Gsdx Hardware Rendering problem
Geomtry shader help to move some computing from CPU to GPU. For example, quad are render as line, the GS transform them into 2 triangles.

Sponsored links

Ah, okay. Makes sense. That'd be really nice for my current setup too. My processor (AMD Phenom II X4 940) runs extremely hot. To the point I hung the machine from overheating playing FFX. Getting off the software renderer and off-loading as much as I can to the GPU should help bring that down a lot.

Steel01

Edit: seems there's a clipping issue in the hw renderer. Something else to tack on to the already long enough list. Tongue Attached are software and hardware pics for comparison. Switching between the 2 for the pics also starkly showed me how nice the internal res upscale for the hw renderer is. Looks so much nicer.

[attachment=44929][attachment=44930]
I really don't understand why GS is bad. Can you try to enable geometry shader with this patch.
Index: GSShaderOGL.cpp
===================================================================
--- GSShaderOGL.cpp (revision 5698)
+++ GSShaderOGL.cpp (working copy)
@@ -246,7 +246,7 @@
if (GLLoader::found_only_gl30) {
header = "#version 130\n";
} else {
- header = "#version 330\n";
+ header = "#version 410\n";
}
if (m_glsl420) {
header += "#extension GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack: require\n";
========================================================

For FFX, it could be a depth fighting issue. Anyway, I would like a gs file. A gs is record of all GS input in PS2 format.
1/ go to the scene
2/ ctrl-shift-F8
3/ keep ctrl pressed one second or two. I need several frame but not too much because the file is very big!
The file will be saved in pcsx2/snaps directory.

Edit: by the way, there is a logz option in GSdx.ini maybe you can give it a try
No, there's no difference with that. Still no intro in XII and characters smearing across the background in X.

I'll get the GS file(s) generated and uploaded soon. I've seen that on several games I cycled through. One of the worst was Tales of the Abyss. When the character was running away from the camera, I could see his face. I'll grab a dump of that one too.

Steel01

Edit: Well, nevermind. The logz option fixed the depth problems perfectly in my couple quick tests. Is there a reason this isn't the default setting?
code is still young and not fully tested!

remove previous patch and try this one:
Index: plugins/GSdx/res/glsl_source.h
--- plugins/GSdx/res/glsl_source.h (revision 5698)
+++ plugins/GSdx/res/glsl_source.h (working copy)
@@ -600,7 +600,7 @@
" float gl_ClipDistance[];\n"
"};\n"
"\n"
- "layout(location = 0) in vertex GSin[];\n"
+ "in vertex GSin[];\n"
"\n"
"layout(location = 0) out vertex GSout;\n"
"\n"
Index: plugins/GSdx/res/tfx.glsl
--- plugins/GSdx/res/tfx.glsl (revision 5697)
+++ plugins/GSdx/res/tfx.glsl (working copy)
@@ -165,7 +165,7 @@
float gl_ClipDistance[];
};

-layout(location = 0) in vertex GSin[];
+in vertex GSin[];

layout(location = 0) out vertex GSout;

====================================
Okay, add me as a positive review of the logz option. For my setup depth problems are prevalent with the default setting, but non-existent with logz.

Tried that, no change. How much of a benefit is this shader? Are there any sort of benchmark results? Also, would it be possible to detect if the program is running on nvidia hardware (and maybe just the proprietary drivers) and disable the geometry shader if the override option is set to autodetect? At least until the problem gets fixed.

And another small problem with FFX. Hopefully this is as easy a fix as the last several I've come up with. The first second or so of the battle transition animation is squished up in the upper-left hand corner and only displaying a fraction of it. Similarly, Auron's overdrive pop-up is shifted a bit to the upper-left and only displays the upper-left quarter of the pop-up. Which makes it impossible to see the key sequence.

Steel01
Could you try this patch? I completely redo all shaders interfaces with luck it might fix the geometry shader issue.
patch -p1 < fs_vs_interface.patch
Attachment? Tongue

Steel01
Sorry Wink
Well, this error makes no sense to me. What assignment?

Code:
glX-Version 1.4 with Direct Rendering
Supported Opengl version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.23 on GPU: GeForce 9600 GSO/PCIe/SSE2. Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
DEBUG: check_gl_supported_extension
INFO: GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 is not supported
0(220) : error C1035: assignment of incompatible types

tfx.glsl (entry gs_main, prog 20) :
#define GS_IIP 0
#define GS_PRIM 1

0(238) : error C1035: assignment of incompatible types

tfx.glsl (entry gs_main, prog 21) :
#define GS_IIP 0
#define GS_PRIM 2

Steel01

Edit: The line numbers given in parens (220 and 238) are calls to EndPrimitive().

Edit 2: Weird problem with this patch. I disabled the geometry shader and continued playing. The title bar said FFX was running at 60 fps, but the audio in in-game cut scenes was far outpacing the video. Though, at one point the fps meter did dip to 45. Odd.