Gsdx future discussion
First topic: Drop old renderer

I would like to create a legacy GSdx plugin. It is more or less the current state of the GSdx. It would remain available for DX9 (very old GPU on Windows & MacOSx) and the GL3.3 (for less old GPU on linux).

The future GSdx will just drop DX9 and GL3.3 limited drivers (various GL4 features are compatible with GL3 hardware class, even GL2 HW class). It means that Windows DX10/GL3 GPU will only have access to DX10/11 renderer. On linux, DX10/GL3 will be supported on the free driver.

In order to keep the number of build manageable, I propose to keep only SSE2 for it. (if you have a recent CPU, time to upgrade the GPU).

Next step, in a more distant future, will be to introduce pure HW GL4 features (i.e that requires DX11/GL4 class GPU).

Second topic: Support integral texture coordinate
Hardware GPU filtering unit uses float (or normalized integer) value as texture coordinate. It is fast but it suffers of a couple of limitations. The idea will be to use pure integer (aka not normalized). It would help to
* Fix texture sampling on some games such as Lupin 3rd
* Reduce memory usage (allow to use a subset of the texture instead of a full 1024x1024 texture)
* Reduce texture cache downsclaling
* Future: bypass the texture cache in some special draw (you know the top-left corner bug Wink
* Sampler management will be much easier (i.e no more sampler actually Tongue2)

But there is a catch. HW unit only supports float so integer filtering will be done in SW (must be read as in shader)
* Bad for the performance. Increase memory bandwidth requirement (in case of linear filtering). Increase ALU computing (might be hidden by the memory access)
* No more anisotropic filtering
* No more custom resolution (well maybe it can be partially emulated with a float factor)

Sponsored links

(03-06-2016, 11:06 PM)gregory Wrote: * No more anisotropic filtering

Is this as bad as it sounds? Anisotropic filtering is not a minor loss, even if it was replaced with another type of filtering.
I am in for most of the proposed changes. I think the current status of Gsdx is already decent enough and a legacy plugin based on current status should be good enough for everyone concerned.

I am already looking ahead to gregory fixing top left corner bug and top half of the screen bug no matter how bad a performance hit it creates because IMHO these are the two major issues remaining with Gsdx. I have already stopped using Anisotropic filtering and custom resolutions long time ago so those are non issues for me.
As much as I hate dropping anisotropic filtering, it's effect is quite limited in 99% of games. So I can live without it.

Personally no more custom resolution doesn't bother me, but I can hear some people getting ready to yell already. You'll see Tongue2

I think I vote in favor.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yeah, at first I was against dropping anisotropic filtering being dropped, but I never use it, so I guess I'm in favor of the changes here.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
well looking at this thread http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Removal-o...-from-GSdx

Removal of custom resolution was pretty much accepted as long as we could fix the screenshot resolutions which come out wrong.

Anisotropic filtering, not a huge loss, i think BRZ is more desired than that to be honest. If it means better compatibility and easier to implement other features and better compatibility when upscaling, I think it's a good idea.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

BRZ would be secks.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
i still dont see how people like brz i think it look horrible to each there own i guess, Though i not sure why would want to just keep sse2
(03-08-2016, 01:32 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: i still dont see how people like brz i think it look horrible  to each there own i guess, Though i not sure why would want to just keep sse2

I think he meant for the legacy plugin.
Yes he meant for the legacy plugin in order to manage how many things we have to build.

Though really the legacy plugin only needs built one time, so I don't think it's a bad idea to include all of the extensions.