Grandia III
Hi, first off, my speccs.

C2D T9300 2x2.5Ghz 6mb L2
4GB RAM
GF8600gtm @600/900 with GDDR3
Win 7 x64

I'm using r3119 latest beta of PSCX.
I do realize that my CPU underperforms for this game.

The problem I have have is... my CPU doesn't seem to be motivated to do its job. Sometimes during fights it doesn't use more than 20-40% according to task manager (also doesn't heat up as much), and the fps are relatively low. But then again on other occasions it goes almost 100% and heats up accordingly and delivers stunning fps.
Some Cutscenes run fluently, others stagger down to 24fps even tho the scene is relatively uncomplex.

For SpeedHacks, only a setting of EE to max and VU to max has any effect and boosts the game alot in some scenes, in others it does not.
Resolution doesn't affect FPS much, I set it to 1280x720 for the time being.
Often times, SpeedHacks give a huge FPS boost, but then again.. not.. I' not sure, but it often breaks synch hard.
I disabled any hacks.

Sometimes the game runs smooth and like a charm, but then again it refuses to.
There's nothing in the background affecting it.

The EE goes up to 100% with SpeedHacks disabled, the GS is 10-30%.

Using gsdx with DX10/11 (Hardware). Texture filtering is checked (dark)

Sponsored links

Your GPu way be a bit weak tooo (it's a mobile one...)

I guess you're using a laptop.
did you think about disabling power saving options ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Hi Smile

The CPU is set to run at maximum multiplier all the time, and that it does.

It's weird.. some really complex scenes on the boat oe similar run just fine, but then in fights for example it just lags.
What does the EE/GS% say when you get the slowdowns?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-12-2010, 09:32 PM)Revey88 Wrote: Sometimes during fights it doesn't use more than 20-40% according to task manager (also doesn't heat up as much), and the fps are relatively low. But then again on other occasions it goes almost 100% and heats up accordingly and delivers stunning fps.
Some Cutscenes run fluently, others stagger down to 24fps even tho the scene is relatively uncomplex.

Welcome to the world of PS2 emulation! You shouldn't be too surprised by any of this. It is possible with a laptop for Speedstep to be responsible, but it can and will happen regardless. After all, the emulator is a work in progress and your system is a little bit weak for it.

(09-12-2010, 09:32 PM)Revey88 Wrote: For SpeedHacks, only a setting of EE to max and VU to max has any effect and boosts the game alot in some scenes, in others it does not.
Resolution doesn't affect FPS much, I set it to 1280x720 for the time being.
Often times, SpeedHacks give a huge FPS boost, but then again.. not.. I' not sure, but it often breaks synch hard.
I disabled any hacks.

Setting EE cyclerate & VU stealing to the max could make things worse. After all, they are labeled [Not Recommended] for a reason. Not to say you shouldn't try them, but do it little by little and maybe try one at a time initially. Either way, you are trying it with the [Recommended] Speedhacks, right?

That 8600M GT is not too powerful, indeed. As with everything, it will vary entirely from game to game, but you shouldn't expect it to run higher than native resolution most times. I personally would see about getting good speed before trying high res. Native may not always help you on this game, but I'm sure it will for some others.
I added a Screencap of a Cutscene with good performance.
Sometimes weird flickering textures happen below and above the actual picture, but vanish after a cutscene. This doesn't happen every single time, but frequently.

Similar in a complex in-game cave scene I got 58fps, but cpu load is much higher, still smooth.

As you can see the scene plays with like 25% cpu load on both cores (greenish bars in the taskbar right lower corner).

In the fight scene the fps drop as soon as the mp/sp/hp bars appear, the music stutters a bit... it doesn't lag when the monsters appear and walk into position.
The GS in the fight is higher (~40%) compared to the GS elsewhere (<10%).

Interesting: While executing a special attack ,the fps are at smooth 60 and it works fine.. but when if shows the battlefield as a whole again it drops (maybe background?)
Fight2 is a picture during a special attack.. sound and fps suddenly pick up pace Tongue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1st pic looks like a FMV, those are usually easier to emulate so it's no wonder it's using less resources and in fact the GS thread is barely being used at all there.

2nd pic is limited by the CPU (there are more characters in the screen, it's normal to have lower speed then), enabling some speedhacks will help there, maybe changing the VUs to superVU and lowering the clamp modes but will maybe reduce compatibility and it's difficult to know what you have already cause you haven't posted your settings.

I have everything default for those, I'll try to set super VU and reduce clamp to none,

What settings for the hacks can be used savely?
The recommended ones, for the others try one by one and see if they help you or not.
EE Cyclerate set to medium (2) helps quite a lot in fights and makes them somewhat smooth. Some fights are totally smooth now.
Not sure if the VU setting to mild or little higher helps really.

Well the Game pretty much works pretty well with mai system ;D yay