Grandia 3 - playable?
Hi there, I was waiting for Grandia III to be playable with Pcsx2, and with 0.96 it should be.

The problem is, it goes awfully slow,a t least on my pc, so slow that it actually gets umplayable. It starts at around 40-50 fps in the opening FMW, and that would be a nice speed.
But when the game actually starts, it goes down to around 20 fps, sometimes going down to 10.

Is there any way to speed it up a bit? Just up to 30-40 would be ok.

This are my Pc specs:

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core
2.20 GHz processor
3 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT (pixel shader 4.0)

I'm using the GSDx video plugin, with Direct3D10 renderer(Hardware).

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

Sponsored links

Try to disable all patches, gamefixes and speedhaks. Had 45-50 FPS ingame and 20-50 in FMV.
Unfortunatelly you have both a slow CPU and video card and the game can get slow at times even on faster machines. Try ticking the "native" checkbox in GSdx's options and enabling some speedhacks in the latest beta (EE x1.5 cycle rate and "VU cycle rate" set to slight work well in the game) and maybe setting the clamp modes in "config > advanced" to none could help.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(10-31-2009, 09:28 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Unfortunatelly you have both a slow CPU and video card and the game can get slow at times even on faster machines. Try ticking the "native" checkbox in GSdx's options and enabling some speedhacks in the latest beta (EE x1.5 cycle rate and "VU cycle rate" set to slight work well in the game) and maybe setting the clamp modes in "config > advanced" to none could help.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html

Tried all of that, speed it's still the same...thanks anyway Happy
with me it's the game runs without any problems but once the scene with the plane and miranda happens and after it looks like miranda and the main character crass the game just hangs there at a black screen without anything happening. Is there something i need to do? or is it just a bad iso?
Guys don't say AMD slow, my heart stop when i hear it! all PC games work perfectly at superb speed!
For example: Devil May Cry 4 - all improvements + 1280x1024 and got 100~160FPS
Crysis - all setup's very high + 1280x1024 and got 20~39FPS

and after all AMD slow?
PC gaming has nothing to do with PS2 emulation. So for PS2 emulation most of AMD's processors don't cut it. You need one of the latest Phenom 2 based processors or a high clocked Athlon to get good speeds with PS2 emulation. They also lack both SSSE3 and SSE4.1 so Intel has an advantage there too.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Last time I checked this game it was fully playable at solid 60fps Smile. Just overclock your processor until 3Ghz or 2.9 Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
Hehehe... but my CPU by default have Speed 3015Mhz per core, if all two cores used then 6030Mhz
I can't overclock CPU more than 3200Mhz Smile

ouu... sorry if this message not for me Laugh

By the way we have these problems with speed on AMD CPU's
You don't rate CPUs based on their total maximum potential... You rate them on ghz per core... And for good reason... In real world applications, 2 CPUs at 3ghz do not equal 1 CPU at 6ghz...

Copy Pasta Wrote:To help explain a bit... A single core processor is like a single car with room for one person.. A hyperthreaded core (like a pentium 4) is like a car with 2 people. Multiple core processors are like many cars that all share the same gas tank (cache).

Now let's say that all trips in the car start at point A. If a car takes someone someplace, the next person that uses the car must start again at point A.

Let's say point B is 50 miles away, point C is 100 miles from A, but only 75 miles from B...

Single core car is going 50 miles per hour. It first goes from point A to B, which is 1 hour. Then a new person gets in a single car and goes to point C from A, which is 2 hours. Total trip for both is 3 hours.

Hyperthreaded is also 50 MPH. From A to B is still 1 hour and the first person gets out. The second person takes over the car and goes from B to C which is 1.5hours for 2.5hours total (less time than just the single core)

Dual core is 2 seperate cars going 50MPH. Car 1 arrives in 1 hour, while it takes car 2 2 hours... But since both cars are going at the same time, it only takes 2 hours total instead.

Quad core is 4 cars going 25mph (half speed of dual for a very rough and easy estimate for my example). Car 1 arrives in 2 hours, while car 2 takes 4 hours. Total time, 4 hours with 2 of the cars sitting unused (this is what normally happens in PCSX2 in quad core examples)

That's why you can't simply multiply CPU speed x amount of cores to get a net speed. It all depends on how destinations you want to get to... If you have a lot of short distances to get to, 4 cars will be more efficient... But if you only have a couple long distances to go to, fewer cores will do fine and are generally faster.

^_^;; that's kind of a simplified version... I could go much more into detail... Like the fact that 4 cars sharing the same gas tank could quickly run out of gas (cache) if they are trying to all go long distances or if it's mishandled (the car going the shortest distance getting the most amount of gas)

I might try and refine this analogy and make it a quick copy pasta every time someone wonders why dual cores are faster at certain tasks when max combined ghz favors quads.

Obviously a quad of similar clock to dual, the final example would be the same as dual core, just still with 2 cars not doing much.

That said, if you have a top of the line AMD (a phenom 2) there shouldn't be any PS2 games that are playable in the emulator not be able to go full speed with an overclock.
[Image: 2748844.png]