Gran Turismo 3 laggy on i7
Hi guys, im struggling to run Gran Turismo 3 on PCSX2 0.9.8 with all the default plugins. The game starts normally, everything is fine in the menu, the fps is also almost solid 60. However, when i go into a race, the game starts to go slow motion (~32 fps). I tried playing around with the settings, i even OC'd my cpu to 3.0ghz, however, its still not helping. Is it GT3's fault ?
Full specs of my pc:

i7 920 now @ 3ghz
6gb ddr3 ram
gtx 580 (stock)
vista ultimate 64bit SP2

I will be back later to try any tips/suggestions and reply to the people who helped,

Thanks in advance Biggrin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

(07-05-2011, 05:44 PM)fahq Wrote: Hi guys, im struggling to run Gran Turismo 3 on PCSX2 0.9.8 with all the default plugins. The game starts normally, everything is fine in the menu, the fps is also almost solid 60. However, when i go into a race, the game starts to go slow motion (~32 fps). I tried playing around with the settings, i even OC'd my cpu to 3.0ghz, however, its still not helping. Is it GT3's fault ?
Full specs of my pc:

i7 920 now @ 3ghz
6gb ddr3 ram
gtx 580 (stock)
vista ultimate 64bit SP2

I will be back later to try any tips/suggestions and reply to the people who helped,

Thanks in advance Biggrin

I know that GT games are very CPU intensive. So you'll need to OC your CPU more.

Granted this was about 2 years ago. But to run GT4 or SoTC at full speed. you needed a 4ghz CPU or higher (intel based of course)
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
actuly i found GT3 is very GPU intensive with my ATI 5670 SW mode runs faster !!!!( both on native res ) and it is a decent one OC 850\1050 ( with an i3 550 @4.1 GHz i coldnt run this game fullspeed about 40 FPS on SW mode with a lot of speed hacks it is PAL by the way )
but with your GTX 580 you almost wont get any GPU releated slowdowns Wink
but try it anyway Smile
You can take that thing further, try 3.8-4.0GHz, although even at those speeds there are some games that just won't get 60fps in software mode. I know Silmeria is one
Thanks for the replies guys,
So the only option would be to OC more.. Well I doubt I can do that as its at 84 degrees under stress already because of the stock cooler
I risked overclocking it to 3.24ghz, yet it still lags. I noticed however that it only lags during the start of the race and always in the same spot (around the starting mark) and on the other side of the track its alright, like 55-60fps.
I think ill just give up and stay with GTA IV on pc Tongue2
(07-05-2011, 09:25 PM)fahq Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys,
So the only option would be to OC more.. Well I doubt I can do that as its at 84 degrees under stress already because of the stock cooler

well i heard that OC an first gen i7 is really hard because of high temperature ( i think because if its high power usage Sad )
Yeah.. well imho its not worth overclocking and reducing the life of my cpu just to play a Ps2 game which ran on ancient hardware haha.
Thanks for the help anyways Wink
PCSX2 settings? Plugin settings? What do the EE/GS% numbers in the game window say when you get slowdowns?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
The latest version of PCSX2 can run GT3 in software rendering mode on my i5 2500k at around 50FPS most of the time (got PAL version), even at 4.2 I still get a bit of a slow down at the start (at least in software mode). I am not sure what you can do to get it 100% smooth.