need the time to run the "actual, converted code" (that is all that native games take and the code is even optimized also).

In your example, most former SNES emulators struggled for performance with their time hardware the same way PCSX2 requires much of nowadays hardware. To the point some those first emulators had at least part of the core directly codded in assembly for speed sake despite the loss of portability.

Nowadays is easy to run those older emulators for older consoles, almost any today's machine is able to do it, but imagine what was running the "in development" emulator on Pentium MMX or AMD K6...

bsnes is a newer emulator and already started with no concern toward performance and can take the luxury to focus on accuracy and other niceties. Yet, at least considering the last time I looked to them, ZSNes and Snes9x are my preferred still.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Isn't snes9x pretty accurate these days as well?