Gsdx future discussion
Well, if we implement the filtering in shader, we could implement any algo.

Anyway what do you mean by modern iGPU exactly?
Intel Window:
* Requires Dx10 GPU (potentially at least Sandy Bridge)
* Forget about openGL, likely need broadwell or newer (Intel only supports iGPU 1 year .... they don't have enough money to pay 1 guy for the support .... )
Intel Linux:
* Of course no DX
* Sandy Bridge will work.

AMD Window:
* If DX10 capable GPU => DX10
* If DX11 capable GPU => openGL will work (as Intel the issue is driver quality)

AMD linux
* Of course no DX Wink
* DX10 capable GPU will work with the free driver

If people have issue they need to complain to theirs HW vendors so they provide a bigger support of their products. I don't think it is the job of the application to find alternate solution for unsupported driver. The one that force people to upgrade are not us but HW company that limit (with the driver) the capabilities of their chips.

Sponsored links

The new restrictions are no problem except for the speed issue, which we don't know how big it'll be.
The benefits for compatibility are huge.

So I'm all for it! Smile
(03-09-2016, 12:04 PM)gregory Wrote: Well, if we implement the filtering in shader, we could implement any algo.

Anyway what do you mean by modern iGPU exactly?
Intel Window:
* Requires Dx10 GPU (potentially at least Sandy Bridge)
* Forget about openGL, likely need broadwell or newer (Intel only supports iGPU 1 year .... they don't have enough money to pay 1 guy for the support .... )
Intel Linux:
* Of course no DX
* Sandy Bridge will work.

AMD Window:
* If DX10 capable GPU => DX10
* If DX11 capable GPU => openGL will work (as Intel the issue is driver quality)

AMD linux
* Of course no DX Wink
* DX10 capable GPU will work with the free driver

If people have issue they need to complain to theirs HW vendors so they provide a bigger support of their products. I don't think it is the job of the application to find alternate solution for unsupported driver. The one that force people to upgrade are not us but HW company that limit (with the driver) the capabilities of their chips.

Yeah that's what I was asking.

And hmm. I agree that it's not our job to deal with the fact that Intel are twats and only support 1 year of GPU. However, I do wonder what percent of our userbase would be affected. But by the looks of what you said, on Windows at very least DX11 would be usable by recent iGPU, on Linux it looks like recent iGPU will be fine but may have to use the free drivers. So they should have a way forward for the most part. If the effect on compatibility is as big as you guys seem to think then I think it's worth it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I've got the feeling that PCSX2 (or GSDX) has currently way too much per-game settings.
I hope that the future of GSDX will summarize most of the options to make PCSX2 more lika a plug-and-play emulator.
(03-09-2016, 01:13 PM)rama Wrote: The new restrictions are no problem except for the speed issue, which we don't know how big it'll be.
The benefits for compatibility are huge.

So I'm all for it! Smile
Perf impact is on the GPU. So worst case will be a reduction of upscaling.

(03-09-2016, 08:14 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Yeah that's what I was asking.

And hmm. I agree that it's not our job to deal with the fact that Intel are twats and only support 1 year of GPU. However, I do wonder what percent of our userbase would be affected. But by the looks of what you said, on Windows at very least DX11 would be usable by recent iGPU, on Linux it looks like recent iGPU will be fine but may have to use the free drivers. So they should have a way forward for the most part. If the effect on compatibility is as big as you guys seem to think then I think it's worth it.
For me legacy users will be
* DX9 GPU
* Nvidia DX10 GPU (for openGL)

On linux, Intel doesn't provide a proprietary driver. And AMD mostly announced that catalyst support will be dropped.

However, no guarantee on the compatibility increase Tongue2 (well at least 1 game will now be playable)

(03-10-2016, 01:01 AM)K-G Wrote: I've got the feeling that PCSX2 (or GSDX) has currently way too much per-game settings.
I hope that the future of GSDX will summarize most of the options to make PCSX2 more lika a plug-and-play emulator.
There isn't a ton of options in GSdx. There are mostly provided for old computer so they can play the emulator. We could remove various options but it will increase the minimum requirement too much.
(03-08-2016, 06:10 PM)refraction Wrote: Sort of, but the postprocessing of the textures rather than the final image, so it can be used successfully on 3d. Potentially will be less intensive due to textures being cached.

For example on PPSSPP using Monster Hunter (bad example as it looks crap, but shows it can be done)

Without BRZ: http://forums.ppsspp.org/attachment.php?aid=4415

With BRZ: http://forums.ppsspp.org/attachment.php?aid=4416

still dont like BRZ make thing look like it has water painted effect. which why i dont like it on snes emulators either. all forms of BRZ I seen look like that to me some better some worse but same effect at end of day. people actual like that effect and think it looks good? If BRZ was ever the only shader effect used in any emulator/game I would not use at all.

I all for remove of DX9 from main plugin and have legacy plugin for it.
If BRZ is implemented one day, it will be an option not a replacement of others shader effects. Trust me, you will survive another checkbox Wink
Perhaps not even another checkbox. If it was implemented as a texture filter(which would be the most versatile way) it could just be added to the texture filtering drop down box.

If you are using something like xBRZ you want to start with the raw pixels as they are. E.G. you don't want any bilinear or anything happening first.

So basically you would take the raw texture, then run it through xBRZ. Then, after that, you'd have to run it through something like bilinear to get it to the appropriate size that the GS or whatever wants it at. I don't think you can just apply arbitrarily sized textures to things can you? So yeah assuming you can't, you'd need a final resizing step with bilinear.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(03-10-2016, 09:40 PM)gregory Wrote: If BRZ is implemented one day, it will be an option not a replacement of others shader effects. Trust me, you will survive another checkbox Wink

yah question was more of how can anyone like the effect   Laugh

like the fact dx9 is being moved to legacy plugins, personally i think it long long over due, DX9 should of been shot tared and feathered and set on fire long ago, to many dev still use it.
I'm not against changes that will open better ways to improve the emulator, but removing a feature that's important to many games like AF does not seem like the right move.

[Image: CyLLeXX.gif]

It's more obvious in full screen:

http://i.imgur.com/CyLLeXX.webm

Notice that this is slowed to 30-fps compressed footage, it's actually looks worse than that, try it. This is not a minor difference by any means.

I don't know why people here say AF is useful only in a limited number of games, it's not. Any game with far or even a mid-range visible distance will be affected by it.

If AF really can't be done efficiently with this new method, maybe limit this method to the games that need it or look better with it than the old one?

(03-10-2016, 08:16 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: yah question was more of how can anyone like the effect   Laugh

I like it a lot with most 16-bit and before games, and many games in 32-bit era.