Graphics or speed problems in final fantasy X-2
I know there is a known issue with the GSDX10 hardware renderer which shows every other frame as black in the FMVs. This kind of nauseating fickering is something I can't deal with. The way I saw it there are 3 options, use blend (which shows my fps down to 35-37 instead of 50, as well as darkening the video (which I can deal with)), use software renderer (which slows my fps down to 35-37) or use zeroGS (which slows my FPS down to 35-37).

So me being a 'mess around till it works' guy, I tried every speedhack I could find, but none of them change the FPS in the slightest.
I'm running an intel quad core Q8200 at 2.33ghz (but it's only using 20% processor power during the cut scenes so I don't think that can be the problem)
ATI radeon HD 4870 videocard (SSE4.1)
4 gigs ram.

What is the bottleneck here? any thoughts to how I can speed this up?
EDIT: using beta 1888 with the march 11 plugins, which is a significant improvement over the current release, which I also tried.

Sponsored links

known bug, not solved yet

Use software renderer during the fmvs and switch back to hadware during game play (F9)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-09-2010, 06:55 PM)jesalvein Wrote: known bug, not solved yet

Use software renderer during the fmvs and switch back to hadware during game play (F9)

I know there's a known bug as I wrote in the first sentence of my post. I'm wondering if there is any way to speed up the FMVs in software renderer.
getting a good cpu, I guess... like dual core 3.2ghz
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-09-2010, 07:03 PM)jesalvein Wrote: getting a good cpu, I guess... like dual core 3.2ghz

It's only using 20% of my cpu during FMVs, it doesn't make sense to me that that would be the problem
The % in the GS window is the GS thread load not your real CPU usage. You can check that with windows task manager. And yes videos are 100% CPU speed dependent.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(04-09-2010, 08:26 PM)zoef Wrote: [quote='jesalvein' pid='105796' dateline='1270832581']

It's only using 20% of my cpu during FMVs, it doesn't make sense to me that that would be the problem
The question is exactly where you saw that 20% percentage display, as it could relate to other things than CPU load, like Bositman said. I would take it as a valid CPU load indication only if it came from system software like the Windows 'Task Manager' or similar tool.

If the total CPU usage of your quad-core CPU really is only 20%, then I'd say that your obvious problem is that the GPU plugin does not use your 4 CPU cores efficiently, but only uses one of them. The 20% total load then translates to an appx 80% of a single core, and when you add in the usual 'invisible' CPU loads and 'overhead costs' of the OS this total can very well choke the emulation.

Unfortunately I have no ideas on how to force the GPU plugin or other parts of the emulator to use available CPU cores more efficiently, as I am still pretty much of a newbie when it comes to pcsx2. But hopefully one of the veterans here can supply some tips on how to do that.

For most relevant help you will probably need to add a lot more details about your system and setup though, as every detail counts...

Best regards: dlanor
(04-09-2010, 08:49 PM)dlanor Wrote:
(04-09-2010, 08:26 PM)zoef Wrote: [quote='jesalvein' pid='105796' dateline='1270832581']

The question is exactly where you saw that 20% percentage display, as it could relate to other things than CPU load, like Bositman said. I would take it as a valid CPU load indication only if it came from system software like the Windows 'Task Manager' or similar tool.

If the total CPU usage of your quad-core CPU really is only 20%, then I'd say that your obvious problem is that the GPU plugin does not use your 4 CPU cores efficiently, but only uses one of them. The 20% total load then translates to an appx 80% of a single core, and when you add in the usual 'invisible' CPU loads and 'overhead costs' of the OS this total can very well choke the emulation.

Unfortunately I have no ideas on how to force the GPU plugin or other parts of the emulator to use available CPU cores more efficiently, as I am still pretty much of a newbie when it comes to pcsx2. But hopefully one of the veterans here can supply some tips on how to do that.

For most relevant help you will probably need to add a lot more details about your system and setup though, as every detail counts...

Best regards: dlanor

pcsx2 doesn't support quad
changing affinity of pcsx2 to core3 and 4 (2 and 3 in affinity) and priority at high gives a slight performence boost of around ~15 to 20%
[Image: 1454055.png]