Gran Turismo 4 NTSC 1080i issue
(12-02-2013, 06:14 AM)AFK Wrote: OK so is there a way to see game built in 1080i running on pcsx2 or not?
I'm not looking for an alternate scaling way.

Why are you insisting on using an inferior scaling method? De-interlaced 1080i is essentially 540p. As I said, use the PCSX2 resolution scaling, it's better in every way.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.

Sponsored links

(12-03-2013, 10:58 PM)Tyestor Wrote: Why are you insisting on using an inferior scaling method? De-interlaced 1080i is essentially 540p.

You said it why. 540p(1080i) is more then 480p, the only one that we can use right now. And no, emu internal resolution is not the same with game scaling. Just try setting the game on 3x internal from emulator, and then switch between default and 480p.Only blind man will not see the difference...
(12-05-2013, 02:43 AM)mroussev Wrote: You said it why. 540p(1080i) is more then 480p, the only one that we can use right now. And no, emu internal resolution is not the same with game scaling. Just try setting the game on 3x internal from emulator, and then switch between default and 480p.Only blind man will not see the difference...

I'm sorry, you are misinformed.

If you are talking about the difference between interlaced and progressive, then yes, some people can see a difference(not me, I have bad eyes) BUT 1080i IS interlaced.

The game is rendered in whatever resolution you set. If native is 640x448 and you set 4x, then the game is rendered at 2560x1792. Which is a lot more than 1080i. Then assuming you are full screen, that gets downscaled to whatever your monitor's resolution is. It's a mild form of SSAA.

The way an emu works is different from the way a console works. I was reading another thread the other day and I can't remember which one, or I'd quote it:

There are two ways that PS2 games render their images. In one case, the buffer holds two half height images. This case makes forcing progressive rather difficult. In the other case, it holds one full height image. This is easier to force to progressive.

Anyway, even if GSDX output remains interlaced, 2560x1792i is still gonna look better than 1920x1080i. There's just no arguing that.

And also, I doubt this game or any game actually RENDERS at 1080i on real PS2. It's just an upscale. It's no different than if your monitor is 1920x1080 and you set native resolution and then go fullscreen. Scaling is not the same as rendering. It's better to render at a high resolution and display to a lower resolution than it is to render at a low resolution and display to a high one.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(12-05-2013, 02:43 AM)mroussev Wrote: Only blind man will not see the difference...

You're right, only blind people will be unable to see the difference between Gran Turismo 4 at ***** 1920x1080i interlaced (960x540p progressive) and (assuming that GT4's native resolution is 512x512 (which it probably isn't)) 2048x2048p (4x scaling). Not only do you get much better resolution you also get pseudo anti-aliasing at that resolution. You're a massive idiot if you want to use GT4's 1080i option over PCSX2's internal scaling.
MyAnimeList: http://www.myanimelist.net/profile/tyestor
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tyestor
Current PCSX2 version: v1.7.2460-windows-64bit-SSE4

The plural of anime is anime.
Once again people read what they want to read...

native res in the game + 3x internal res from the emu < 480p res in game + 3x internal res from the emu < 1080i(540p) + 3x internal res from the emu

I was talking for first two parts of the equation and noticeable differences between picture between both

Internal res is constant in all the cases,3x for example or whatever your gpu can handle. Nobody is talking to replace internal res of the EMU with INGAME resolution option...
Can we just stop arguing. This thread isn't going anywhere since I already answered the OP's question.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(12-05-2013, 06:32 PM)mroussev Wrote: Once again people read what they want to read...

native res in the game + 3x internal res from the emu < 480p res in game + 3x internal res from the emu < 1080i(540p) + 3x internal res from the emu

I was talking for first two parts of the equation and noticeable differences between picture between both

Internal res is constant in all the cases,3x for example or whatever your gpu can handle. Nobody is talking to replace internal res of the EMU with INGAME resolution option...

I'm sorry, I did misunderstand what you were saying. I see now.

I still think it would look best at 480p. Why? Because GSDX deinterlace filter isn't perfect. Yes, 1080i might be 540p(per field anyway), but having to deinterlace to progressive, I think you would find 480p which is naturally progressive(not deinterlaced) to look better.

In my opinion.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
This resolution is broken in GSdx. The issue is rooted with the GS never knowing what the vertical resolution is.
We pretty much have to do an educated guess, unfortunately.

Edit: But yea, as everyone else said: Stay at the regular resolution setting in-game and simply use GSdx scaling
for much better results than the game could ever do.
(12-06-2013, 01:46 AM)rama Wrote: This resolution is broken in GSdx. The issue is rooted with the GS never knowing what the vertical resolution is.
We pretty much have to do an educated guess, unfortunately.

Edit: But yea, as everyone else said: Stay at the regular resolution setting in-game and simply use GSdx scaling
for much better results than the game could ever do.

How many resolutions does the ps2 do?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Thanks for the info rama, but I'm not looking for the "best", I'm looking for the accurate feeling. I use emus for the nostalgia, not for "enhanced" games.