Gran Tutrismo 4....does the game itself suffer from dropped frames?
I was just curious if GT4 suffers from framerate drops and dips below 60fps even on the real PS2 hardware? I've noticed that I'm getting what appears to be fluctuating fps between like 40 and 60fps in the game on certain tracks and was just wondering if it's the emulator or is this inherent in the actual game? If it's PCSX2, then I might just have to turn some settings down I guess. I''m running the game at 4x Native Custom Res using GDSX D3D11 because OGL is even worse and runs slow on my machine for some oddball reason:

Intel Devil's Canyon 4790K OC'ed to 4.6Ghz
GeForce 980Ti
32GB DDR3 Ram
2TB SSD

Sponsored links

If the framerate at the top of the gamewindow dips down from 60fps it means it's not directly related to real hardware performance. It's either your settings and/or your hardware, or there's something in the game that's really slow to emulate. Though from all available systems, yours should be able to handle it with the least amount of performance issues.

What resolution are you running, 4x native or custom res? They're different settings. ..x native resolutions are better, as custom resolution can cause issues. And are you sure you're not running outdated Nvidia drivers?
Try the EE overclock in the speedhacks tab.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(07-15-2016, 01:17 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Try the EE overclock in the speedhacks tab.
Have you seen his CPU? This game nor his CPU or GPU should need any non-default speedhack.
He mean to increase the EE clock,not decrease it.
Even if you have the most powerful pc,increasing the requirements(increasing the EE clock)helps some games to run better
(07-15-2016, 01:18 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Have you seen his CPU? 

Yes, it's an overclocked 4790K. It would have a higher stp than my overclocked 5820K. 

FlatOut Wrote:This game nor his CPU or GPU should need any non-default speedhack.

I said EE Overclock. Not all games ran well on the PS2. Some did drop frames on the original hardware, and overclocking the EE can help. SotC is a perfect example of this. Of course there are no reports on this with GT4 that I could find, so it's likely underclocking the EE or using the VU cycle stealing hack.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(07-15-2016, 06:27 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: I said EE Overclock. Not all games ran well on the PS2. Some did drop frames on the original hardware, and overclocking the EE can help. SotC is a perfect example of this. Of course there are no reports on this with GT4 that I could find, so it's likely underclocking the EE or using the VU cycle stealing hack.
And I said GT4 doesn't need it.

As he said OGL doesn't run well on his 980Ti, I suspect it might not be a PCSX2 issue, but something related to his PC configuration.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give those tips a try. I don't want to give the impression that GT4 runs slow or anything like that. The majority of the time I get mostly 60fps. Just on some tracks at certain parts like Trial Mountain and Nurburgring it'll dip below 60fps. I'll check to see if it's PCSX2.

By the way, why do you suppose OGL runs inferior to D3D on my machine? I've noticed it doesn't run as well in Dolphin too. What's up with that? What can I try in the nvidia control panel or Geforce Experience to better optimize OpenGL?
(07-16-2016, 10:33 AM)Isamu Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give those tips a try. I don't want to give the impression that GT4 runs slow or anything like that. The majority of the time I get mostly 60fps. Just on some tracks at certain parts like Trial Mountain and Nurburgring it'll dip below 60fps. I'll check to see if it's PCSX2.

By the way, why do you suppose OGL runs inferior to D3D on my machine? I've noticed it doesn't run as well in Dolphin too. What's up with that? What can I try in the nvidia control panel or Geforce Experience to better optimize OpenGL?
Things you could check when there's slowdown are the EE and GS percentages at the top of the game window and the RAM and VRAM usage on your PC.

I don't know why OGL runs so slow on your PC, it should run just as fast as D3D11. It has to be some setting or driver issue, as other people with the same GPU aren't reporting the same issue.
With 3x native on OpenGL a GTX 960 can maintain 60fps for GT4. Just use medium blending accuracy will do. Smile