Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories[NTSC]
I can play the game at full speed with a few minor drops to the 50s in certain areas

Sponsored links

(08-23-2009, 06:11 PM)bkwegoharder Wrote: I can play the game at full speed with a few minor drops to the 50s in certain areas

What's your system like bkwegoharder?

"It's hardly the emulator's fault... Demanding games require more than just average, but top of the line when it comes to hardware (especially in the CPU department, which is where your bottleneck is going to be for this game). Your best bet is just to play this game on your PS2."

Yep my pc was just about top of the line at the end of 2007/2008 (when I bought it brand new). So you're telling me I'd need quad cores and SLI graphics cards to play an old, fairly crappy looking game? Heck I can play GTA 4 fine on pc... Just saying the emulator is not optimized well enough OR something with my system (operating or otherwise) and/or the settings are causing it to perform so poorly.

And as regards to playing the game on my ps2, I've done that (a while ago, when the game first came out), I want to play it on pc that's the whole point.
yeah, how could an "emulator" of the ps2 be more demanding than pc games. impossible. i mean, the ps2 is so old and the graphics are so ugly, even my calculator should be able to run it....

nobody forces you to use pcsx2. if you don't like the fact that your system is not capable of emulating this ps2 game properly, then please continue to play it on your ps2. also, quadcores or sli setups are not supported by pcsx2, yet, you need to lurk more before posting. and probably even a fully optimized pcsx2 won't run this game at stable 60fps without the help of speed hacks on your system. stop blaming the emulator for your performance, better try to make a proper support request with all the necessary info like the versions of your pcsx2 and plugins and their complete configuration instead.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
(08-23-2009, 09:20 PM)bigshot Wrote:
(08-23-2009, 06:11 PM)bkwegoharder Wrote: I can play the game at full speed with a few minor drops to the 50s in certain areas

What's your system like bkwegoharder?

"It's hardly the emulator's fault... Demanding games require more than just average, but top of the line when it comes to hardware (especially in the CPU department, which is where your bottleneck is going to be for this game). Your best bet is just to play this game on your PS2."

Yep my pc was just about top of the line at the end of 2007/2008 (when I bought it brand new). So you're telling me I'd need quad cores and SLI graphics cards to play an old, fairly crappy looking game? Heck I can play GTA 4 fine on pc... Just saying the emulator is not optimized well enough OR something with my system (operating or otherwise) and/or the settings are causing it to perform so poorly.

And as regards to playing the game on my ps2, I've done that (a while ago, when the game first came out), I want to play it on pc that's the whole point.

Intel Core i7 @ stock so when playing pcsx2, the cpu runs at 2.8GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 4850 512MB

I use hardware mode, GSDX all speed hacks are on. EE sync hacks at 2x and the Vu Cycle stealling at level 3
I also use the micro vu, no frame skipping, and the settings in the advanced menu are at default. SPU2-X for sound.
Also, the emulator only needs a dual core. to emulate a system you pc needs to be many times faster than the system you are emulating. Plus the PS2 is really really complexed, it is a multi core system. so you need even more strength so that you can emulate everything at the same time.
(08-23-2009, 09:55 PM)zero29 Wrote: yeah, how could an "emulator" of the ps2 be more demanding than pc games. impossible. i mean, the ps2 is so old and the graphics are so ugly, even my calculator should be able to run it....

nobody forces you to use pcsx2. if you don't like the fact that your system is not capable of emulating this ps2 game properly, then please continue to play it on your ps2. also, quadcores or sli setups are not supported by pcsx2, yet, you need to lurk more before posting. and probably even a fully optimized pcsx2 won't run this game at stable 60fps without the help of speed hacks on your system. stop blaming the emulator for your performance, better try to make a proper support request with all the necessary info like the versions of your pcsx2 and plugins and their complete configuration instead.

I lurked the vice city stories posts as much as my eyes could take in one night. I'm not expecting a stable 60fps, 45 and above looks okay, but when it starts getting below that it's just unplayable (and this occurs as I said most of the time when you are actually in the city).
I'm just saying my system SHOULD be good enough to play it properly.
x3 cycle rate hack seems to speed it up a tad, instead of 25-30fps in the city it now gets 35-45fps (doesn't brake it in any way either), but still a tad slow for proper game play.