Gran Turismo 4 is very choppy on ''good'' PC
(03-04-2022, 07:46 PM)Zkybi Wrote: Same here, i got my ps2 in 2017 i think so ive had if for a while now but not even close to how long it has been around. Lovely system and it has a lot of great titels, i would like to play my games on it instead but its having some problems with reading discs and i don't feel like repairing it at the moment.

My PS2 takes like 3 minutes to load a game lol, I end up doing something else for a bit then coming back to see if the game is done being recognised yet.

Sponsored links

(03-04-2022, 07:50 PM)DANK_AS_FRICK Wrote: My PS2 takes like 3 minutes to load a game lol, I end up doing something else for a bit then coming back to see if the game is done being recognised yet.

Thats another reason why i have started emulating, faster load times better graphics and i don't need to keep switching around my monitors for the different systems that i have, Just a quality of life improvement i guess.
Have you tried to use Vsync? I'm playing GT4 Pal version right now and it's smooth as silk, even at 4k resolution, if I set my monitor refresh rate to 50hz Pal and enable Vsync in the emulator.

In the 1.6 version, the OpenGL hardware renderer works best for GT4. In Version 1.7 you can try the new Vulkan renderer but you can't use your wheel, because the built-in USB plugin in broken.
What's broken about it? We won't fix it unless people tell us it's not working.

We only have an issue related to crashing if the wheel is set up first, the workaround is apparently to start the game then set up the USB device. If it's something else please make an issue on our github so we can look in to it.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-09-2022, 10:58 AM)UnixRoot Wrote: Have you tried to use Vsync? I'm playing GT4 Pal version right now and it's smooth as silk, even at 4k resolution, if I set my monitor refresh rate to 50hz Pal and enable Vsync in the emulator.

In the 1.6 version, the OpenGL hardware renderer works best for GT4. In Version 1.7 you can try the new Vulkan renderer but you can't use your wheel, because the built-in USB plugin in broken.
Hmm that could work i'm gonna give it a try and see what happens, also what specs does your pc have? im just curious to see if that could be a reason to my problems.

Also is it the wait for Vsync selector in GS Window that im supposed to change? or is there another way to apply Vsync?
(03-09-2022, 06:24 PM)Zkybi Wrote: Hmm that could work i'm gonna give it a try and see what happens, also what specs does your pc have? im just curious to see if that could be a reason to my problems.

Also is it the wait for Vsync selector in GS Window that im supposed to change? or is there another way to apply Vsync?

I7 8700K, RTX 2070, 16 GB RAM. Not much faster than your specs. The game runs perfectly smooth at 60 fps with 8x scaling in progressive mode. The pal version runs with 50 fps in interlaced mode. The OpenGL plugin is noticably faster and the image isn't to dark like with d3d. And yep, that's the Vsync setting I'm talking about.
(03-09-2022, 09:09 PM)UnixRoot Wrote: I7 8700K, RTX 2070, 16 GB RAM. Not much faster than your specs. The game runs perfectly smooth at 60 fps with 8x scaling in progressive mode. The pal version runs with 50 fps in interlaced mode. The OpenGL plugin is noticably faster and the image isn't to dark like with d3d. And yep, that's the Vsync setting I'm talking about.

Yeah so hardware wont be an issue then, I'm playing with 4k and 16x anti-aliasing in opengl, this never uses more than about 50% on both the cpu and gpu gague that pcsx2 has.

This is why i'm so confused to why the game is behaving like this, no mater what settings i use the game still does the same annoying things, like getting very laggy as soon as i hit a bump for example.

But i'm gonna try what you recommended and see if it works. Also what is the difference between interlaced and progressive mode and how do i change it? (nevermind im just a bit blind thats all)