Gran Turismo 4 SLOW Lan-play
Using CLR Dev9 and hamachi, me and a friend are trying to play GT4 over Lan through hamachi. After a LONG time, I got it working. Now that it works, its SUPER SLOW. Both of our games were running at 60 FPS, with the components around 50% usage. The issue appears to be the connection. Unfortunately, it seems bandwidth might be the bottleneck. It only works on the Light bandwidth mode. I know this is a hyper-specific thread, but any suggestions? Most of the settings im using are from this guide : https://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=52548

EDIT : I should have made this clear. Im using the GT4 Settings outlined in the guide, but im doing it through hamachi and CLRDev9, not using tap at all.
EDIT2 : Im going to try 300% cycle-rate tomorrow. I was using 130%. I will also have my friend use 300%.

Sponsored links

Try pinging your friend on Hamachi. GT4 works well below 50ms. 50-75 is kind of playable. Anything above 75ms become very slow.
(06-22-2020, 06:19 AM)prafull Wrote: Try pinging your friend on Hamachi. GT4 works well below 50ms. 50-75 is kind of playable. Anything above 75ms become very slow.
The ping was ~125 ms. I tried a boat load of other stuff last night as well. Setting the DNS manually did help, but messing with EE cyclerate/skipping didnt help. Turning down graphics appeared to help, but that might have been placebo. I'm going to try zerotier, another VPN service, to see if I fix the performance issues. I'm also going to try setting up a direct BitTorrent connection later this week.
(06-22-2020, 07:45 PM)curlyawesomeace Wrote: The ping was ~125 ms. I tried a boat load of other stuff last night as well. Setting the DNS manually did help, but messing with EE cyclerate/skipping didnt help. Turning down graphics appeared to help, but that might have been placebo. I'm going to try zerotier, another VPN service, to see if I fix the performance issues. I'm also going to try setting up a direct BitTorrent connection later this week.

I lost motivation on the project for a while. Ive done alot of testing and have made the following conclusion

GT4 has no lag compensation, thus doesnt queue its updates (presumably every couple of frames). When the ping exceeds the rate of which the game updates the positions for both clients, the game slows down to match the slower rate of updates. All clients must have exceedingly fast internet connections, and must live in the same area in the world, for an optimal playing experience. I tried getting this working, so me and my friends littered overseas could play together, but with this fundamental roadblock, this proves to be impossible. Someone would have to Frankenstein GT4's online disc and the base game in order to make a fully functioning online mode. I honestly wish i had a couple hundred thousand dollars to throw at a studio to make this, but I dont. I remember reading somewhere of a guy trying to make GT4Ohmy work, but that was 5 years ago and the project appears to have died. Its unfortunate, but oh well.
(06-22-2020, 07:45 PM)curlyawesomeace Wrote: The ping was ~125 ms. I tried a boat load of other stuff last night as well. Setting the DNS manually did help, but messing with EE cyclerate/skipping didnt help. Turning down graphics appeared to help, but that might have been placebo. I'm going to try zerotier, another VPN service, to see if I fix the performance issues. I'm also going to try setting up a direct BitTorrent connection later this week.

Have you managed to play LAN through zeroTier? I have managed to work host LAN PC server games through zeroTier but still I can't make PCSX2 work to it. I have tried using IP route to 25.255.255.0/24 to make the default gateway 25.255.255.254 accessible in Network Setup Disc Utility and still it didn't work. We can play Armored Core Last Raven through hamachi but the game goes slow-mo.