Gran Turismo 4 NTSC- A long line of problems...
Question 
Well for the past 2 or so days I've been adjusting, tinkering and fiddling with every aspect of the emulator and I still have a laggy game.

My PC is easily capbable of running the emulator (The PC in this video is of lower spec than mine and works fine Glare)

My specs:

PCSX2 1.0.0.r5350

Game:Gran Turismo 4 NTSC

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Physical RAM 8190 MB
CPU name AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor
Vendor/Model AuthenticAMD (stepping 03)
CPU speed 3.209 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType Standard OEM
x86Flags 178bfbff 00802009
x86EFlags efd3fbff
GPU ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Problems:
I only get about 35-45 fps in the car showroom and less than 30 in races, which makes the game completely un-playable. And yeah progressive 480p is on...

My settings:

EE/IOP:

All default except for clamping mode extra+preserve sign

VUs:

All default except clamping mode to extra

GS:

Speedhacks:

Enabled, EE cyclerate set at 2 VU cycle stealing disabled as it causes problems all other options enabled except fast boot

gsdx version:

1650 have tried 5334 and no luck...

Thanks for your help though and I hope this is enough info, it surely feels like it should be Happy

Sponsored links

What are your EE, GS and VU %s during slowdowns (found in title bar, VU only appears if the mtvu speedhack is active).
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
Thanks for the reply.

I found i get the following %s during a race or in car showroom.

EE 40-50%
GS 55-65%
VU 60-70% (yeah I had it deactivated in the pic to see if it would change anything)
Any ideas?
(06-12-2013, 04:54 PM)VeyronEB Wrote: Thanks for the reply.

I found i get the following %s during a race or in car showroom.

EE 40-50%
GS 55-65%
VU 60-70% (yeah I had it deactivated in the pic to see if it would change anything)

What's your video card? Those percentages are leaning towards it being the bottle neck. Try putting the game into native resolution and see if you get better frame rate. In the mean time, knowing what make and model graphics card will help to be able to give more specifics.

That said, do NOT trust youtube videos for full speed in game. Using the internal video recorder, the footage is automatically sped up to full speed upon playback, therefore you can't really judge on that (and there is inevitably people who will post "I get full speed" when really they get about half speed and just want to make their systems seem better for who knows what reason).
[Image: 2748844.png]
GPU ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

at native resolution I still get around 30-49 fps

EE 40-50%
GS 50-65%
VU 55-70%
(06-16-2013, 04:04 AM)VeyronEB Wrote: GPU ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

at native resolution I still get around 30-49 fps

EE 40-50%
GS 50-65%
VU 55-70%

That's probably about the best you're going to get, unfortunately certain games are pretty graphic card intensive, and that's what those readings are more or less showing. The 5770 is/was a great card at the time of it's release for the price because of it's high shader count which PC games om-nom like nobody's business. Unfortunately, it's not ideal for PCSX2 which relies far more heavily on memory bandwidth which the 5770 falls behind on (128-bit bus and not the best memory clocks).

You can try activating OverDrive in the CCC and manually raising the memory clock... Like any overclock there are risks involved and I'd say even if you got a fairly substantial overclock you'd still be stuck in native and not reaching max speed. I also fear that by the time your GPU no longer was the bottleneck, your CPU would still end up keeping you from full speed (GT4 is one of the tougher games to emulate)
[Image: 2748844.png]
Hmm, ok I think you may be right as the resolution really effects the fps. I already have the card overclocked slightly it doesn't really seem to make any difference. The card is perfectly fine with all the native pc games I've tested.

Thanks for the help though
If it's bandwidth that limits you, try turning on "Allow 8 bit textures" in gsdx config, not a fan of GT, but depending how much the game abuses 8 bit textures this can decrease it's bandwidth requirements by alot, this comes at the cost of rising gpu core usage, but on mid range radeons that's usually a nice speedup anyway.
A 7850 will get you on track. There are some good used deals on ebay for around $110. Of course, a comparable Nvidia card would be good too. While this website isn't perfect, it does give a general idea of how video cardas stack up.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Try to stay above 3000 mark and you will be fine. My 6850 cannot run Dynasty Warriors 3 even at native without slowdowns. My 7850 can handle DW3 at x3, no slowdowns. Compare the numbers.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti