Graphical downgrade across multiple versions?
I have not posted in this forum for a long time, and recently just got access to my account again after a long time. Anyway,

I recently upgrade from PCSX2.0.9.8 to PCSX2.1.0. And it automatically imported all of my previous settings as I expected. This meant that ALL settings were the same, including the plugin settings.

All of the settings were the same as before when I checked. However, when I play ANY game, the graphics are MAJORLY downgraded compared to the previous version of PCSX2 I ran. I checked the GS Plugin settings, and they were the same as the previous version.

After this, I tried putting plugins from the older version into the plugins folder of the new version, to try those out. So I selected the old plugins in the new version, and with the same settings as the old version, and still the same result.

I am not sure whether this is a bug or something else so I posted this in general discussions. Feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place.

But yeah, I need help on how I can optimize the settings so the graphics are as un-pixelated as they were in the previous version. I'm not sure why this might be happening though.

Sponsored links

Return the new plugins,
then delete the inis in your PCSX2 directory.

Start PCSX2,
and try manually setting it up from scratch.

That's the first thing I'd try.
Alright. I'm not sure why the settings would need to be different but I'll try that anyway. Thanks.
(12-16-2012, 02:34 PM)unfoorgiven Wrote: Alright. I'm not sure why the settings would need to be different but I'll try that anyway. Thanks.

Many things changed since version 0.9x. That simple. Many new settings were added, some were removed, a few other altered...
Imagination is where we are truly real
I see.

I just realized it was the scaling. Even though on PCSX2.0.9.8 it was set to Direct3D 10 (Hardware) with native scaling, and it was the same on PCSX2.1.0, the graphics were much worse on PCSX2.1.0. When I turned native scaling off and set it to a custom resolution which had a 16:9 aspect ratio (which for some reason would make me think the upscaling would result in HEAVIER graphical decrease), the graphical quality of PCSX2.1.0 MAJORLY improved to the point where it was as good as in PCSX2.0.9.8. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess if it makes it the same as PCSX2.0.9.8, I'll stick with it.

Edit: When I installed the new version of PCSX2.1.0, the scaling was actually set to Native, which for some reason also applied to the older version of PCSX2.0.9.8, which is why both versions had really bad graphics afterwards. It wasn't actually what changed in PCSX2.1.0, it was actually the settings in PCSX2.1.0 being changed for some reason which also affected the settings of PCSX2.0.9.8. I merely turned off the native scaling, which set it to what it was before, for both versions. Afterwards, the quality on both was the same as what it was previously on PCSX2.0.9.8 before I installed PCSX2.1.0. I'm not sure why the setting change applied to both versions, but I've pretty much fixed it now by setting the scaling to the resolution it was at before.
(12-16-2012, 07:03 PM)unfoorgiven Wrote: I see.

I just realized it was the scaling. Even though on PCSX2.0.9.8 it was set to Direct3D 10 (Hardware) with native scaling, and it was the same on PCSX2.1.0, the graphics were much worse on PCSX2.1.0. When I turned native scaling off and set it to a custom resolution which had a 16:9 aspect ratio (which for some reason would make me think the upscaling would result in HEAVIER graphical decrease), the graphical quality of PCSX2.1.0 MAJORLY improved to the point where it was as good as in PCSX2.0.9.8. I'm not sure why this is, but I guess if it makes it the same as PCSX2.0.9.8, I'll stick with it.

Edit: When I installed the new version of PCSX2.1.0, the scaling was actually set to Native, which for some reason also applied to the older version of PCSX2.0.9.8, which is why both versions had really bad graphics afterwards. It wasn't actually what changed in PCSX2.1.0, it was actually the settings in PCSX2.1.0 being changed for some reason which also affected the settings of PCSX2.0.9.8. I merely turned off the native scaling, which set it to what it was before, for both versions. Afterwards, the quality on both was the same as what it was previously on PCSX2.0.9.8 before I installed PCSX2.1.0. I'm not sure why the setting change applied to both versions, but I've pretty much fixed it now by setting the scaling to the resolution it was at before.

The ini files format changed (as some files also), you should not mix both.

PS: I mean, you can have both, just keep them separated, avoid using the installer to C:\Program Files... (actually that's valid for native PC games as well, mainly those using plugins and mods).

Use the portable option for 1.0, if not existing create a file called portable.ini at the main PCSX2 1.x folder and it will use the own structure as root instead. This have many advantages, not a minor one is you can copy the whole folder to a pendrive and move to another computer keeping all configurations intact... and so on.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(12-16-2012, 02:51 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Many things changed since version 0.9x. That simple. Many new settings were added, some were removed, a few other altered...

(12-16-2012, 08:45 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The ini files format changed (as some files also), you should not mix both.

PS: I mean, you can have both, just keep them separated, avoid using the installer to C:\Program Files... (actually that's valid for native PC games as well, mainly those using plugins and mods).

Use the portable option for 1.0, if not existing create a file called portable.ini at the main PCSX2 1.x folder and it will use the own structure as root instead. This have many advantages, not a minor one is you can copy the whole folder to a pendrive and move to another computer keeping all configurations intact... and so on.

Ah, that's really useful! Thanks!
Also, one more thing. Are memcards shared? Probably a stupid question but I need to make sure. As a safety measure.
Yes.
Memory cards should always be compatible. Smile