Graphical odditeis in Disgaea 2
Do you have any texture filtering turned on? Also, have you tried toggling 8 bit textures?
AMD Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit

Sponsored links

*Nods*
I tried it in both hardware as well as software modus, for both DX9 -and- DX10. Neither have produced any tangible results. The screen continues to turn fuzzy with a menu opening up. Going through different interlacing levels does not help either.
And I would like to add that I have pie for whoever solves this.

Its apple. With ice cream.
Well, try ZZogl -- if fuzziness is still there, than it's possible one of this rounding issues.
Unless there's something new and more serious, I'm thinking the fuzziness is just the usual bad interlacing used by Disgaea 2. There's no easy fix. Typically I find I can get rid of most of the worst of it by using Bob Tff/Bff interlacing, in combination with some oddball vertical resolutions in GSdx, like 1280x872 or 1024x864 or something (can't remember the exact value, and your own personal preferences might vary).

If you use Blend Bff/Tff interlacing you'll have a little less flicker, but a lot more fuzz/blur (and an effective framerate of 45fps, regardless of what the status bar or directx fps counter says).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Thanks for the tip, I will experiment a little with that.

The one thing that bugs me though, is that 1/2 second of perfect clarity when I open the menu. If I did not have to see that momentary contrast each time I opened the in game menu I doubt it would bother me so much.
Ok, tried ZZogl as well. Seems to be the same problem.
I switched through different resolutions, but that doesn't seem to help with ZZogl either...

Bff/Tff interlacing makes it a little less obvious, but it still is there, unfortunately, which begins to hurt eyes after a bit.

Like Stormy (again haha), I see, for but a moment when opening, everything -absolutely- clear, then fuzzy. It's strange.
So... they pie may be gone, but the problem remains.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?
(10-09-2009, 07:44 PM)Gone With The Wind Wrote: Like Stormy (again haha), I see, for but a moment when opening, everything -absolutely- clear, then fuzzy. It's strange.

Not strange. It's doing exactly what it's designed to do. When Disgaea2 brings up the menu it fails to refresh the screen briefly (basically it skips a couple frames while it prepares/sorts all the menu content). This undoes the interlacing effect and makes the image look "nice" for a half second.

There's no easy fix for this problem. PS2 games like Disgaea2 were designed to look good on specific types of interlaced TV displays, and they use "clever" tricks to make the interlacing work nicely on those displays. There are some ways to "hack" the game to run in progressive mode, and some folks wouldn't like the result anyway (all hacks have their drawbacks), so it's not a high priority for us yet.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Interesting. If it looks clear because the interlacing failed to load, then it seems odd that disable the interlacing would not make the image always clear.

You say a hack would fix this? Am I correct in assuming such a hack has not been made to date?