Gradius V and PCSX2 0.9.8 slowdowns...
(09-01-2011, 07:02 PM)ClarkKent Wrote: I suspect the new full screen mode to have something to do with slowdowns and lower framerates as it is not really a separate mode anymore but only a large window (nullDC uses a similar technique with which I have also troubles). A real full screen mode would be better, same as in older PCSX2 versions. I'm a CRT user as I'm using PCSX2 on a real arcade cabinet and I read that this new method of displaying full screen is bad for such a constellation.

It's possible, the new fullscreen method is just removing the window borders and could still be giving extra overhead and in your GPU's case could be the cause of your slowdowns, however this method is much more stable than the crashtastic one used in 0.9.6 (which is basically GSdx/ZeroGS doing the fullscreen) and I doubt devs want to use the old method anymore, there were some plans to include an exclusive fullscreen mode that would be closer to the GSdx/ZeroGS method but for now I'd just recommend you keep using 0.9.6 for that game or get a better graphics card.

It could also be possible some other setting could be doing that extra slowdown but we can't be sure since you haven't posted your settings yet.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

Because the Post process and RTE's weren't properly emulated back then.

its probably something you wouldn't even notice visually unless you disabled the graphical layers being rendered 1 by 1 and compared differences to each.

You will find that none of the HD2xxx series offer good performance, particularly with PCSX2. The Memory controller design was actually scrapped leading into the HD3xxx series because of inherent flaws that resulted in bandwidth overhead, which reduced performance even when the controller was not completely saturated.

Anyway, there are 4 SKU's for the RV630, 2 versions of the Pro and the XT each.
Radeon HD2600 Pro
Interface: 128bits
Vram: 500Mhz (GDDR2), or 700Mhz (GDDR3)
Bandwidth: 15.6GB/s (GDDR2), or 21.9GB/s (GDDR3)

Radeon HD2600XT
Interface: 128bits
Vram: 800 (GDDR3), or 1100 (GDDR4)
Bandwidth: 25GB/s (GDDR3), or 34.4GB/s (GDDR4)

All bandwidth scores are adjusted to the correct bytes divisor of 1024, wikipedia and advertising tends to adjust to 1000(which is incorrect).
So if it is really the Post process and RTE's - why not optionally switch them off? There is no option for that and if 0.9.6 works without them but games are more fluid I think this should be possible...

But I think Shadow Lady is right - on slower computers the new full screen method can cause slowdowns. I think only on fast computers you can not tell any difference. Maybe the return of a real full screen mode would be nice - I never had any crashes with 0.9.6...

Which of the "older" ATI cards has enough power to be used with PCSX2? Maybe ATI HD3850 (RV670)? I only use native resolution.
You actually CAN turn off effects and stuff like that. Just use skipdraw hack in GSdx, or "just"(quotation couse it's not soo easy before you learn how to do it;P) made a custom skipdraw that will turn off more exactly the thing which causes the slowdown for you. Edit GSdx.ini and add change "allowHacks=0" to "allowHacks=1" if you don't see skipdraw in GSdx config.

And old fullscreen method was slow, and nasty especially when you alt+tab often;P. For weaker system if you really must have something ancient to play at full speed, just use ancient version, nobody stops you from doing so.
Thank you for the info! It really seems to run smoother now (at least the background scrolling is much smoother now)! Unfortunately the slowdown at the point in game described is still there. But the rest of the game seems to run more fluid now! Smile
(09-02-2011, 03:07 PM)ClarkKent Wrote: So if it is really the Post process and RTE's - why not optionally switch them off? There is no option for that and if 0.9.6 works without them but games are more fluid I think this should be possible...

But I think Shadow Lady is right - on slower computers the new full screen method can cause slowdowns. I think only on fast computers you can not tell any difference. Maybe the return of a real full screen mode would be nice - I never had any crashes with 0.9.6...

Which of the "older" ATI cards has enough power to be used with PCSX2? Maybe ATI HD3850 (RV670)? I only use native resolution.

Anything from the Radeon 3650 and higher is fine for native res.
(09-02-2011, 03:07 PM)ClarkKent Wrote: Which of the "older" ATI cards has enough power to be used with PCSX2? Maybe ATI HD3850 (RV670)? I only use native resolution.

For info, I had ATI HD 3870 in the past. I can set internal res at 1536 X 1024 for Final Fantasy XII Without slowdown be caused bottleneck from grapich card.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
I tried the latest PCSX2 on my iMac 3,06 GHz Dual Core with ATI 4850 via Bootcamp and Windows 7 64bit - Gradius V runs more fluid (it is jerking only a little) but the slowdown at the point described at the beginning of this post is also there. But as the system is far more powerful then the other one, the slowdown is only 1 second or so, almost not recognizable. I hope that the emulator is getting better and better and performance will increase...