Gran Turismo 3(NTSC-U) City Stages speed up help.
Question 
I think there's load of posts like this in the forum, but I'm going to give a shot on mine.
GT3 is giving me some problems to emulate. I got some slowdowns in certain parts of certain tracks, but the constant one is always the Special Stage Route # tracks. GT4 I only have slow downs in George V, Hong Kong and Chamonix(if I'm not wrong)

From here I have 2 options: Throw in frame skip(using turbo with 100% limit) to get full Speed, but with a choppy framerate
or
skipdraw=3; 1 does not have effect, except making the wheels ugly, 2 glitches up the screen, 3 gives the speed up(makes some terrible popping, and at certain corners the image just vanishes and then gets back), 4 is black screen, 5 glitches up the screen. If I use in SSR5(Wet) the screen gets full of garbage. No other skip draw solves the problem in SSR5(Wet)

before I forget, messing with internal resolution have no effect in the game speed, I have already tried using native, or lower resolution, the speed is the same. Open Gl makes things slower.

My specs are:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - Direct X 11
Intel Core [email protected](2 cores 4 threads)(It's at default clock, hyperthreading on)
8GB Ram DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits
Below are the settings I use, in normally for GT3/4(made a folder only for them)
This is the "pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-1484-g8958b20-windows-x86" git build BTW.

So is there any other way that I can do to speed up the game, not using the methods I've said earlier? Getting a PAL version would speed up the game?(most slow downs are dropping the game to 50FPS)

Sponsored links

Slowdown is to be expected on your CPU if it is not overclocked, this game needs a reasonably powerful CPU to achieve full speed, same with GT4. It';s going to be very difficult to manage full speed any other way I'm afraid.

You could try lowering the Internal Resolution on GSDX to Native or Native x2 in hope that the lower GPU load will speed up the game, but don't count too hard on that Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-28-2016, 08:13 PM)refraction Wrote: Slowdown is to be expected on your CPU if it is not overclocked, this game needs a reasonably powerful CPU to achieve full speed, same with GT4.  It';s going to be very difficult to manage full speed any other way I'm afraid.

You could try lowering the Internal Resolution on GSDX to Native or Native x2 in hope that the lower GPU load will speed up the game, but don't count too hard on that Smile

But here's the funny thing, GT4 runs smoothly all the time(progressive scan). Like I said earlier the only tracks that give me notable slowdown are those I've mentioned. And once again, messing around with internal resolution does not affect the performance, strangely enough, GT3/4/Tourist Trophy doesn't seem to change anything, if resolution is high or low, speed is kept the same. Tried disabling effects, skip draw is the most effective but it breaks the graphix a lot Tongue. And this version optimized GT4 a lot, like I said, its full speed, except in GVParis, HK and Grand Canyon(my mistake on the first post)

Also for some reason(IDK if it's just that build) GT4 when you try to go in-race with interlaced mode(normal output) PCSX2 brings the computer down with it. the HDD begins running full speed, the PC is rendered unusable(everything freezes) and I'm forced to hard reset the PC.
And "disabling desktop composition" slows down the emulation for some reason...(if you try full screening the game gets slow all of the sudden, why is this? I thought the emu would run faster if my PC had less to process.)

I just wanna know if a PAL version of GT3 would speed up the game, since it spits less FPS.(Less frames to procress may speed up the game? IDK)
Yeah GT4 murders your vram at times, it's best to keep the resolution at 2x or lower if you have less than 4gb Tongue2

I have 8GB of Ram... and I can run GT4 no problem at 3x Native.
But I still want to know if the PAL Version of GT3 version would run faster.

I know it's off topic, but could the dev of GSdx add a shortcut for "shade boost"? Every option have a shortcut except that one. It would be handy for GT4 progressive since I use D3D11.(Progressive scan gets dark for some reason)
no i mean video ram, not physical ram, I'd be surprised if your 760 has 8Gb on it Tongue

I doubt the PAL version will run faster, probably slower if anything.

Oh it's because you said VRAM, then RAM. you got me confused XD. It's 2GB then

But oh well I guess I'll have to use frameskip then.
I mean GT4 still runs good though that I can record it. The quality is potato because compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP9INWcTS_g
Holy cow you butchered the quality on that! Tongue Nice driving though

Thanks Smile Good old Xbox 360 triggers help a lot with this game. I just wish the crontroller had pressure sensitive buttons
The game was at 4x native, progressive scan and shade boost on(so the image gets the right color and brightness)