Graphics problem: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
I'm using PCSX2 1.4 because I have an old system and I can't run the latest versions.

That said, I'm having a weird problem in Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events, which I'm hoping can be fixed with a setting somewhere.

I'm using the #4 preset for the emulation settings (I'm aware that LSASOUE needs a couple special settings to be playable, but I haven't gotten that far), and default graphics settings. Hardware hacks aren't enabled and I haven't set any shaders.

The titles, main menu, cutscenes and HUD all look fine, however in hardware mode, all the game graphics are extremely blurry. D3D9 is worse, but OpenGL doesn't look right either. Software mode is fine, but runs slower.

Direct3D9 (Hardware)
[Image: LSASOUE-D3-D9.png]

OpenGL (Hardware)
[Image: LSASOUE-OGL.png]

Software (either/both)
[Image: LSASOUE-Soft.png]

Allow 8-bit Textures, Logarithmic-Z and Alpha Correction don't make a difference. Neither does enabling HW hacks and changing the Skipdraw setting. I've tried changing some of the other settings on that window, but nothing seemed to make a difference.

I've had graphical bugs in other games, but I've never seen this before. It's like there's a shader being applied, but just to the 3D graphics.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I didn't see anything about this in the Wiki.

Sponsored links

Unless you're running on Windows XP, there's no reason 1.5.0 would be incompatible with your system. All in all, that explains why you're having issues. Give us details on what you're using and we'll go from there
(12-12-2019, 05:08 AM)CK1 Wrote: Unless you're running on Windows XP, there's no reason 1.5.0 would be incompatible with your system. All in all, that explains why you're having issues. Give us details on what you're using and we'll go from there

Yes, I have an old system and still have XP on it. Yes, I could probably run Win7, but I don't have a lot of experience installing Windows, so I really don't want to nuke a working system and start over from scratch. At some point I hope to get a newer, faster system, but I don't have a lot of money and also don't have any experience building a system from scratch, so for now this is what I have.

I have a 2.40Ghz Core-2-Duo CPU
4GB RAM
GT430 graphics card
Realtek onboard audio

It's fast enough to make some less-demanding games run at pretty much full speed, and a bunch of others run fast enough to be playable.

Other than speed problems, the only issues I've run into have been known ones. Like that Spider-Man 2 needs to be run in software mode to avoid graphics problems, black sky in Burnout games unless you load the first race in software mode, etc.

If this is some known bug with the game in 1.4.0, then so be it, I just didn't find any reference to blurry graphics in the game. The only issue reported was the inability to pick up objects unless certain options were set.
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Try the latest build here, a hack was made a few weeks ago to fix the glitch where you can't grab the boxing glove.

If it's still blurry-laggy, I would recommend the game on Dolphin, it runs a lot faster on it.
(12-12-2019, 09:14 AM)Devina Wrote: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Try the latest build here, a hack was made a few weeks ago to fix the glitch where you can't grab the boxing glove.

As the first first line of my original post said;

Quote:I'm using PCSX2 1.4 because I have an old system and I can't run the latest versions.

(12-12-2019, 09:14 AM)Devina Wrote: If it's still blurry-laggy, I would recommend the game on Dolphin, it runs a lot faster on it.

I can't run any new versions of Dolphin either and the version I do have, 4.0, runs like crap for me. I can't play anything on it, at least not with sound. Sad
Not a good recommendation since it involves owning a game twice, anyways. But yeah, since dolphin is more GPU dependant, you'll have a hard time.
Anyways, 1.4.0 won't get fixed since it's an old version, and newer builds will never work on winxp since dx9 support is definitely dropped in gsdx
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-12-2019, 11:44 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Not a good recommendation since it involves owning a game twice, anyways. But yeah, since dolphin is more GPU dependant, you'll have a hard time.

When I first downloaded Dolphin, I loaded the game 1080 Avalanche and the opening FMV played great, so I was expecting emulation on the level of the PS2 or Dreamcast. Then it went to the main menu and the game stuttered badly, making it unplayable. I was only able to make it playable by disabling the sound.

(12-12-2019, 11:44 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Anyways, 1.4.0 won't get fixed since it's an old version, and newer builds will never work on winxp since dx9 support is definitely dropped in gsdx

Yes, I'm aware of this. I posted this thread because I was hoping that there's some setting I can change in 1.4.0 to fix the graphics. For example, missing graphics in Burnout 3 and Portal Runner can be fixed by loading the level in software mode and then switching to hardware mode. The ghosting in Burnout 3 can be fixed by increasing the Skipdraw setting. Missing graphics in Star Wars: Bounty Hunter can be fixed by changing the clamping modes.

Searching the net, the only reference to problems with playing Lemon Snicket in PCSX2 is the object pickup bug. That can be fixed by changing a couple settings. I've confirmed that it works. It's just that I seem to be the only one having the blurry graphics glitch.

I mean, usually when I encounter a problem, I check the Wiki and others have described the same thing, like the vertical lines that show up in some games in hardware mode or the missing eyes in Jak & Daxter. Typically the only issue I have that others don't is that my system may not be fast enough to make a particular game playable. This is the first game where I seem to be encountering a unique bug.

Does anyone else have this problem with Lemony Snicket in hardware mode in PCSX2 1.4.0?
This definitely looks like some sort of screen filter/post processing/other effect is going horribly wrong, but there's not really a lot that can be said other than guesses, especially since you're stuck on 1.4.0.

- Are you upscaling on the hardware renderers? If the problem goes away at native resolution, then that means an effect is being ruined by upscaling.
- Tried Half Pixel Offset? Highly unlikely to help, but it's sometimes a miracle fix.
- Tried Unscale Point and Line? Even more unlikely but also sometimes a miracle fix.
- Tried disabling depth emulation? Maybe this is a depth effect?
- Tried seeing if skipdraw can remove it without trashing other screen elements?
- Can you deal with software mode?
(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: This definitely looks like some sort of screen filter/post processing/other effect is going horribly wrong, but there's not really a lot that can be said other than guesses, especially since you're stuck on 1.4.0.

Thanks for trying anyway. Smile

(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: - Are you upscaling on the hardware renderers? If the problem goes away at native resolution, then that means an effect is being ruined by upscaling.

All the screenshots were taken at native resolution.

(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: - Tried Half Pixel Offset? Highly unlikely to help, but it's sometimes a miracle fix.

No difference with it checked/unchecked.

(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: - Tried Unscale Point and Line? Even more unlikely but also sometimes a miracle fix.
- Tried disabling depth emulation? Maybe this is a depth effect?

My version of the video plugin doesn't have those options.

(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: 1.4.0 doesn't- Tried seeing if skipdraw can remove it without trashing other screen elements?

No difference. I've tried a few different numbers; 1, 3, 4, 5, etc.

(12-13-2019, 02:50 AM)pandubz Wrote: - Can you deal with software mode?

I can try, but past experience is that software mode is usually too slow. Even hardware mode slows down too much on some games. I started playing The Incredibles, thinking I could deal with the slower game speed, then I got to the island level and all the vegetation turned the game into a slideshow. The Wiki notes that this game may slow down in spots, so software mode probably won't be the best experience. To be honest, I haven't really tried it, I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with hardware mode.