Gran Turismo 4 (NTSC) is playable. [HOWTO] Best config to enjoy it.
You probably set the video settings to progressive (480p) mode. You'll have to use Normal video output and interlacing in GSdx instead.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64

Sponsored links

Yep that did it, thank you.

But you mention using interlacing in GSdx. So you're saying there's a way to essentially enable a "progressive scan" mode in GSdx w/o doing anything in the game? Some setting beyond putting the internal resolution at 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, etc? Could you give me a hand on what that would be?

Just looking to mess around with the best combination of graphics/framerate, on any game really. I feel like I'm missing something by just setting the resolution and leaving everything else as-is.
Hello all. After reading and trying just about everything and absorbing all the specs I've seen, I'm still confused as to why I'm getting sluggish performance. Now, let me explain my rig. Firstly, it is a laptop (Clevo x7200), a large, massive laptop. I have a custom built water cooler that I made from an old radiator and mini-fridge cooler that manages to blow ~10C air on the bottom to feed its 4 fans, so I don't need to be told not to overclock or the dangers. The specs under the hood are:

Core i7 960 desktop proc running at 3.6 ghz on a pure software oc
2x nvidia 580m at stock, no need to oc those puppies for PCSX2
12 gigs of trip channel ram at 1600 mhz
on a modified X58 chipset
2x 500 gig/4 gig NAND hybrid drives
2x 1 tb drives
running Win7 x64 on one 500 gig drive and Linux on the other 500 gig drive
using Win7 x64 for emulation

Can anyone tell me what's up with the sluggish-ness?
As far as plugins go I've tried lots of different GSdx's and am currently using "gsdx-sse4-r4600". That one appears to run the best.
depends on what you call "sluggish".
but 4.0 to 4.2 ghz would be better for GT4
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Word, time to hit the BIOS settings! I'm also going to get an i7 990x probably after Ivy Bridge drops. I'll feel much more comfortable doing over 4 with that. By sluggish I mean game seconds take roughly 1.2 to 1.5 real seconds.
(11-21-2011, 10:29 AM)waffles004 Wrote: Word, time to hit the BIOS settings! I'm also going to get an i7 990x probably after Ivy Bridge drops. I'll feel much more comfortable doing over 4 with that. By sluggish I mean game seconds take roughly 1.2 to 1.5 real seconds.

Hi, even after ivory bridge drops, it would be far cheaper to pick up a i5 2500k for 205, a new motherboard with the z68 chipset for good overclocking for another 215, (like an asrock, asus or gigabyte), and an aftermarket cooler than buying a 990x.

The 990x will never drop in price because it's a premium product and will become rare because that intel pin (1366) isn't used any longer. History tells us that the highest performance part of an old series never drops price, while the mainstream/average parts which are now obsolete do.

Anyway, you would save more than 400 dollars and be able to reach 4.5-5.0ghz because the 990x doesn't clock very well.

All prices are australian.

PS: I've clocked my i5 2500k over 5.0ghz and run some benchmarks on it, but now it's summer down here. So for safety it's at 4.43 although that's on air cooling.

Finally my final nail in the coffin which is the 990x, is it doesn't overclock well. http://208.65.201.106/showthread.php?s=3...124&page=3
That suggests that the overclock will reach about 4.4-4.5ghz at max. At max mine goes beyond 5.0 on air. These guys are not on air. They're watercooling. If they can't get good clocks on watercooling, without watercooling what do you think you'll be running? 4.0? Why go that low when you could have saved 400 dollars for a 4.5+ ghz i5 or i7.
No, no, and no. I guess you didn't read. I'm running a special laptop with a special motherboard. I'm not going to craft a whole new mobo just to lose two cores. I'm not worried about super overclocking. Being a professional musician and penetration tester I can utilize all 6 cores (12 with HT) and do my work faster than a 5 ghz quad core all in a mobile platform with the 990x. Read the post next time and don't just tell me stuff. You would think after stating that I have a custom built laptop with a desktop processor you would have a clue that I know what I'm doing. 6 cores is far more useful to me than 5 ghz. To get that I would have to drop to dual channel ram, all of my music programs take a performance hit, hand craft a mobo for much more than $215, so why would I do that? I'd rather pay more and get more for my needs.

I don't mean to hate or sound mean. I just thought the keyword "laptop" would have tipped you off.

On a GT4 note, I'm running with no slow down at 60 constantly. Just had to tweak the settings more. Thanks for the great forum read! Helped immensely.

P.S. If I was looking for sheer speed I would turn to my botnet like I use for bruteforcing. I'm not new to computers. I know what goes down.
When is Ivy Bridge expected to drop? Which month?
(11-21-2011, 02:38 PM)waffles004 Wrote: No, no, and no. I guess you didn't read.
This chip is never being released to a mobile platform. So hence why it didn't make sense. Maybe you should read your own post.

Intel's largest notebook 1st gen i7 is a 940XM which runs at 2.13ghz and has 8 threads and 4 cores.

You realise that desktop cpu's and notebook cpu's don't have the same form factor right? Half the reason for this is a notebook can not cool a desktop cpu. Hence why they are appended with the "M" at the end for mobility. They're lower voltage to generate less heat. They make them pretty different to the desktop processor too. One has pins, the other just has contact bumps. One will NOT fit in the other.

So when talking so much about a desktop processor you can understand why I was confused.

Edit: Wait a second, can you post a picture? I just read two posts of yours up to see what you're talking about. You're running a desktop motherboard in a laptop? That must have been difficult. Considering that to fit a desktop motherboard you need a huge chassis because even a micro atx board still will use desktop ram which sits vertical. Then you have to fabricate your own CPU cooler because it'll need to sit inside the slim line case. With all the heat, no wonder you need that pad!

Lets see some pics that thing sounds 1 of a kind! No other laptop in the world is like it! Because no laptop in the world has been released with the ability to handle desktop CPU's that I know of, unless it was a custom job. But you sound pretty handy, i've pulled apart a few laptops of my own. Here's an attachment of a core2duo that I pulled apart before finding that the coupling for the power cable to the motherboard, the bit that delivers power was faulty due to being flexed too much.

That's the last one i pulled apart, it was just the other week. I pull apart a lot of laptops for friends family and work. Not as often work though, most of our deployments are EEEPC's I've set up terminal services, which is like the opposite of your botnet. Instead of using everyone elses power, i share my big hulking dual xenon power to all the clients. It's easier to manage that way, all the data is in one location and all the licenses are easier to manage.

Anyway, sounds amazing bro. Lets see pics. Because yours is the only laptop ever to have had a desktop cpu!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-22-2011, 03:32 PM)skythra Wrote: Edit: Wait a second, can you post a picture? I just read two posts of yours up to see what you're talking about. You're running a desktop motherboard in a laptop?

Not really. He never said it was a desktop motherboard, he said a special one. There's a couple of companies out there which make laptops like this, though naturally they are right at the top of the price spectrum. For example Falcon's DRX and Maingear's Titan.