Gran Turismo 4 framerate problem
Hi everyone !

I got a problem while playing GT4 on PCSX. I have a huge framerate drop when there is some cars around, or when I play on a huge circuit. The moment where the effect is even worse is when I do 1 lap guide run, when I follow this damn Skyline x)

[Image: ykb0hMdl.png]

As you can see on this picture, all components are used below 70% (and it does this everytime I can see the Skyline or when there is a high demand on graphic power) I've tried to apply EE cycle rate hack and VU cycle stealing, the problem is still there. I also have enabled the Multithearded microVU but nothing worked, I still have a FPS drop.

My settings are GSDx 10 set on Direct3D11, Interlacing set on Auto and resolution scaling set on x2. Texture filtering enabled.

My BIOS is Europe BIOS version 02.20 (SCPH-77008) but I play an NTSC version of the game. I have 60FPS all the time, everywhere on the game, but when there is some higher graphic demand, I have a FPS drop.

My specs:
AMD FX-8320
AMD R9 280X
8GB Ram

If you have any solution, tell me Smile
Thank you ! Laugh
[Image: fd18dd7b4511a368bdd432e6bc449f84.jpg]

Sponsored links

I'm having similar issues on my tank of a pc. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just an emulation issue or that until a pc can be made twice as powerful perfect game play will be impossible on some games.

I honestly don't understand it bc I can play ps1 games on my phone at like 200 fps contantly. Just weird ps2 requires so much more power
(08-21-2014, 07:58 PM)markyrocks69 Wrote: I'm having similar issues on my tank of a pc. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just an emulation issue or that until a pc can be made twice as powerful perfect game play will be impossible on some games.

I honestly don't understand it bc I can play ps1 games on my phone at like 200 fps contantly. Just weird ps2 requires so much more power

Ps2 requires a more powerful pc because it is much more complex than ps1 in terms of its architecture and how it handles tasks. Ps1 emulation is a piece of cake due to its simplicity and the fact that games were not graphically demanding
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB
Yeah, but it does not help me ^^
The 70% can be a fake reading because of the usage of speedhacks.
What happens if you turn them off? (Maybe keep MTGS)

What about clamping:none?
None of this worked
EDIT : False reading ? I don't think so, as in Turbo mode I can sometimes get 100% of EE or GS usage
(08-21-2014, 09:35 PM)willkuer Wrote: What happens if you turn them off? (Maybe keep MTGS)

This was actually not a suggestion how to solve your problem... Just to see what the readings do if you don't use speedhacks. I would guess one is then at 100%.

You can test superVU instead of microVU but if this helps for gt and your system might be questionable.

Clamping:none didn't affect anything? You can set this setting at different places (EE and VU). I would guess Clamping:none would always reduce the load or crash the game.

What happens if you reduce the internal resolution?

Edit: Concerning fake readings you can just look into the taskmanager... If one thread is used by 100% you are cpu-limited. Independent on what EE says... In your case this would correspond to one process using 12-13% of the whole cpu.
- When I turn off speedhacks : FPS drops a little bit down, EE is between 80-90% but GS is still the same (65%)
- When I use superVU instead of microVU (speedhacks enabled) : It's a little bit faster (+4 FPS) but still, it does not fully use the components (same results as when I turn off Speedhacks) except it uses less EE (EE speedhack lvl 1)
- When I use superVU instead of microVU (speedhacks disabled) : Same thing, without EE boost
- Clamping:none : Setting this to none or normal doesn't affect anything, FPS and components usage still the same
- Reducing internal resolution : Reduce the GPU (not the GS) usage, but the game is freaking ugly. I got +1 FPS but still, I don't have the max speed.

EDIT : The PCSX2's CPU usage is 30%
EDIT2 : I can get even more CPU usage because I managed to get 36% CPU usage by PCSX2
(08-21-2014, 07:58 PM)markyrocks69 Wrote: I'm having similar issues on my tank of a pc. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just an emulation issue or that until a pc can be made twice as powerful perfect game play will be impossible on some games.

Until a pc can be made twice as powerful?

Lol mine isn't brand new but it plays 60FPS 90% of the time.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(08-22-2014, 03:12 AM)Donovan24 Wrote: Until a pc can be made twice as powerful?

Lol mine isn't brand new but it plays 60FPS 90% of the time.

Ok so I guess that other 10% isn't important? I would think that the 10% is the most system intensive (or buggy due to misinterpretation) . My pc is basically brand new and I get 60 fps 99% of the time which may be even more frustrating bc I see the light at the end of the tunnel and just when I feel the shine on my face it gets ripped away.