Gran Turismo 4 runs solid 60fps, still feels choppy at times
GT4 is not a game that strictly binds its framerate to its internal tick rate.

If it is reporting full speed in the title bar, then the game engine is running full speed. If video looks choppy, that is because the game, internally, isn't able to keep up on graphics, but can run full speed otherwise. From what I have seen, this is normal. Frankly, it is expected.

GT4 is one of many cases where a game toys around with the PS2's GS in ways that Sony didn't quite imagine when they built the thing. There are points where the game can run on a toaster, and there are points that make even the most hardcore GPUs cry for mercy as the emulated blending unit tears into it and sends your framerate diving into oblivion. And I don't think there's ever going to be anything you can do about it.

Jokes and hyperbole aside, yes, you should honestly expect there to be choppy patches where the framerate falls but the game still runs at "60 FPS (100%)", simply due to the nature of this game. It's not a configuration problem, it's just GT4 being GT4, and nothing (that we know of right now anyways) is going to change that.

Sponsored links

The EE% and GS% are both at 40-50% all the time during a Time Trial on Tsukuba.
Tried OpenGL too, the same thing, tried almost every setting possible.

(04-23-2019, 11:33 PM)pandubz Wrote: GT4 is not a game that strictly binds its framerate to its internal tick rate.

If it is reporting full speed in the title bar, then the game engine is running full speed. If video looks choppy, that is because the game, internally, isn't able to keep up on graphics, but can run full speed otherwise. From what I have seen, this is normal. Frankly, it is expected.

GT4 is one of many cases where a game toys around with the PS2's GS in ways that Sony didn't quite imagine when they built the thing. There are points where the game can run on a toaster, and there are points that make even the most hardcore GPUs cry for mercy as the emulated blending unit tears into it and sends your framerate diving into oblivion. And I don't think there's ever going to be anything you can do about it.

Jokes and hyperbole aside, yes, you should honestly expect there to be choppy patches where the framerate falls but the game still runs at "60 FPS (100%)", simply due to the nature of this game. It's not a configuration problem, it's just GT4 being GT4, and nothing (that we know of right now anyways) is going to change that.

That's such a shame, coming from the flawless gameplay on console to this, even though it has the better resolution and lighting, I would still play it on the PS2.

There's a guy on Youtube, xTimelessGaming, that uploades videos of GT4 that look great and his emulating doesn't seem to be choppy at all, he still uses some hardware-taxing settings so his game looks great.
That's because he has a GTX 1070, which is even better than my GTX 1060 6GB. It also comes down to both GPU and CPU performance.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!
(04-24-2019, 10:08 AM)gtgamer468 Wrote: That's because he has a GTX 1070, which is even better than my GTX 1060 6GB. It also comes down to both GPU and CPU performance.

So that matters even though my PC isn't used at its full capacity?
(04-24-2019, 09:22 AM)LaggyHacker Wrote: There's a guy on Youtube, xTimelessGaming, that uploades videos of GT4 that look great and his emulating doesn't seem to be choppy at all, he still uses some hardware-taxing settings so his game looks great.

Playing the game or watching a video is completely different thing.
Unless the video is recorder while looking at the game window(windowed mode),recording pcsx2 gameplay can be even smoother than 60fps internal speed while you are actually playing at 5fps while recording

The recording is capturing the frames and creates a video of them regardless of how fast the game is running.
For example you play at 1fps and the recording will capture 1 frame and wait until another one is ready to be captured and add it to the video file,it will not capture bunch of still images until another one appears(this will happen if you are recording the desktop)