Graphics stretch issue with latest nVidia drivers
See post here for potential fix

Hi all

I'm using the latest PCSX2 dev build (5731) with the latest nVidia 326.80 beta drivers. I do understand beta drivers are prone to issues and are not officially supported, but given the nature of the problem this may or may not get fixed by nVidia.

The issue is that many game title/menu screens will abnormally stretch quite badly with any nVidia 326 series driver. The problem is intermittent and will alternate from normal to stretched. This does not occur with 320.XX or previous.

I have provided a screen shot from the title screen of SSX.

The problem occurs despite what settings are used in GSdx plugin or in Emulation Settings.

This was reported in the "Official NVIDIA 326.80 BETA Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 8/20/13)" by another user, but ManuelG from nVidia was reluctant to follow up with this by stating: "I'll see what we can do but legally we can't fix this bug if the only way to reproduce it is by loading a PS2 ROM into the emulator. Any other way or any similar app that shows this behavior?"

If nVidia are indeed reluctant to look into this issue then it may carry over into the final WHQL driver which could be a cause for concern for a few PCSX2 users who may update their graphics card driver.

Is this something that could be fixed by the PCSX2 team?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

you mean fix NVIDIA drivers ?
i don't think they are open source...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-17-2013, 11:15 PM)jesalvein Wrote: you mean fix NVIDIA drivers ?
i don't think they are open source...

No sorry. I meant if there was something in PCSX2 that could be changed to compensate for this in case there has been a change in the drivers.
If the stable drivers work then why do you need to use the beta drivers?
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
(09-17-2013, 11:26 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: If the stable drivers work then why do you need to use the beta drivers?

Your question is irrelevant.

nVidia's beta drivers often have fixes and optimizations for latest release games and are, from time to time, recommended to fix certain problems. If nVidia don't do anything their end then this problem could carry over to their next "stable" release.
(09-17-2013, 11:02 PM)sean_skroht Wrote: ... but ManuelG from nVidia was reluctant to follow up with this by stating: "I'll see what we can do but legally we can't fix this bug if the only way to reproduce it is by loading a PS2 ROM into the emulator. Any other way or any similar app that shows this behavior?"

Since "Intermittently" and "sometimes happen" are the worse things a developer can hear, I think it's best if you first find a reliable way to reproduce it, or at least to reproduce it frequently enough to capture it after several tries.

If you do, then hopefully you could create a GS dump which captures it (from within PCSX2 - the capture should be started before your "event" happens, and lasts at most few seconds - before the file becomes huge - but still also highly compressible), and hopefully replaying the dump via GSdumpGUI will reproduce the problem.

Replaying the dump with this tool doesn't involve using bios/rom/ISO/etc, so it shouldn't be an issue if you send them a package with the tool and the dump in a nice zip with some instructions.

GSdumpGUI is a stand-alone dotNET project whose source code is part of PCSX2 but its binary isn't distributed with PCSX2 since it has no use for end users, so I'm attaching a version here. It's GPL and you can send it to them.

You could find instructions on how to create a GS dump here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-GSdx

Note: since it's intermittent, maybe if you capture the place where it sometimes happen (even if your capture didn't "see the bug"), you might still be able to reproduce the bug sometimes while replaying the dump with this tool.

A lot of ifs and definitely some work, but worth a try IMO.

Attached Files
.7z   GSdumpGUI.7z (Size: 90,13 KB / Downloads: 375)
Hi avih,

Thanks for your suggestion and I'll definitely look into it. I'll see if I can PM ManuelG directly and get him to have a look at the GS dump.
This is a driver issue I noticed Swtor with the 327.23 wqhl the initial splash screen get zoomed in sorta like what you show in your picture, for split second and random on loading, This happens so fast it not possible to take screen shot of it. I have not seen it happen in PCSX2 in any the game i tested though.

I reported this to nvidia but it probably got buried under all the other posts
I haven't had any issues with 327.23.
(09-20-2013, 01:56 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: This is a driver issue I noticed Swtor with the 327.23 wqhl the initial splash screen get zoomed in sorta like what you show in your picture, for split second and random on loading, This happens so fast it not possible to take screen shot of it. I have not seen it happen in PCSX2 in any the game i tested though.

I reported this to nvidia but it probably got buried under all the other posts

Yeah the problem happens only for a split second and then returns normal and then happens again for another split second.

UPDATE: I tried capturing the problem using avih's GS Dump method but when playing it back with GSdumpGUI the problem doesn't show up even though I happened to capture it when it WAS actually occurring. This problem isn't setting specific as it occurs even if PCSX2 is at default settings. I use the GSdx SSE4 plugin along with SPU2 and Lillypad. Issue usually happens on non 3D title screens and not normally in-game although I can get flashes from time to time.