Gran Turismo 4 vs my laptop
My old computer was deemed incapable of running GT4 which was no real surprise but I still haven't found a decent racing game I like so thought about trying GT4 again now I've got a new computer. How well (if at all) would it be able to run the game?

I'm now running i5 2.3GHz (2.9GHz with turbo boost whatever that actually means), 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia GT 540M 1GB gfx card.

Sponsored links

It should run it at an "okay" speed, but you won't get 60fps on that I'm afraid!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

That sounds nearly identical to my laptop, but I don't have GT4 to test for you, that said... I know from experience that I'm quite limited on the games I can run at full speed, and with GT4 being one of the "harder to emulate" titles I wouldn't expect perfection.
[Image: 2748844.png]
2.3 ghz not give u good fps in gt4 because the game need more resorces and high cpu clock rate at least in my experiance 2.8 . But when u enable turbo boost then maybe run at playable speed..
Enabling Turbo Boost will give him a lower FPS even, since the boost will make the CPU run at a higher speed, but it'll drop cores to do so.
(05-21-2013, 10:46 AM)StriFe79 Wrote: Enabling Turbo Boost will give him a lower FPS even, since the boost will make the CPU run at a higher speed, but it'll drop cores to do so.

If its the i5 2410m it can turbo to 2.6 with both cores active.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(05-21-2013, 10:58 AM)Dante3hs Wrote: If its the i5 2410m it can turbo to 2.6 with both cores active.

Yeah it's the 2410m. It claims to be able to get 2.9 with turboboost rather than 2.6 (or is that referring to something else?)Sounds like it may be just about playable so may give it a go. Cheers.
(05-21-2013, 08:42 PM)el nombre Wrote: Yeah it's the 2410m. It claims to be able to get 2.9 with turboboost rather than 2.6 (or is that referring to something else?)Sounds like it may be just about playable so may give it a go. Cheers.

The way turboboost works is that it's different depending on how many cores are being stressed. If a single core is being stressed, it has the potentially to reach 2.9ghz. If both cores are stressed (as with something intense like PCSX2), the max speed it can reach is 2.6.

I don't think there is a way to "force" turbo boost either way... You can either have it set to work automatically, or you can turn it off. You don't gain anything (on an un-overclocked CPU anyways) by turning it off.

The closest way to "force" turbo boost would be to disable a core, but that may in fact cause other issues with it so it's not recommended (I think there is software that can force cores, but that's also likely to cause issues)
[Image: 2748844.png]
Enable turbo if u see any benifit in fps then always enable it for pcsx2. And if not see any benifit disable them.
(05-22-2013, 04:35 AM)Yash the gamer Wrote: Enable turbo if u see any benifit in fps then always enable it for pcsx2. And if not see any benifit disable them.

Turbo would already be enabled. And there is no reason for the OP to disable turbo. Tbh your post leads me to believe that you dont understand turbo boosting properly.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming