Great computer, but PCSX2 still runs slow.
(02-05-2014, 04:36 AM)Mkilbride Wrote: Dot hack // G.U is one of the most intense games to emulate on the PS2. It had slow downs on the PS2, just like SoTC and whatnot.

Even I struggle running it.

You are gravely mistaken. Its no where near the caliber of SoTC. Not even remotely close. That series is easy to run. I can run it fine at 60FPS with a 3570 at 4.5ghz.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3

Sponsored links

Okay this thread is not for having a cpu architecture argument.

Single threaded performance is important, as I pointed out in the guide I wrote http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-CPU...rts-needed however 1500+ on that test will run pretty much any game at close to full speed. I have an FX6300 with the same single threaded performance, and I can run any game I've tested including SoTC with the right amount of tweaking.

I don't own this game to test, so it is possible that it's super demanding, but if it is, someone needs to report that here:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-LIST-The-...sive-Games

Anyway, lets get back on topic of helping the OP to find out what this issue is.

To OP:

What are your settings?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
We are trying to help him. There's just some things that can't be done. Also, it is the cardinal rule, to not come to these forums and go "I have a super powerful system, so it's not my system" - you post that in your first post, and flak is to be expected. That's how things go around PCSX2's forums.

I find it unlikely you can run SoTC because the PCSX2 devs themselves told me that you'd need around 4.8GHZ Intel of a new architecture to even approach playable frame-rates. Even then, you'd get dips. In the end, he told me to buy the HD remake on PS3, and I did. Don't give him false hope. I find your attitude rude and disrespectful, as if we were all children and you're the adult come to reprimand us.

When I tried to run this game, granted, some time ago, circa 2011, a dev popped in and told me it was a very difficult game to emulate properly because it was one of the last games on the PS2 system, and was very badly optimized. This is true, as on the PS2, there are parts where it slides from 60FPS to 25.

Some hacks could obviously help, but some games aren't just 100% perfect in emulation yet.
|| Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHZ || Gigabyte AUROS 1080 Ti 11GB @ 2050MHZ/12GHZ Memory || 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHZ || 1TB Samsung Evo 850 SSD + 128GB 830 SSD || 4TB HDD + 1TB HDD || Windows 10 64-bit Professional || EVGA G3 850w PSU || MB: Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 ||
(02-05-2014, 05:01 AM)Mkilbride Wrote: Also, it is the cardinal rule, to not come to these forums and go "I have a super powerful system, so it's not my system" - you post that in your first post, and flak is to be expected. That's how things go around PCSX2's forums.
Yes, that is generally how it goes.

Quote:I find it unlikely you can run SoTC because the PCSX2 devs themselves told me that you'd need around 4.8GHZ Intel of a new architecture to even approach playable frame-rates. Even then, you'd get dips.

Would you like proof? Which dev told you this?

Quote:I find your attitude rude and disrespectful, as if we were all children and you're the adult come to reprimand us.

Because I disagreed with you? Did I ever even mention your name? Rude and disrespectful is going: "AMD CPU. Sorry"
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
You guys will have to forgive me, I'm not super fluent or savvy with computers so in depth. I never meant to brag about my computer or anything, I just assumed it was good because the people I bought it from said it was, and I've been able to play modern games like Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite on the highest settings. I'm real sorry.

I'm a bit confused about the overclocking thing, my AMD Overdrive seems to only go up to 1400 Mhz: http://imgur.com/POdQwOk
There is a link to what I see with the settings.

Without any speedhacks, in a battle, the EE gets down to about 40-50%, and the GS stays around 10-20%. Even in menus it will get that low. Sometimes though, when I'm just looking at only the wall and nothing else is on screen, everything will speed up nearly twice as fast.

Thank you all for the input. I really do appreciate it. Again, sorry for assuming my computer was good. I also did not intend to say that it is the emulator's fault.
Please post your settings, like I asked. Specifically from Config->Emulation Settings->Speedhacks and config-> Video -> Plugin settings.

Also, what you see there when you are overclocking is your GPU. That won't make much difference here, you need to overclock your CPU. That is done in the BIOS. As I said before my CPU is the same as yours except mine is 6 cores, not 8. If you can get to 4Ghz or higher, you should be good.

But then again if your tech level is too low, you might not wanna do that. It's up to you. My FX6300 @ 4.12Ghz plays every PCSX2 game I throw at it. A few have minor slowdown here and there, but they are all completely playable.
www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1842563/amd-8320-vishera-clock-speed.html

Download CPU-Z and tell us your clockspeeds when playing.

www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-05-2014, 09:46 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Please post your settings, like I asked. Specifically from Config->Emulation Settings->Speedhacks and config-> Video -> Plugin settings.

Also, what you see there when you are overclocking is your GPU. That won't make much difference here, you need to overclock your CPU. That is done in the BIOS. As I said before my CPU is the same as yours except mine is 6 cores, not 8. If you can get to 4Ghz or higher, you should be good.

But then again if your tech level is too low, you might not wanna do that. It's up to you. My FX6300 @ 4.12Ghz plays every PCSX2 game I throw at it. A few have minor slowdown here and there, but they are all completely playable.

Right, sorry! Here is a screenshot of my settings currently. I think the speedhacks are just on default now. I've tried adjusting those multiple times in many combinations trying to get it to work.

And I might not know everything about the inner workings of a computer, I'd like to. If you could tell me how I might go about adjusting my Overclocking, that would be amazing.

Also, your signature, that language is from Ar tonelico, right?
(02-05-2014, 11:46 AM)DongBear Wrote: Right, sorry! Here is a screenshot of my settings currently. I think the speedhacks are just on default now. I've tried adjusting those multiple times in many combinations trying to get it to work.

And I might not know everything about the inner workings of a computer, I'd like to. If you could tell me how I might go about adjusting my Overclocking, that would be amazing.

Also, your signature, that language is from Ar tonelico, right?

Yes the language is Hymmnos from Ar tonelico. It says "I'm very happy to hold dreams in my heart forever"

I don't see any screenshot of your settings though, lol.

As far as overclocking, since you have an FX CPU that means it's unlocked. In laymans terms it means that overclocking is easy to do. Basically you go into your BIOS setup by pushing something like DEL or F11 when the PC boots(it should say something like "Press F2 to enter setup."

Once there, somewhere you will find an option for clock control. Take care that what you change is the multiplier, not the base clock. Your base multiplier should be something like 17.5. Go ahead and increase that to 20 and that will put you at 4Ghz. Then see if you can boot into windows. If you can, run a program like IntelBurn Test to see if you are stable. If you get errors or crashes, you aren't. Keep repeating this process until you hit the highest speed that you are stable at. But there is also really no need to go beyond 4.4Ghz and 4.2 would be fine.

BUT and this is a big but: Only do this if you have aftermarket cooling. If you are using the wimpy CPU cooler that came with the processor, it won't be able to keep up with the heat.

Also, in order to get higher clock rates, you might need to increase the voltage. This will also increase the heat exponentially and I don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing.

All of this is at your own risk, of course. Overclocking is pretty safe. If you increase the voltage, it will reduce the life of the CPU somewhat. But as long as you don't go insane and have good cooling, you will need a new CPU anyway do to technological progress before the old one dies.

Any other questions you can feel free to PM me.
Whoops, I forgot to paste it: http://i.imgur.com/35mWdP7.jpg

Thank you very much for your help and input. I shall try that out and see if it helps and report back.